Team-BHP - Gypsy vs. MM for custom Rubicon
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Gypsy vs. MM for custom Rubicon (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/51588-gypsy-vs-mm-custom-rubicon.html)

Hey Guys,
I am looking at getting a custom Rubicon-looking jeep and wasn't sure if the Gypsy or the Mahindra MM's would be a better choice/platform to start with. Would appreciate your expert opinion.

1. Use
Drive to work (30 miles round trip, Delhi/Gurgaon, moderate traffic) and fun short trips with the family. Own a Innova for out-of-town driving, and a Fiesta. Will keep both vehicles).

2. Budget
5 -6 Lakhs total.

3. While the MM Jeeps are closer-looking to the Rubicon, I have heard/read that they are not very comfortable to drive. On the other hand, the Gypsy may need more body-work, but there are several aftermarket kits available, and it is .

4. What is your experience with extensive bodywork/customization. Are there likely to be fit and finish issues that will creep in over time. (Assume I'll go for a reputed body shop).

5. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Welcome to the site. You will find a lot of information you are asking for is already in existing threads. Use the search function to find the posts and threads.

Suggest you search on "rubicon", "dabwali", "punjab jeeps" for starters.

Most of us in this forum are more concerned with the mechanical problems and solutions related to off roading. But to each his own. There is also an SUV forum. If you are interested in family outings an SUV is more family oriented than a Gypsy or MM jeep. The latter do not accommodate families too well.

Instead of copying somebody else's idea, Rubicon, why don't you consider your own style? It may be cheaper and more satisfying.

@BigRig: i suggest you take a look at Harjeev's MM550 XD thread which includes a Rubicon replica project done at his friend's garage.

Here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ml#post1095371

Thats one project i defintiely have in mind, infact im already working out the feasibility with a few friends. I intend to build a 2008 Rubicon 3dr replica on a Gypsy King. And if budget permits add a more powerful petrol motor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autopsyche (Post 1118675)
Thats one project i defintiely have in mind, infact im already working out the feasibility with a few friends. I intend to build a 2008 Rubicon 3dr replica on a Gypsy King. And if budget permits add a more powerful petrol motor.

Wow that would be great. Look forward to that project.

OT: where did the thread on the rmonie's gypsy disappear? Can't see it any more. Wanted to look at the pictures of the gypsy man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autopsyche (Post 1118675)

Sure brings back some memories. :D Hope this happens real soon !! Looking forward to it..

Cheers

Oh that RMonie will put up the pics himself in a day or two, i got infracted for putting up those pics ;)

Hi BigRig,

The Jeep Rubicon has been a version of the Jeep Wranglers TJ, and JK. Both the TJ and JK have strong retro looking jeep styling. But keep in mind that the Rubicon is a variant that looks identical. The big difference with the Rubicon are the mechanicals. The Rubicon has upgraded axles and lockers that make it a supreme off roader.

Now if you want to make an ultimate off road performer, the you should try to build a Rubicon. But if you just want the look of a TJ Wrangler or JK Wrangler, that is is o.k., but it has nothing to do with a Rubicon.

If you want the visual appeal of either the JK or TJ, the CJ5/MM540/mm550 would be a much closer starting point than a Maruti Suzuki Gypsy.

You are correct that MM/Jeeps are uncomfortable, but so is the Gypsy. Drive both of them and make you own conclusion about which base vehicle suits you in terms of driveablity and comfort. I am personally a bit biased toward Jeeps, but you have to determine what is better for you.

The Gypsy has reliable japanese mechanicals, but uses petrol, so the operating cost of a diesel jeep would be much lower. A properly maintained jeep would also be reliable. Both can be made in to highly capable off roaders.

Aftermarket body work would never be as good as what the factory does. For example, I had a custom hardtop done on my MM550, which looks good 3 years later, but there are some rust spots and the rear hatch doesnt stay open. The interior carpets and a disaster, and will have to completely redone. Sometimes I wish I had left the roof as the original soft top.

My suggestion would be to go easy on the body fabrication trying to make it look like somthing it is not. Spend the money on a good mechanical condition vehicle, do some light modficiations such as tires/rims, paint job, mechanical work, suspension enhancement. That 5-6 L should get used up pretty quickly.

even though i would love to see a gypsy in this form , i feel the mahindra is better suited.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddartha (Post 1118855)
even though i would love to see a gypsy in this form , i feel the mahindra is better suited.

I too feel that Mahindra platform would be ideal. Find a Mahindra Major. It's a short wheel base and perfect for Rubicon modifications. Put broader tyres, make carbon fibre suspension, bikini top. Voila!

Dwarak

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMM340 (Post 1118832)
You are correct that MM/Jeeps are uncomfortable, but so is the Gypsy. Drive both of them and make you own conclusion about which base vehicle suits you in terms of driveablity and comfort.

I guess comfort wise the 540's are better than gypsy, at least thats what i have heard from people who have driven both.

Quote:

Aftermarket body work would never be as good as what the factory does. For example, I had a custom hardtop done on my MM550, which looks good 3 years later, but there are some rust spots and the rear hatch doesnt stay open...
Oh, sorry to hear about that. That hardtop is the best one i have seen in any 540/550's.

Quote:

Spend the money on a good mechanical condition vehicle, do some light modficiations such as tires/rims, paint job, mechanical work, suspension enhancement. That 5-6 L should get used up pretty quickly.
Yeah with that kind of budget, he is well capable to add on lots of performance goodies. But kindly don't advise the same type of improvements as in your red monster:D, not all people can handle it.
-best regards,

I was just discussing this project with another customer yesterday... and the more i think of it, the more i want to go with the Gypsy as a donor car. Im very convinced it can be pulled off, the only glaring difference being the exra bit of metal from the door to the rear wheel arch due to the long wheel base version suzuki we have in india.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwaraka (Post 1119169)
Find a Mahindra Major. It's a short wheel base and perfect for Rubicon modifications.
Dwarak

MM540/550 is the best and cost effective platform for such a maker over.

Dwaraka,

Is there any difference between MM540/550 and Mahindra Major in terms of Wheel Base? I think both has got same, Medium WB (91"). Am I correct?

sali

spend some time on the 4x4 section on this forum and participate in the discussion and learn and share views and get to know about the conversion of MM into whatever you want.

cheers: