Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2009, 12:55   #1
BHPian

CAUTION!!! Swift Owners installing Front Windshield Sunfilm

I had gotten my swift fitted with sunfilm on the front windshield through LLumar. The company people installed it and to my horror my ECU got damaged....

The water seeps into the ECU as they have placed it somewhere below the dashboard where water seeps in.

On enquiring further i have found out that this has happend to quite a few swifts in mumbai.

BE CAREFUL
Old 10th January 2009, 13:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

How does a sunfilm installation allow water to seep in????
Old 10th January 2009, 13:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Llumar is the only company who seems to be having this problem. I got mine done from V-Kool and no problem till date.

I wonder why only Llumar has this problem?

Edit: When I went to Llumar for a front windscreen film they outright refused and stated the same problem. Went to V-Kool and they did it in 2 hours.

Last edited by vikram_d : 10th January 2009 at 13:08.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

They use a whole lot of water before applying the film. This reduces the air bubbles and keeps the glass clean to avoid dust particles in the film.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2009, 13:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

How does this happen? Is it coz of the liquid they use to clean the windscreen? Any technical explanations?
Old 10th January 2009, 13:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
They use a whole lot of water before applying the film. This reduces the air bubbles and keeps the glass clean to avoid dust particles in the film.
Where do they use a whole lot of water ? On the windshield before applying that ? And how does that prevent dust particles ? Sorry to say, I am simply not getting it.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

The liquid is nothing more than a mild soap solution. Also the ECU according the M.A.S.S folks is a watertight unit.

The point I find puzzling is that why is only Llumar facing this problem.

Last edited by vikram_d : 10th January 2009 at 13:22.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:25   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Where do they use a whole lot of water ? On the windshield before applying that ? And how does that prevent dust particles ? Sorry to say, I am simply not getting it.
Before applying the film you use the wetting agent which is soap water to clean the glass. Then you apply the wetting agent to the film as well as a lubricant. when that dries the sunfilm sticks better. Then after the film is applied again you apply the wetting agent. This is to lubricate the film when you squeege it out to remove airbubbles using the tool.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2009, 13:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think it is just a matter of getting the film installed properly.

I have Llumar AIR75 installed on the front windscreen of my Swift (Done quite a while back). There were no issues during or after installation. They placed a custom-cut semi-thick cloth sheet on the dash, under the windscreen, and taped it down before they began the install. Yes, the install is pretty messy, with a lot of water and soap solution getting all over the place.

My film was installed by the Llumar dealer's people itself. The car was taken to their godown, away from the dust of the main road and the install was done there.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:27   #10
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm. But how does that affect the ECU ?

After all, we do drive in heavy rains.

Edit: Oh !! Its from the inside.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th January 2009 at 13:38.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:29   #11

So basically a whole lot of water killed the ECU??? What nonsense!! So basically if i were to like throw a bucketfull of water on the windshield, the ECU would die? Or if i were to drive thorgh a thunderstorm for that matter!!
Old 10th January 2009, 13:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
So basically a whole lot of water killed the ECU??? What nonsense!! So basically if i were to like throw a bucketfull of water on the windshield, the ECU would die? Or if i were to drive thorgh a thunderstorm for that matter!!
Uhmm, its from the inside actually.

Anyway if the installer is intelligent enough from experience, like someone mentioned all you need is a properly placed cloth / soaking material which will prevent any water seepage into the dash thus avoding any complications with the cars electricals. Doesnt matter if its lumar / vkool / 3m / garware, the process is still the same.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:35   #13
BHPian

I think the point is that the film is installed from inside the car,hence the wetting agent is even applied from inside the car and some of the water reaches and spoils the ECU.Its wierd though.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:51   #14
BANNED

but isnt the ECU is sealed all around to prevent it form water. i guess they are.
Old 10th January 2009, 14:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
but isnt the ECU is sealed all around to prevent it form water. i guess they are.
Water can get into the ECU box. My cousin had to replace the ECU(that went kaput) of his OMNI due to water seepage(the car was guys washed the interiors too).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks