Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2016, 23:20   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was talking about glasses as in spectacles. Confusing word, maybe. But photochromic sun film would be wonderful. I think they use this sort of technology for big glass buildings?

Especially for the front windscreen, I'd buy photochromic film straight away, if I could possibly afford it, I suspect that I wouldn't be able to
Yes sir, I got that as I'm into sunglasses a lot . If the tint is blocking out the UV rays then the sunglasses won't turn dark is what you were saying, correct?

Apart from Serengeti I don't see any other brand worth buying for photo chromatic sunglasses.

Here's something interesting - http://shop.smarttint.com/Automotive_c_315.html
Old 9th April 2016, 11:44   #2072
BHPian

Got the front windshield done with CR70 at 3M RS puram, Coimbatore. Took about 3 hours in all including the body wash, interior cleaning and the installation of the sun-film.

Cost: Rs. 8565 (All inclusive)

Breakup:

CR70:
Consumable:5990
Service charge:1100

Wash:
Consumable:150
Service charge:240

VAT and other charges added another 1085

Warranty period is 5 years and covers the following:
1. Colour fading
2. Delamination of film.

It does not cover the following:(verbatim)
Minor spots, because of dust particles at the time of installation, is not part of warranty.

The car was first washed and dried, the installation took place in a closed environment to prevent any dust intrusion. Post installation of the film, the interiors were vacuumed and cleaned up.

Some pictures of the process:

Inside the washing bay:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-1.jpg

Washing in progress:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-1a.jpg

Post washing the car is moved out and wiped down:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-2.jpg

Stock windscreen:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-3.jpg

CR 70 cut to rough size:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-4.jpg

Film being heated to achieve the contour of the screen:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-5.jpg

The film is held in place by stickers to ensure it does not move around.
Front windscreen sunfilm?-6.jpg

The edges of the film being marked. The technician mentioned that edge of the windscreen has a dot pattern and the film needs to be stuck only till that point as it will not adhere to the windscreen.
Front windscreen sunfilm?-7.jpg

Using soap solution to ensure no air bubbles:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-8.jpg

Ensuring that the film is complete till the edge of the windscreen:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-9.jpg

Final touches being given and the heat gun being used to contour the film:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-10.jpg

Final look after the installation:
Front windscreen sunfilm?-11.jpg

The 3m logo present on the glass is the only giveaway that the windscreen has tints.

Initial observations:
1. There is a waviness observed in the film, but I was told by the technician that it will be resolved in a day or so once the film adheres to the windscreen and no soap solution remains in-between them.
2. The AC definitely cools quicker.
3. Not much change in visibility during day or night, will update after driving around for a few days.

So all in all, money well spent.( I hope )

Last edited by batterylow : 9th April 2016 at 11:53. Reason: Additional data
batterylow is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 14:49   #2073
Distinguished - BHPian

Fascinating. Thank you very much for the photo documentary!

I had no idea that they gave the approximate shape to the film by heating it on the outside of the glass before fixing it on the inside.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 16:50   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The 3m logo present on the glass is the only giveaway that the windscreen has tints.
Normally they remove the logo by rubbing some solution. Sorry, I don't remember the name of it. I had specifically asked about the presence of logo before getting the film installed, since it might interfere with the visibility.
Old 9th April 2016, 20:46   #2075
BHPian

Finally got CR70 installed on my GT TSI. For now installed only on front windscreen, will install on windows after seeing how effective it is. 3m store experience was good. Installation was good, but looked like they hurried a bit. Cutting could have been done mote precise for the price I pay. But overall good experience. Will report on effectiveness after going on super hot sun in chennai

Front windscreen sunfilm?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1460214968.578405.jpg
Old 9th April 2016, 23:50   #2076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid93 View Post
Finally got CR70 installed on my GT TSI. For now installed only on front windscreen
Your car has the VW factory-tint glass? how dark do you find the combination of factory tint plus CR70?

I'm sure you will notice a difference. I'm just guessing, but I bet European VWs get higher-tech heat-resistant glass (for those cold countries!) and we don't.

Quote:
Installation was good, but looked like they hurried a bit. Cutting could have been done mote precise for the price I pay.
Hmmm... I feel that this is one of those jobs where only perfection is acceptable!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 17:20   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Your car has the VW factory-tint glass? how dark do you find the combination of factory tint plus CR70?

I'm sure you will notice a difference. I'm just guessing, but I bet European VWs get higher-tech heat-resistant glass (for those cold countries!) and we don't.

Hmmm... I feel that this is one of those jobs where only perfection is acceptable!

Hi, i replied yesterday but it somehow didn't get approved (Newbie problems :( ). Anyway, VW factory tint on front glass is very minimal(Almost 0 heat rejection). So, it gets little bit dark and your headlight appears little yellowish.
Btw, went out today in hot sun, its definitely lot better but not as good as i expected. Maybe because its applied only on front windshield. Also when viewed from outside, rainbowish tint is seen which cops can easily identify in in my opinion.

PS: Mine had 3M logo stamped 6 times. Took a ear bud, dipped it in WD-40 and used it like a pencil eraser over the logo and it disappeared magically Hope someone find this information useful.
sid93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 23:24   #2078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, i replied yesterday but it somehow didn't get approved (Newbie problems :( ). Anyway, VW factory tint on front glass is very minimal(Almost 0 heat rejection). ... ... ...
Thanks! And welcome newbie! 14 posts and 9 thanks is not bad going for a new member. I don't know the procedures, but I'm sure you'll be posting freely soon.

The VW tint may make the light a little easier on the eyes, but I agree that there is zero heat rejection there.

They should wipe off the 3m logo before you leave. I guess it is good to reassure people that they have had the genuine article fixed, but no-one would want it left there.

Off topic, but I am wondering about insulating the cabin roof space!
Old 11th April 2016, 00:12   #2079

Quote:
Hi, i replied yesterday but it somehow didn't get approved (Newbie problems :( ). Anyway, VW factory tint on front glass is very minimal(Almost 0 heat rejection). So, it gets little bit dark and your headlight appears little yellowish.
Btw, went out today in hot sun, its definitely lot better but not as good as i expected. Maybe because its applied only on front windshield. Also when viewed from outside, rainbowish tint is seen which cops can easily identify in in my opinion.
CR70 is definitely effective, parked my Toffee Brown Vento tsi here in Gurgaon in a Sunny Hot day at CyberHub also with a friend's White Vento. (Which was looking very dull compare to my toffee brown . He also complemented about the colour). we did sit in both Cars and we could tell the difference in heat coming inside. White Vento was burning compare to my toffee brown. (And that's not even a fair comparison because White have advantage in terms of solar reflectivity).
I have CR70 on front WS and front two side windows.

Regarding cops, I don't think in NCR there should be an issue. Not sure about Chennai though, heard cops are more strict in Chennai, Bangalore.
Old 11th April 2016, 02:48   #2080
BHPian

So how does anyone get past the cops? If I remember, the ban was for all sunscreens no matter how much light it allows. Isn't this taking a risk?
Old 11th April 2016, 08:39   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
So how does anyone get past the cops? If I remember, the ban was for all sunscreens no matter how much light it allows. Isn't this taking a risk?

Ya, its risky especially on front windscreen since it produces a distinct rainbow tint when viewed from outside :( I don't know whether it will vanish after water fully evaporates. Should have done it only on windows since its very easy to spot even from a distance when its applied on winscreen. My bad :(
Hope they don't rip it apart even if i get caught.
Old 11th April 2016, 12:36   #2082
BHPian

Yesterday I did a short drive from Chennai to Pondicherry in the scorching sun, for the first time after getting the sunfim fitted on my car. Started at 11:30 AM and drove around 3 hours with a stoppage for lunch, where it was parked in open sun.
Though, I had experience with the CR70 on the front windshield in my previous car, this is the first time I could test having it all round the car. CR70 did a pretty good job in limiting the heat, considering how hot it was outside, AC blower had to be kept at minimum, with temperature set at 24 for most of the journey. There was no oven kind of feeling when you enter the car after it was parked in open sun for more than 45 minutes.

It seems the grade of CR70 sold by 3M for the front windshield is different from that for other windows. While it is very difficult to detect the presence of film on the front windshield, the film on the other windows has a very prominent bluish tint when viewed from outside.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 12:50   #2083
Senior - BHPian

What is the legal situation/insurance cover status in case of an accident from which one can't run away along with the car, when there is any film installed?
Old 11th April 2016, 13:03   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Yesterday I did a short drive from Chennai to Pondicherry in the scorching sun, for the first time after getting the sunfim fitted on my car. Started at 11:30 AM and drove around 3 hours with a stoppage for lunch, where it was parked in open sun.

Though, I had experience with the CR70 on the front windshield in my previous car, this is the first time I could test having it all round the car. CR70 did a pretty good job in limiting the heat, considering how hot it was outside, AC blower had to be kept at minimum, with temperature set at 24 for most of the journey. There was no oven kind of feeling when you enter the car after it was parked in open sun for more than 45 minutes.

It seems the grade of CR70 sold by 3M for the front windshield is different from that for other windows. While it is very difficult to detect the presence of film on the front windshield, the film on the other windows has a very prominent bluish tint when viewed from outside.

There is no difference between front windshield and windows CR70. For front windshield it comes in 4ft roll whereas for windows it comes in 2ft roll. I saw the box in which the rolls come. 4ft roll costs ₹89000 for 100ft. Just look at the profit margin :O
sid93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 11:29   #2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
I got Icecool shield at front,and Icecool Grand all round (just check my garage).Cost was about Rs 9000 total.Professional fitting,no issues till date.Keeps the car real cool in hot Kolkata summer.
Could you please suggest from where in Kolkata you got your film done? In my previous car film done from Autofair, Kakurgachi, there were air bubbles so I wouldn't go there. Also, I can't find the mention of Icecool Grand anywhere, not even in garware's website - so is it discontinued?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks