Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 23:27   #2086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Finally got Llumar films installed. Pp70 for the windshield and pp60 for all others. The heat rejection is good and its made a difference.

My next car will get the air 80 for the windshield along with the pp60. That's an even better combination.
Attached Thumbnails
Front windscreen sunfilm?-20160420_1815031.jpg  

Front windscreen sunfilm?-20160420_1814131.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2016, 00:28   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
What is the legal situation/insurance cover status in case of an accident from which one can't run away along with the car, when there is any film installed?
While your question is a valid one, are you implying that one should one run away from an accident when possible ?
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 01:32   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
While your question is a valid one, are you implying that one should one run away from an accident when possible ?
I am hoping he meant the situation where the car has to go to the police station and the insurance company will do a thorough inspection of the vehicle. Could they theoretically deny you insurance in that case. In a small accident (fender bender), you can just claim the insurance without all that hassle generally.
Old 23rd April 2016, 06:36   #2089
Senior - BHPian

I was referring to the minor fender benders where it may not be a problem. Get the police involved and the risk of sun film being found is very high and a loss assessor that does his job as he ought to, will deny the claim under the illegal modification escape clause in the policy. He could also argue that the accident was caused by reduced visibility and is therefore not entitled to be paid. How are you going to argue against that?

Bottom line, sun film is illegal and installed at one's own risk and consequence.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 19:31   #2090
BHPian

Please suggest which film is the top of the line from Garware? To confuse further, there are too many types in Icecool range like Elite, Grand, Arctic cool, NF etc.
For front windscreen 70% vlt film theres another one called Shield along with different Icecool subtypes.
Do the 50% tints used on windows come in different colors like charcoal, gray, green etc.? If yes then, which color shade looks good and goes unnoticed with the cops?
Old 27th April 2016, 23:32   #2091
Distinguished - BHPian

I am very concerned about both practical and legal issues with adding CR70 to already-factory-tinted glass. Even though the heat reduction may only be half, I want to go with an almost-completely-clear film. My local 3M does not stock CR90.

Can I get CR90 at other Chennai outlets where a good job would be done? Can a high-quality alternative film be suggested?
Old 27th April 2016, 23:34   #2092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
Please suggest which film is the top of the line from Garware?
Icecool Shield VLT70, as suggested by the distributor here.

http://pixelshopee.com/uploads/files/del.jpg

Front windscreen sunfilm?-del.jpg

Last edited by condor : 27th April 2016 at 23:37.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 06:54   #2093
Senior - BHPian

I have used CR90 in the past, and I haven't found it to be less than the 70 for all but one very important area - cutting the glare from the sun. The 90 is close to useless for that.

Unfortunately cutting glare seems to go hand in hand with light transmission levels, and the only way to handle that effectively in the current legal situation is to wear sun glasses.
Old 28th April 2016, 09:14   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can I get CR90 at other Chennai outlets where a good job would be done? Can a high-quality alternative film be suggested?
I know that its illegal, however still...

What I have in my car is Hüper Ceramic 70. I had it installed in 2010, didn't bother to remove it. Its damn expensive (7K for front windshield( fiesta classic), 14K for all around). But its damn effective. You need to tell someone that it has film. Heat rejection is really good. I generally found its better than 3M CR70 in similar condition.
Old 28th April 2016, 12:09   #2095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Icecool Shield VLT70, as suggested by the distributor here
Many thanks, you just cleared my confusion. So, its Ice cool shield for front windshield and Elite for the windows.
The front windshield of the car has written "Transparency 70%" on it. I always wonder if its a factory tinted glass? Would appreciate any help to clear this doubt also. Thanks once again.
Old 28th April 2016, 12:19   #2096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
Many thanks, you just cleared my confusion. So, its Ice cool shield for front windshield and Elite for the windows.
Why not Snow Glaze for side & back ? Then again, that needs to be available.

Note: the Ice-Cool Shield comes in single use roll packaging, sealed.

Can you give more details about the second part of your post ?
Quote:
The front windshield of the car has written "Transparency 70%" on it.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:21   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Yes, if accurate, it is factory tinted glass that allows only 70% of the light to pass. If you stick a VLT 70% film on top, effective VLT will be down to 49% - 70% of 70.

Are you confident this will not render the car unsafe on poorly lit night roads - in other words, most Indian roads?
Old 28th April 2016, 13:02   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Why not Snow Glaze for side & back ? Then again, that needs to be available.
Is Snow Glaze better than Elite? Thought of Elite, just because Elite is a popular name from Garware. If Snow Glaze is better, then why not?

Quote:
Note: the Ice-Cool Shield comes in single use roll packaging, sealed.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Can you give more details about the second part of your post ?
Sorry for confusing. Both the queries are for two different cars. The factory tinted glass query is for the car that I already have.
Garware sunfilm query is for the car to be newly bought. My bad, I should have mentioned this earlier.

Quote:
Yes, if accurate, it is factory tinted glass that allows only 70% of the light to pass. If you stick a VLT 70% film on top, effective VLT will be down to 49% - 70% of 70.

Are you confident this will not render the car unsafe on poorly lit night roads - in other words, most Indian roads?
Thanks for the reply. I don't intend to put any sunfilm on the tinted car. The garware films would go on the new car.
Old 28th April 2016, 14:06   #2099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have used CR90 in the past, and I haven't found it to be less than the 70 for all but one very important area - cutting the glare from the sun. The 90 is close to useless for that.

Unfortunately cutting glare seems to go hand in hand with light transmission levels, and the only way to handle that effectively in the current legal situation is to wear sun glasses.
Thank you!

That is 100% fine with me. I am quite happy to wear sunglasses when driving. Even with CR70 I did so on brighter days. Even in UK I used to: I find it reduces the fatigue of driving.

It is the heat that we want to beat, even if only by a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I know that its illegal, however still...

What I have in my car is Hüper Ceramic 70. I had it installed in 2010, didn't bother to remove it. Its damn expensive (7K for front windshield( fiesta classic), 14K for all around). But its damn effective. You need to tell someone that it has film. Heat rejection is really good. I generally found its better than 3M CR70 in similar condition.
I suspect the prices are probably now much higher: that is close to what 3m charge for CR70.

Had been meaning to ask about Huperoptik, having seen it mentioned in some old posts.

Any recommended Chennai dealer? And for CR90?

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2016 at 09:42. Reason: Quoted post deleted, hence...
Old 28th April 2016, 15:14   #2100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is the heat that we want to beat, even if only by a little.
Bear in mind that after some time it won't help. If it cuts heat by 50%, in 30 minutes under the sun the car, that will still be a glass greenhouse, it will still get as hot as it would otherwise in about 15. And the Indian sun in summer can do a lot in just 15 minutes of accumulated heating of a greenhouse.

It helps therefore for relative short city drives when starting from parked in the shade. After an hour or so under a strong sun, it equals out. Glare and UV reduction are the only longer term benefits that remain; UV because eliminating over 99% of UV is a big deal even after a few hours of cumulative exposure.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2016 at 09:43. Reason: Please use the 'report this post' functionality for any thread requests

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks