Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 15:56   #1
BHPian

Cedia Security system

Hi,

I have brought cedia sports 10 months ago (April 2008) and I am extremely happy with it.

One thing that constantly bothers me on long drives is that I have to park my Cedia out in open. To my knowledge Cedia does not have security system that makes sound and attracts attention when some one tries to break in. So I want to understand what options do I have to make it more secure. Following are few I could see

Option A: Cedia already has good security system, it just that I am worrying too much

Option B: New cedia has improved securty features, go to dealer and get them

Option C: Buy a new security system from 3rd party vendors like Xenox, Autocop and over ride the OEM system

Option D: Buy a security system from 3rd party that compliments existing OEM system

Also for my curiosity did any one has expereince in using GSM based car tracking and security system. Any comments are most welcome and thanks in advance.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:59   #2
BANNED

well i dont think that cedia comes with any security system. all it has remote operated central locking system. i have a cedia for almost last 2 yrs now.
may be they have come up with some security system in the newer version.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:59   #3
BHPian

I am very keen on securing my car and any information from Guru's on the forum or from other owners of Cedia is most welcome.

Hoping to hear some inputs from the team here.
Old 1st February 2009, 20:07   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Get a well-equipped Autocop system + a gear lock (the kind that is bolted onto your car). An effective alternative to the gearlock is a steering -> clutch lock. You'll get either at any competent accessory shop.
Old 1st February 2009, 20:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why tinker with something thats not broken. I'm not even sure if autocop or the others are any better than the OEM central locking system. Worst case, get a steering lock.

To be honest, a Cedia Sports is the last car that any thief will try to steal. They have poor resale value. They are also so few in number and are instantly recognizable. Basically means its the last thing a car thief would want to steal. They are better off stealing boleros and scorpios.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:42   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I'm not even sure if autocop or the others are any better than the OEM central locking system.
Isn't the OEM only a central locking system? Autocop / similar come with motion sensors, alarm etc.

Quote:
To be honest, a Cedia Sports is the last car that any thief will try to steal.
True. Lesser chance of a thief stealing a Cedia for resale. However, a regular car like the Cedia could get flicked for a "job" (theft, transporting material etc.).
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you dont want to meddle with the OE electricals, just get the gear lock & steering locks. Or go to a competent person & get a good ant-theft system installed.
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:43   #8
BHPian

Thank you all for the inputs.

Yes Cedia (at least for models before May 2008) is just a remote control to central locking system. Worst of all is that if some one broke into the car, it has no means to attract attention using sound.

I will go with steering lock and gear lock, that way there is no need to touch any of the electrical also i guess it is economical.

Last edited by visu03 : 2nd February 2009 at 14:45.
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:51   #9
BANNED

visu - also remember that no security system is 100% secure. They will simply physically lift up your car, carry it for some distance, and do the breaking in out of ear reach.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:47   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
visu - also remember that no security system is 100% secure.
Agreed. But the key (pun intended) is to make things as difficult as possible.
Old 4th February 2009, 08:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
visu - also remember that no security system is 100% secure. They will simply physically lift up your car, carry it for some distance, and do the breaking in out of ear reach.
For a car thief the priorities probably are

1. Ease of breaking in

2. Time needed to complete the whole act of theft

3. Demand for the stolen goods

By adding security devices we are increasing the risk factor for the thief on points 1 & 2. Mitsu with its marketing in India is keeping point 3 in favour of the car owners (Not many cars, so no great demand for stolen spares)

Agree with GTO, the whole point of security in any stream is to increase the time needed to break in and make it as difficult (some times even boring) as possible.
Old 4th February 2009, 08:58   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by visu03 View Post
Thank you all for the inputs.

Yes Cedia (at least for models before May 2008) is just a remote control to central locking system. Worst of all is that if some one broke into the car, it has no means to attract attention using sound.

I will go with steering lock and gear lock, that way there is no need to touch any of the electrical also i guess it is economical.
Hi Visu,

I think you first need to decide what you want. On one side you say no means of attracting using sound whilst break in and on the other side you say steering & gear lock.

Pls understand those mechanical lock will only be useful in the event someone wants to steal your car and not the contents of the car or accessories like ICE etc.

Go for Xenos which will integrate with your OE locking and comes with a adjustable shock sensor(not motion). The alarm will activate if someone tries to break/remove your glass or opens any of the doors etc. The premium models also come with a immobilzer.

Viper
Old 4th February 2009, 09:05   #13
BHPian

Viper...valid point.

My goal is to have peace of mind when i park the car in open areas on my visits to new places.

Do you have any suggestion for a specific model of Xenox for me? Price is not a challenge, but the system should be practical i.e. not make sounds when a cat walks over it or a bystander on the road leans on it.
Old 4th February 2009, 09:11   #14
BANNED

Visu,

Unfortunately am not up to date with their model nos. All I can say is that they are one of the most reliable systems in the market. They are based on the world famous Viper Security Systems from Directed Electronics Inc USA and are manufactured under their technical collaboration here in India.

I'll try and look up the model for you if I find the website. The shock sensors sensitivity can be adjusted and involves a little time in setting it right.

Viper

Edit - Go for the FW 350. should be in the 5-6k price range. Here is the link to the site which gives the features.

Xenos Technologies Ltd.

Last edited by viper : 4th February 2009 at 09:14.

Most Viewed