Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2005, 23:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

got a nice link, but hosted by an accessory shop based at cochin.
http://www.georgeandsons.net/scf_gs.html

i am thinking of getting garware for my santro. should be far better than local films right? and vkool and 3m would be more costly for me.
Old 10th November 2005, 12:05   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
i am thinking of getting garware for my santro. should be far better than local films right?
Garware is absolute VFM and installed properly, will serve you extremely well for years.

I've had Garware's Charcoal 35 installed in my old Omni as well as my current Indica. The Omni's sunfilm was intact (not a single scratch or bubble) after 3 1/2 years when I sold it. The Indica's sunfilm is also intact after 2 1/2 years now.

For those in Chennai, I recommend Car Decor on Woods Road (off General Patters Road just after the MRF office). They do superb sunfilm installations.
Old 10th November 2005, 12:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

thanks mate. how much did you pay for the films for the indica?
Old 10th November 2005, 12:33   #64
BANNED

Quote:
thanks mate. how much did you pay for the films for the indica?
I don't remember the exact amount but it was around Rs. 700 for the Indica in April 2003 (4 windows + rear windscreen).

The Omni cost the same amount in December 1999 (take into account inflation + more film required for the Omni - 2 extra windows at the rear)
Old 10th November 2005, 12:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

did u get any film for the front glass?
Old 10th November 2005, 12:40   #66
BANNED

Quote:
did u get any film for the front glass?
No! I like to keep my front windscreen clean.
Old 12th November 2005, 15:41   #67
BHPian

If you want a VFM sunscreen film for front windscreen.. you can try out Autografix sunfilm. I got it installed in my front windscreen for INR 1200. The sunfilm is metal based and uses the same principle as in 3M and Vkool. It's very good and am satisfied with it.

Last edited by protege : 12th November 2005 at 15:43.
Old 12th November 2005, 16:14   #68
Awaiting Email Confirmation

checked out the autographix thingie here in mumbai and yup has no issues to my knowledge...great choice
Old 12th November 2005, 16:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Issue with Llumar

I'd fixed Llumar's metallised clear film on my front windscreen (Safari) and I've had a funny issue: the front windscreen mists up on the inside on rainy days even if all the windows are down. The windscreen becomes clear again only if you switch on the a/c...bloody irritating and I havent found this issue on other clear windscreens so far.

Noticed this when I was in Bangalore as well (it was raining)...night driving with the windows down on a rainy day is out of the question as you simply cant see whats ahead.

I've also had trouble with bubbles coming up on all my windows (only the ones which wind down..the rear windscreen and the third row of fixed glasses dont have the prblem). As it came with unconditional warranty I got the guy to come down and change all the window tints at no cost, but I wonder if this will pop up again. The chap had the cheek to blame the Asahi glass for it.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th November 2005 at 16:24.
Old 12th November 2005, 16:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I'd fixed Llumar's metallised clear film on my front windscreen (Safari) and I've had a funny issue: the front windscreen mists up on the inside on rainy days even if all the windows are down. The windscreen becomes clear again only if you switch on the a/c

But Steeroid, as far as I know, this is a 'feature' of all Tata vehicles.
- windshield gets misted up from the inside unless you turn the AC on.
- windshield gets misted up from the outside -just above wipers- if you keep the AC on for a prolonged time.

Both conditions happen when its raining or its a cold night. So IMO, Llumar is not a culprit in this issue... I have NO films installed in my car and the same thing happens.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12th November 2005, 16:34   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
Both conditions happen when its raining or its a cold night. So IMO, Llumar is not a culprit in this issue... I have NO films installed in my car and the same thing happens.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for the feedback, but this shouldnt happen with all windows down...I have both issues on the Safari, but the latter issue is very minor as there were just a couple of spots which my dealer has taken care of.

PS: I didnt have the windows misting inside problem before I fixed Llumar. It happens if you have the windows up (normal with all vehicles) but with the windows down there were no problems.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th November 2005 at 16:35.
Old 12th November 2005, 16:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I'd fixed Llumar's metallised clear film on my front windscreen (Safari) and I've had a funny issue: the front windscreen mists up on the inside on rainy days even if all the windows are down. The windscreen becomes clear again only if you switch on the a/c...bloody irritating and I havent found this issue on other clear windscreens so far.

Noticed this when I was in Bangalore as well (it was raining)...night driving with the windows down on a rainy day is out of the question as you simply cant see whats ahead.

I've also had trouble with bubbles coming up on all my windows (only the ones which wind down..the rear windscreen and the third row of fixed glasses dont have the prblem). As it came with unconditional warranty I got the guy to come down and change all the window tints at no cost, but I wonder if this will pop up again. The chap had the cheek to blame the Asahi glass for it.
Steroid, normally all metalised films have this tendency. In fact when this happens, you are sure that the film is authentic. The bubbles caused are due to the moisture traped within the layers of the glass and the film. Due to day time heat the moisture heats up, expands and tries to escape into the atmosphere. The metalised film being tough does not yield to this, therefore a bubble is formed. All you need to do is to sqeeze this out with a firm squeezy pressed down on the film and pushing it to the edge of glass. (In oder to avoid scratches on the film, wrap the SQUEEZY with a soft paper tissue). In fact the company recomends that this be done after a week of installation. In some places where humidity is high, you have to do this twice or even thrice. No cause for alarm. Enjoy the COMFORT .
Old 12th November 2005, 16:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy
Steroid, normally all metalised films have this tendency. In fact when this happens, you are sure that the film is authentic. The bubbles caused are due to the moisture traped within the layers of the glass and the film. Due to day time heat the moisture heats up, expands and tries to escape into the atmosphere. The metalised film being tough does not yield to this, therefore a bubble is formed. All you need to do is to sqeeze this out with a firm squeezy pressed down on the film and pushing it to the edge of glass. (In oder to avoid scratches on the film, wrap the SQUEEZY with a soft paper tissue). In fact the company recomends that this be done after a week of installation. In some places where humidity is high, you have to do this twice or even thrice. No cause for alarm. Enjoy the COMFORT .
Varun

I tried squeezing the film, when it didnt work I squeezed the dealer to change the film. Problem solved.

PS: I dont have this issue with the Vkool and 3M films I have on my vehicles here. Its as humid (if not more) here too.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th November 2005 at 16:41.
Old 12th November 2005, 16:49   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, but this shouldnt happen with all windows down...I have both issues on the Safari, but the latter issue is very minor as there were just a couple of spots which my dealer has taken care of.

PS: I didnt have the windows misting inside problem before I fixed Llumar. It happens if you have the windows up (normal with all vehicles) but with the windows down there were no problems.
Just as you see condensation on the outside of tumbler with cold water in it. the same phenomenon occurs on the front Wind screen Glass. Since the temperature on the outside is lower than the warm inside, whenever it rains, the front wind screen becomes foggy because of this. It is the first glass that comes in contact with the atmosphere because the vehicle is moving forward.That is why it does not happpen as much in the other glasses.
When you switch on the AC the temperature inside matches that of the outside and the problem disappears. In fact if the AC is set at very low temperature , then this fog will happen on the outside and even your wipers will not be able to clear it. It helps if you keep the all your windows rolled down by about quarter inch. When the later happens, its risky to drive on a brightly lit street.

Last edited by varunroy : 12th November 2005 at 16:52. Reason: Correct errors
Old 12th November 2005, 16:52   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy
It helps if you keep the all your windows rolled down by about quarter inch.

Read my posts - I said it happens with all windows rolled down COMPLETELY.

As for the rest, I am aware of it as I've been driving for a few years now.

Most Viewed