Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 17:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Roadside Bumper repair guys. Has anyone seen or tried them? EDIT : Pics on pg 2

Of lately I have seen these guys roaming around on the road in my area carrying a box with "Bumper repair of all cars" written on it. Today one of the guys approached me when my car was parked. He saw that the left corner piece of my OHC bumper is slightly disclocated from the centre piece. He asked me if I wanted to repair it, I replied in the negative. He even gave me his card and asked me to call if I needed to. He gives home service he says. Infact a few months ago I had seen a similar guy working on a Civic bumper in my building.

Has anyone else out here seen these guys going around anywher else? I see atleast 2 or 3 of these guys in my area every time I go out, and more importantly has anyone used their services.
Old 20th January 2009, 18:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

These Roadside bumper repairing thing is around for quite sometime...had first seen them in Bhopal around 2000-01, there are few here too in Karol Bagh, Delhi.
They reapir the bumper with chisel like tools....
They heat those tools and fix the cracks on bumpers or something like that.....
AFA their work goes its kinda so-so, have seen mostly their customers are 800 owners..
Old 20th January 2009, 19:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Won't you still need to get the bumper repainted? I'd rather build up a good rapport with a paint-shop and have them fix my bumper whenever any problem arises. Then again, if their prices are low, wouldn't hurt trying them out.
Old 21st January 2009, 13:44   #4
BHPian

ive tried it on my swift! initially it seems pretty ok, but after a while it gets distorted, n yes you do need to repaint it, in my case he touched it up. Cracks never completely dissapear but its a good quick fix as from a distance you cant tell just like a touch up. But its not the ultimate solution for any guy who's very finicky about finish.
Old 21st January 2009, 13:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

My neighbour got it done on his Accent rear bumper Silver colour, it had scraped a footpath whileparking and slit for about 6 inches. IIRC, he took some 2-300Rs.

Its joined using heat and then covered with a 2inch tape of the same colour. I would say I was impressed with the makeshift repair, although it lasted 5-6 months only, breaking up again from the joint. Worth the money spent, otherwise you need to get your bumper replaced for this kind of tear.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Long back I remember guys used to do this to repair plastic buckets that developed leaks.

Now they repair bumpers, India Shining.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Boss,

India shining kya - they do a pretty snazzy job as well. a senior bhpian got his bumper back into shape for just 700 bucks from a balti wala near the A.S.s - this including the repair and minor touchup
Old 21st January 2009, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've seen them around here too, but haven't tried yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
AFA their work goes its kinda so-so, have seen mostly their customers are 800 owners..
AFAIK, M-800 comes with metal bumpers.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I've seen them around here too, but haven't tried yet.

As far as I can remember the 800 except the first gen has always had plastic bumpers.

Last edited by bblost : 21st January 2009 at 14:20.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Except for the SS40 none of the 800 model had a metal bumper....
Old 21st January 2009, 14:46   #11
BHPian

@dippy got my car's rear bumper fixed this way. 3 months back holds fine till date.
Regarding fit and finish. Fit is perfect. you would not know that the bumper has been repaired.
Regarding "finish" If the mounting joints/clips are broken then no problem since the work done cannot be seen. if however your bumper plastic is broken. then yes a scar would be visible once its joined.
post a pic of the centre bumper piece and lets see if it can be done. OR come up to my building and let me see
Old 21st January 2009, 16:20   #12
BHPian

These guys are my life savers . My scorp's front bumper is an auto magnet and ends up getting its corner cracked. These guys fix it for 200 bucks as opposed to a 1500+250 for a replacement. Since my bumpers are unpainted, I have no issues at all.

Vijay
Old 21st January 2009, 18:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
ive tried it on my swift! initially it seems pretty ok, but after a while it gets distorted, n yes you do need to repaint it, in my case he touched it up. Cracks never completely dissapear but its a good quick fix as from a distance you cant tell just like a touch up. But its not the ultimate solution for any guy who's very finicky about finish.
I second that. Had my bumper done up after a crash and the result looked good for a few days but the repairs don;t really hold up. Good for a quickfix but nothing more. Bargain before u agree to a price. These guys can really rip u off.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
As far as I can remember the 800 except the first gen has always had plastic bumpers.
Yep, I was wrong.

These guys have travelled all the way from the North, very difficult to communicate with them if you do not know Hindi.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:35   #15
BHPian

There is one shop near Tikona park in Faridabad. That guy is cheapest one and did very good repair on my bumper, no problem till now. He uses gas heating to repair bumper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks