Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2009, 14:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
but isnt the ECU is sealed all around to prevent it form water. i guess they are.
The ECU is water tight only if the ECU is placed in the engine bay. If the ECU is in the cabin then it is generally not water tight.
Old 10th January 2009, 14:20   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The ECU is water tight only if the ECU is placed in the engine bay. If the ECU is in the cabin then it is generally not water tight.
ohh ok.. now i get it.
thanks for the info
Old 10th January 2009, 14:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
How cheap is that !! How much of a diffrence in price would it be to have a watertight ECU for all cars irrespective of ECU placement ??
Old 10th January 2009, 14:56   #19
BHPian

Where exactly is the ECU placed in a swift?
Old 10th January 2009, 17:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Where exactly is the ECU placed in a swift?
The ECU is The Electronic Controller Unit which manages all the Electrical supply of your car.
It Also manages the Fuel Pump / Engine Firing, etc...
In short it is the Brain of the Car
And costs between 50000 - 100000 Depending on the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
How does this happen? Is it coz of the liquid they use to clean the windscreen? Any technical explanations?
They Use Soap Liquid first to Wash the Windscreen clean...
Then they use another liquid to help the suncreen be placed correctly as it has a Adhesive which without the liquid will stick immediately

Now both these liquids are used liberally and sprayed on to the glass area

I hope now you get the point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
So basically a whole lot of water killed the ECU??? What nonsense!! So basically if i were to like throw a bucketfull of water on the windshield, the ECU would die? Or if i were to drive thorgh a thunderstorm for that matter!!
Hey Cyrus the problem What i stated was that the water was sprayed from inside and not outside....

And Yes if you threw a bucket of water on the inside of your windscreen your ECU will Get Damaged in a 'Swift' . (But i Dont Understand Y u Would Throw A bucket of water inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I think it is just a matter of getting the film installed properly.

I have Llumar AIR75 installed on the front windscreen of my Swift (Done quite a while back). There were no issues during or after installation. They placed a custom-cut semi-thick cloth sheet on the dash, under the windscreen, and taped it down before they began the install. Yes, the install is pretty messy, with a lot of water and soap solution getting all over the place.

My film was installed by the Llumar dealer's people itself. The car was taken to their godown, away from the dust of the main road and the install was done there.
Hi Hydra,

My film was also installed by LLMUAR people and was claimed to be the worlds best film and costed me 8000rs only for the front screen....
He was apraised about the problem and he also kept a cloth but anyways water seeped in.. I guess i was not lucky

Thus i was only cautioning my fellow BHP ians

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Llumar is the only company who seems to be having this problem. I got mine done from V-Kool and no problem till date.

I wonder why only Llumar has this problem?

Edit: When I went to Llumar for a front windscreen film they outright refused and stated the same problem. Went to V-Kool and they did it in 2 hours.
Hey Vikram,
I think they did not do it because in my case not only did they have to pay for the ECU but also for the Touch Screen Panel (JVC AVX-800) which got spoilt and also I did not pay for the Screen which Eventually is still in Place

Note from Mod - Please use the multiquote facility instead of separate threads

Last edited by ajmat : 10th January 2009 at 18:35.
Old 10th January 2009, 20:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

@paceofblood noida boy asked where exactly the ecu is placed in swift

as mentioned in this thred it is somewhere behind the dash board.

as far i know the liquid which sunfilms wala uses is a mixture of water and

ezee liquid soap.
Old 10th January 2009, 21:26   #22
BHPian

i have garware film installed on the windshield of my swift and no problem what so ever. other friends also have got film on the windshield of their swifts and they are fine.
Old 10th January 2009, 22:04   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
i have garware film installed on the windshield of my swift and no problem what so ever. other friends also have got film on the windshield of their swifts and they are fine.
well again it all depends on how the guy is applying the film or using the spary of water and shampoo. if they used lots of water to clean the windscreen and did not use any cloth regularly to soak the water then this can happen.
i have never heard about this in Ludhiana as ther are no. of swifts with flim on wind screen glass.
Old 11th January 2009, 12:08   #24
BHPian

Shux too late to read this thread...The damage has already been done on my friends swift!
Old 11th January 2009, 23:23   #25
BHPian

The lesson is that one should know the location of the ECU and whether it is waterproof or not before going for accessories or mods since it is such an expensive piece of equipment. In my optra the ECU is located in the engine bay itself and is completely waterproof but even then I do not allow the washing people to use water pressure inside engine bay and prefer air pressure blow cleaning of the engine bay .
Old 12th January 2009, 00:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

I checked with a dealer for windshield sunfilm for the Swift.. and he quoted 6k for the same. Says 1100 is installation charges (included). Does the Swift really need a windshield sunfilm ?
Old 12th January 2009, 00:40   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I had absolutely no such issues when I had the front windscreen film installed on my Swift.
Old 13th January 2009, 03:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Never even heard of this thing, but will be careful from now on, I have done a fair share of some 3M sunfilms on swift windscreens, but we always put pressure on the installer to take extra precaution. In most cases placing a plastic sheet on dash suffices.
Old 13th January 2009, 09:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader
Does the Swift really need a windshield sunfilm ?
Our Zxi is running with the stock tinted glass and I never felt the need for sunfilm. I would suggest you drive around for few days and then if you feel the need, you can go for it.
Old 13th January 2009, 10:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace in Blood View Post
My film was also installed by LLMUAR people and was claimed to be the worlds best film and costed me 8000rs only for the front screen....
He was apraised about the problem and he also kept a cloth but anyways water seeped in.. I guess i was not lucky

Thus i was only cautioning my fellow BHP ians
Your thread did help. In fact I had seen your thread before I got mine installed, and if the Llumar installer had not taken the required precautions, I would have insisted that they do, based on your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Our Zxi is running with the stock tinted glass and I never felt the need for sunfilm. I would suggest you drive around for few days and then if you feel the need, you can go for it.
It does help, SB. I was doing the same (driving without sunfilm) for a few months, before I got to sit in a friend's Swift with the front-windscreen-film installed. There was a huge difference in the sun, with zero loss of visibility. You don't feel the direct heat, or that prickly sensation of the sun hitting you directly with this film installed. The only thing is that it is quite a bit expensive. Since I will be using my car for another 5 years anyway, I felt the expense was justified.

Most Viewed