Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:31   #1

Mahindra Scorpio CRDe - 2WD to 4WD conversion

Hello folks,

I have a 2005 Oct Scorpio CRDe Dx 2WD.
Wondering if I can get it converted to 4WD..??

Is is possible at all? If so, what are the technical difficulties involved? and also (obviously), the costs involved (a gestimate is fine).

I am sure someone here would have some advice for me.

A reply in kind would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Suhas
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

conversion will be a big project with a lot of cash involved, you'll need transfer case, drive shafts both front and rear, front diff, complete front suspension change [the lower arm, and the torsion bar for the same] the springs the mounting for the same have different mounting from the 2wd setup. cost somewhere in the region of 1.5 L for the setup.
Old 4th January 2009, 18:32   #3

Dear dinar,

Thanks for your inputs and valuable time.
I guess, during these troubled times of recession and global economic slowdown, one shudders to think of spending a coupla lakhs on the upgrade .

More importantly, I wanted to know the difficulties involved in the 2WD-4WD conversion and I daresay you have given me sufficient stuff...

Again, thanks for the prompt reply.

Happy driving!

FYI: I am planning a trip to Chikmagalur during the long weekend of Republic Day.

Regards,
Suhas
Old 4th January 2009, 21:33   #4
rippergeo

Ok, suppose, there was money available for the conversion- how easy would it be to get these parts from mahindra? 4WD Scorpios are not easy to find even normally, getting spares for them.....?

Old 4th January 2009, 23:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Ok, suppose, there was money available for the conversion- how easy would it be to get these parts from mahindra? 4WD Scorpios are not easy to find even normally, getting spares for them.....?
You can source the parts from elsewhere too, avoiding Mahindra. But keep in mind that the Scorpio uses an electric 4wd switch and not a lever. This switch is fairly costly and is made available on special request only. The other parts, you should be able to source locally.

Having said that, I would not recommend the conversion. Apart from the reasons mentioned by dinar and ripperego, a converted 4wd Scorp will never be as reliable as an original one. I am assuming you are looking for a 4wd because you have off-roading activities in mind. Would a convert be able to consistently withstand the pounding of OTR excursions?
If you have that kind of a budget, I'd suggest you look for a used Gypsy and fix it up nicely. Your 4x4 needs will be well taken care of! Keep the Scorp as it is.

Last edited by razor4077 : 4th January 2009 at 23:19.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Spares can be ordered from M&M [very difficult though],but the main difficulty is in the harness, the whole system needed to work with rest of the electronics in the car. And than there is the point of relocating the front suspension mounting points [very difficult, need to fabricate a sub frame to mount it or do a lot of welding work], me and a friend tried to mount the front suspension on a MM540, couple of years back, we had got our hands on the front of a damaged 4x4 Scropio . tried for a year to make it work and than sold the whole jeep in scarp.due to time issue and lost interest.
But it may be possible [easy] to mount the front on a scropio chassis, you will have to compare the fronts of the two vehicles or get friendly with the M&M work force at the service center.
Find who the vender for the scropio 4x4 setup are and approch them for the components, they usually give these system under their name and are comparatively cheaper.
Old 5th February 2009, 14:59   #7
BHPian

As the new mHawk[or face lifted Scorpio] seems to have 4x4 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...scorpio-6.html can anyone with close association with dealer confirm that this can be done with older mHawk, I am not going to do it right now, but I may go ahead with it after know the feasibility. Reagrding the reliability of the vechile it depends on the amount of detailing and parts sourced

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 5th February 2009 at 15:01.
Old 5th February 2009, 20:39   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

well said razor
you are bang on target!

and anyway if such a conversion programme is being considered it would be sensible to write to Mahindra and ask their opinion.
Or atleast ask Mr Behram Dhabhar of TBHP who is an acknowledged expert on these vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
You can source the parts from elsewhere too, avoiding Mahindra. But keep in mind that the Scorpio uses an electric 4wd switch and not a lever. This switch is fairly costly and is made available on special request only. The other parts, you should be able to source locally.

Having said that, I would not recommend the conversion. Apart from the reasons mentioned by dinar and ripperego, a converted 4wd Scorp will never be as reliable as an original one. I am assuming you are looking for a 4wd because you have off-roading activities in mind. Would a convert be able to consistently withstand the pounding of OTR excursions?
If you have that kind of a budget, I'd suggest you look for a used Gypsy and fix it up nicely. Your 4x4 needs will be well taken care of! Keep the Scorp as it is.
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:02   #9
sandeep sharma

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th November 2009 at 10:44.
  Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks