Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2005, 23:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Front windscreen sunfilm?

I was selecting some basic accessories to be installed before taking delivery and I was surprised to find there was a sunfilm for the front windscreen.

The guy told me that the cooling affect is better than having a side/rear sunfilm. He said just put this on your front WS and you can forget the side/rear sunfilm, the car will be cooler. This was much more expensive than side/rear sunfilm.

At 5.5K it was not easy decision, so I didn't go for it. Does anybody think it is a good thing? Any experiences...
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2005, 23:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check whether its V Kool or 3M film that he's talking about - V Kool is more expensive but the 3M (Scotchtint) is as good.

These are 'clear' suncontrol films which have some kind of metallic oxide inside. Very effective in blocking out the heat, since you cant put the normal suncontrol film (colored variety) on the front windscreen.

Note that your cellphone reception will be reduced since these films contain metal. If you use them on all windows (bloody expensive to do so) you'll probably block most of your coverage out.

5,500 for the front windscreen sounds like a good figure provided its one of the better known varieties. V Kool charges Dhs 700 (Rs.8,400) for the front windscreen only while 3M charges Dhs 550 (Rs.6,600) for the same. I have 3M on 2 of my cars and V Kool on the other - no difference noted.

Any other brand will not be worth the price. Go for it !
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2005, 23:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

I had provided the URL... and it doesn't affect the cellphones.

http://www.llumar.com/int-eng/irfilm.html

Last edited by Samurai : 18th April 2005 at 23:36.
Old 18th April 2005, 23:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I had provided the URL... and it doesn't affect the cellphones.

http://www.llumar.com/int-eng/irfilm.html
Never heard of them here. V Kool rules the market for clear film - you might notice some cars with an "I'm V Kool" sticker
Old 19th April 2005, 00:01   #5
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never heard of them here
Lumar is an American company. When I went to put on mine, I was also told about this & my reaction was exactly the same as yours. However, if you were to go for such an expensive film, my advice would be to stick to vkool.

Last edited by RJK : 19th April 2005 at 00:07.
Old 19th April 2005, 00:13   #6
BHPian

There was a Garware Films stall at BKC during the times motor show last month.

They had it for about 1600 to 1800 rs for the front screen films.

Dont know much about the quality, but the sales rep thier tried his best to give us cost advantage vis a vis same quality with imported films.
Old 19th April 2005, 01:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have Lumar PP60 on the front windshield on most of my cars ranges from about 3.5k on a lancer to 4k on a skoda for a single piece film, matched with Steel 50 on the sides its works very effectively. V Kool rules the roost however money becomes an issue on that.
Old 19th April 2005, 09:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

i too have lumar steel 50 on my front windshield and is very very effective.
Old 19th April 2005, 10:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
i too have lumar steel 50 on my front windshield and is very very effective.
Looks like it is a good thing then, is 5.5K a fair price?
Old 19th April 2005, 11:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
I have Lumar PP60 on the front windshield on most of my cars ranges from about 3.5k on a lancer to 4k on a skoda for a single piece film, matched with Steel 50 on the sides its works very effectively. V Kool rules the roost however money becomes an issue on that.

so,if you have a front windscreen film,is the film on the side windows not required.
Old 19th April 2005, 11:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
so,if you have a front windscreen film,is the film on the side windows not required.
Thats a misconception. Film all around will obviously do a better job than just film on the front windscreen.

You dont need clear film on your side windows so that could be your 'normal' variety.

I'm surprised you dont get 3M Scotchtint in India - the prices are better than V Kool and the quality is as good.
Old 19th April 2005, 12:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

we do get 3m in india.prices are pretty much around the same as vkool
Old 19th April 2005, 14:50   #13
BHPian

changed the sun film yesterday of my 800 and my hubby got the guy to put the front w/s film also. dont have the price details right now but will get the brand and price details soon.

was only worried about the RTO rules about the dark films.

any suggestions

shubbhi
Old 19th April 2005, 14:53   #14
BHPian

But won't putting film on the front windsheild compromise the safety since the shattering of the glass won't happen in case of impact. Also, you won't be able to break it open if required.
Old 19th April 2005, 15:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
But won't putting film on the front windsheild compromise the safety since the shattering of the glass won't happen in case of impact. Also, you won't be able to break it open if required.

its good if the front wind shields dont shatter. that is how the wind shields nowadays are designed. they will stick together on some sort of a film so that they dont cause any damage to the driver. also they'll break up into round blunt edged pieces only.

putting the front wind shield sticker will not have any effect on the saftey. If you are talking about breaking the glass in case of an accident (touchwood) or something then it'll not be a problem bcas the thin film will not actually be doing anything much except maybe hold the smashed wind screen from falling everywhere.

Most Viewed