Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 13:02   #91
Senior - BHPian

Any changes in the body / weight, whether minor or major will alter the handling dynamics for better or for worse.

Your assumption on the car is wrong, a chop job like this cannot be done without reinforcing the structure after cutting. There is zero possibility of the car sagging ever.
Old 29th January 2009, 15:08   #92
Senior - BHPian

I am glad that my assumption is wrong. While the car was being done I did see it on a number of occasions - never noticed any reinforcements, hence asked.

So is it possible to do a SX4 chop ?? Theoretically yes but practically ?

Cheers
Old 30th January 2009, 09:32   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
So is it possible to do a SX4 chop ?? Theoretically yes but practically ?
Whats practical for me might not be practical for you and vice versa. That would be a totally personal call if you want to chop it or not because no one can predict the end characteristics without actually doing it.
Old 30th January 2009, 09:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

Nice Modification.But is the modded car of same length as the Octavia ot the size has been reduced?
Old 30th January 2009, 09:55   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Whats practical for me might not be practical for you and vice versa. That would be a totally personal call if you want to chop it or not because no one can predict the end characteristics without actually doing it.

So what you are saying is that it is a gamble. The risk if any is mine. Right ??

That does not sound confidence inspiring, what say ? Stay away from this experiment, though the WRC SX4 looks really good.

Cheers
Old 30th January 2009, 10:56   #96
Senior - BHPian

Yes of course the risk is totally yours. You'll be better off importing a WRC SX4 if you really want that feel.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:09   #97
Senior - BHPian

The WRC SX4 is based on the SX4 hatch that is available abroad. It has the same wheelbase as the SX4 sold here.

If you take an Indian SX4 and convert it to a hatch the only effect on the handling will be that the rear will become lighter and will steup out more easily like in the swift. Besides that I dont think it will effect in any other way.
Old 30th January 2009, 21:04   #98
BHPian

@Arush After the Skoda Octi which has turned out as an excellent project. So in my opinion you should try out other cars as well, you have the skills and all other things necessary to carry out such a project and Mehul's Octi is an example set by yourself. Yes untill and unless the question arises where design complication and restriction comes into play, you really cant help it there. As they say "you can bend rules but cant break them." The best part i like about you and your way of working is that if something which can be done but would not be suitable for the owner/user, you convey the same to the customer as it would not be beneficial to him irrespective of the fact that you might be losing out an opportunity to earn out of it and that the reason you're doing well and have a good name in the market.
Trust me i have been to a few tuners in delhi and none would advice like you doas most of them only look at the incomming money rather than anything else. Kuddos to you on that!

If the SX4 is to be converted to the hatch version available in Europe the IMHO the only drawback i see is that the space for the spare tyre might be compromised incase the overhang of the boot is to be shortened. Other than that, as Vikram mentioned the chasis does not need to be modified as the wheelbase is the same. so ideally the boot is to be chopped off and the c-pillar also remains intact. It does seem like a good project.

Just my two cents.
Old 30th January 2009, 21:14   #99
BHPian

Just saw this thread, Awsome is the word good work Arush!, Mehul you car is looking beautiful and regarding converting SX4 to hatch version might also improve the performance figures since the car will get light on weight.
Old 31st January 2009, 10:54   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The WRC SX4 is based on the SX4 hatch that is available abroad. It has the same wheelbase as the SX4 sold here.

If you take an Indian SX4 and convert it to a hatch the only effect on the handling will be that the rear will become lighter and will steup out more easily like in the swift. Besides that I dont think it will effect in any other way.

Thanks for the input. I quite agree with your line of thought. Arush what say ??

Cheers
Old 31st January 2009, 14:40   #101
Senior - BHPian

A real head turner

Congrats Mehul on creating a real head turner!

I loved the side view of the car. The front is ok too though I personally would have liked the front air dam/scoop to be little more subdued. Frankly I hated the rear, not so much for the shape but for the tacky plastciky look. I am sorry, I dont mean to hurt anyone's feelings but having done such a great job on the front and profile, the rear is a disappointment.
Old 31st January 2009, 14:55   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
mehul, big and hearty welcome! thanks for putting up the pics too.

And thanks to everyone else for their views.

Speaking for myself, i absolutely love the way the car has come out

awesome job mate.I would've liked to see a little more design for the rear czo its more or less stock with additional sheetmetal.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:26   #103
BHPian

@ Arush: Seems like buddy you'll be getting lotta new orders for chopped to 2-seater rides..

@ Others: Ya guys will be posting up interior pics soon, if all things go as planned tomorrow..
Old 31st January 2009, 21:14   #104
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the appreciation ankur, 14000rpm. abhik those are very kind words, advice is best given free

Ill put up some nice pics of the car on monday, havent been able to take any shots recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Thanks for the input. I quite agree with your line of thought. Arush what say ??
I'll do it, but the risk is yours

PS: no more hijack of mehuls thread, calls for a new sx4 chop thread? hehe.
Old 31st January 2009, 22:21   #105
BHPian

Update on car:

Installed underbody neon & rear view camera..

Will be posting some nice pics along with the interiors soon..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks