Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 12:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

True Ashok. Thats what a few dealers and Swift users have told me too. Does it also help reduce the glares in the night ?

How much is it in Kerala ? In Chennai I've been quoted at 6k for the front.
Old 13th January 2009, 12:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
... Does it also help reduce the glares in the night ?

How much is it in Kerala ? In Chennai I've been quoted at 6k for the front.
I haven't felt that it helps cut glare at night. The dealer said so, but well, I don't think so

It is the same here in Kerala too. I was initially quoted 6K for the front. I got my side-windoes and rear-window done in Platinum series Neutral 35SR at the same time. The total for AIR75 in front and 35SR in rear & the sides came to 8K or 8.5K after haggling. It has been a while since I got the install done, so I don't remember the exact split-up.
Old 14th January 2009, 17:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I checked with a dealer for windshield sunfilm for the Swift.. and he quoted 6k for the same. Says 1100 is installation charges (included). Does the Swift really need a windshield sunfilm ?
The front Sunfilm is more important than the side windows for me....

The maximum amount of heat comes into the car from the windscreen and rear glass as they are tilted and exposed to the sun. whereas the door ones are not directly exposed.

As per me put a better quality sunfilm front & rear for best performance...

And 6k is a good rate but do make sure the make & whether it is completely transparent....
Old 14th January 2009, 17:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I haven't felt that it helps cut glare at night. The dealer said so, but well, I don't think so

It is the same here in Kerala too. I was initially quoted 6K for the front. I got my side-windoes and rear-window done in Platinum series Neutral 35SR at the same time. The total for AIR75 in front and 35SR in rear & the sides came to 8K or 8.5K after haggling. It has been a while since I got the install done, so I don't remember the exact split-up.
Quote:
Your thread did help. In fact I had seen your thread before I got mine installed, and if the Llumar installer had not taken the required precautions, I would have insisted that they do, based on your experience.

It does help, SB. I was doing the same (driving without sunfilm) for a few months, before I got to sit in a friend's Swift with the front-windscreen-film installed. There was a huge difference in the sun, with zero loss of visibility. You don't feel the direct heat, or that prickly sensation of the sun hitting you directly with this film installed. The only thing is that it is quite a bit expensive. Since I will be using my car for another 5 years anyway, I felt the expense was justified.
Hey Ashok I am glad that it has helped you not become a victim of this ordeal....
The latest update on my car is that Maruti has remapped my ECU and claim it is as good as new lets c what happens in the near future.....
All the lights that were coming up on the dash are now gone(Hope maruti has not taken the bulbs out)

As for the glare at night part.... It certainly does help in reducing the spread of the light but not in the intensity of the light..... If you wanna reduce that then you need some colour in the film maybe a light shade will do BUT dont recommend it as it also reduces your vision outside.......
Old 14th January 2009, 19:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace in Blood View Post
All the lights that were coming up on the dash are now gone(Hope maruti has not taken the bulbs out)
All lights coming on in the instrument cluster means water had entered into it and not the ECU. This happened on my car also as the washing boy sprayed extra water on the windscreen from inside while cleaning it. As and when the water dried out, all lights went back to normal.
Old 15th January 2009, 09:22   #36
BHPian

I put V-kool 70 on my cedia's front windshield yesterday.
After reaching home in the evening, I observed some abnormality with the door lock. I could hear the door lock/unlock sound occasionally even when the door was locked.

I sat inside the car for sometime to observe this and realized that it is only the sound comes, but the door is not actually locking/unlocking. Also I did hear a small humming sound (something like the noise produced by speakers) inside the car all through the night. The same was observed in the morning when I was leaving for office.

Looks like everything went off after a drive of 30km in the morning. Haven't seen any issues after reaching office. Will observe it for two more days.

Hope nothing serious!
Old 15th January 2009, 09:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

I've put Llumar SR50 Sunfilm on sides and rear of my Swift. It looked perfect that time. But today I notice small small bubbles all over. Is it installation problem or will things get settled later ?
Old 15th January 2009, 09:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I've put Llumar SR50 Sunfilm on sides and rear of my Swift. It looked perfect that time. But today I notice small small bubbles all over. Is it installation problem or will things get settled later ?
I too have it with V-kool
It should get settled after the water inside is dried out. May take take few days though.
It was clearly mentioned in V-Kool warranty card. Also mentioned by the installation guys.
If it persists over three or four weeks, it should be installation problem and should be covered under warranty
Old 15th January 2009, 10:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks SJ.

Guess I need to be a bit more patient 1st car blues I think
Old 15th January 2009, 10:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
They use a whole lot of water before applying the film. This reduces the air bubbles and keeps the glass clean to avoid dust particles in the film.
They basically clean the windshield to nearly dust free before fixing the sunfilm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Our Zxi is running with the stock tinted glass and I never felt the need for sunfilm. I would suggest you drive around for few days and then if you feel the need, you can go for it.
Tinted glass is only for your windows & rear, not the front windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace in Blood View Post
The front Sunfilm is more important than the side windows for me....

The maximum amount of heat comes into the car from the windscreen and rear glass as they are tilted and exposed to the sun. whereas the door ones are not directly exposed.
Very very true.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
As far as my experience goes if there is excess water due to which these bubbles are there then have it removed before they dry up as if they dry up then they leave a air bubble behind which is even more dirty to look at.....

So please have these bubbles removed by the installer with the help of a rubber plate like thing that they use....
Old 20th January 2009, 15:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

@Fountainheader, I had a few bubbles on one of the side windows on the day of the installation. I left the car in the sunlight the next day and the bubbles were gone.

There were a few persistent bubbles in the small quarter-panel in one of the rear side windows that did not go after 3 days. I took the car to the Llumar people (where the install was done) and they removed the film from that portion of the glass and redid it for me under warranty. There was no issue after.

Wait for 3-4 days, and if the bubbles do not go, go to where the install was done. They will fix it for you under warranty.
Old 20th January 2009, 15:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Fountainheader, I had a few bubbles on one of the side windows on the day of the installation. I left the car in the sunlight the next day and the bubbles were gone.

There were a few persistent bubbles in the small quarter-panel in one of the rear side windows that did not go after 3 days. I took the car to the Llumar people (where the install was done) and they removed the film from that portion of the glass and redid it for me under warranty. There was no issue after.

Wait for 3-4 days, and if the bubbles do not go, go to where the install was done. They will fix it for you under warranty.
Ashok,
I've got it reinstalled. The bubbles on the sides are completely gone. But the rear glass again has got some bubbles. I am actually pissed off, and there is no point going to him again and again if he cannot do it properly.

Plus I dont want him to screw up the defogger! Plan to go to MASS or some better place in Bangalore for the rear, maybe when I get the windshield sunfilm.
Old 20th January 2009, 15:43   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ashok,
He is not Ashok. The name is Anup
Old 21st January 2009, 03:18   #45
BHPian

No water required

Hi everyone,
I too have installed or rather have tinted the windscreen of both my Baleno(Garware) and my brothers Swift(Lumar). However we got it installed from the car accesories shop and not from the actual showroom, and they did not use only water for the fitting, they first stuck the tint from the outside using a heating gun and then removed it and then from inside they again stuck it with the heat gun. I am pretty sure they did not use water for the windshield, but yes for the windows there was no heat used it was only the shampoo water.
Correct me if am wrong. cheers:

Most Viewed