Old 3rd February 2009, 00:43   #31
BHPian

How about a two door version?
Attached Thumbnails
SX4 chopped boot WRC style !!-sx4_2dr1.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2009, 09:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

@BBS

Thanks again for the great options. I quite like the Viva effect on the SX4 !! But here also the rear would need to be hinged from the roof (not sure) atleast that is how it was on the Viva.

I think if one were to eliminate / reduce the overhang after the rear wheel..that should do the trick. That with 17" wheels & possible lowered, maybe even the spoiler.

Arush is staying away from the thread, wonder why ?? Anyway

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:31   #33
BHPian

hello..

the photoshops are amazing. makes an otherwise ugly looking sedan so much nicer.
but am not too sure i'd want to chop it... no matter what ever you do the car would never handle the same. but thats just mine opinion.

cheers
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsport View Post
hello..

the photoshops are amazing. makes an otherwise ugly looking sedan so much nicer.
but am not too sure i'd want to chop it... no matter what ever you do the car would never handle the same. but thats just mine opinion.

cheers

Hi

Hibernating these days ?

Why do you say what you say of the chopping ? Any hands on experiance or horror stories ?

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:33   #35
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I feel a notch-back type conversion would be better. In that case you won't have to change much of the structure except getting a new rear quarter panel and a new boot lid custom made.
This would mean you will be decreasing the space of the luggage compartment.

If you would go for a complete Hatch-Back version than you will need to redesign the whole rear end chasis.
The strength of the chasis can be maintained by proper analysis of the whole structure.
Also I think you will need a new suspension setup according to the analysis.
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

2 Door looks even more clumsier than the 4-Door version.Any Suzuki is not known for any elegance or style..I hate Suzuki cars altogather
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:42   #37
BHPian

@BBS: Nice work buddy...

@Ricky: I think Arush is waitin for you to make your decision & show up at his WS.. Then only will he be giving his views..
Regarding the hatchback like rear glass & boot combi that should not be much a challenge for him, especially after seeing his work on my car..
Old 4th February 2009, 09:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehul0999 View Post
@BBS: Nice work buddy...

@Ricky: Regarding the hatchback like rear glass & boot combi that should not be much a challenge for him, especially after seeing his work on my car..

@Mehul

The one area of concern to me is that the SX4 unlike the Octavia does not have the rear windshield lift up as part of the boot. The Skoda already has the hinges on the roof, whereas the SX4 would need all that to be fabricated. Once the chopped boot & the rear windshield lift like in the Skoda, the hinge on the roof really has to be done right else there will be issues of misalignment / rattles etc.

Anyway, thanks for your inputs.

Cheers
Old 4th February 2009, 09:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

I don't think that should be an issue.Movement in one plane is not that tough to perfect.just make sure you get branded shocks from skoda or even maruti,but don't go in for aftermarket stuff.

Even the shocks used in the safari for lifting the bonnet are very good incase the boot lid is heavy.They never gave me trouble for the 5 years i had my last safari.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:44   #40
BHPian

@ricky : its basic logic that in a structure if you start chopping and hacking the stuctural integrity goes for a toss and you experience chassis flex, and over time a sagging chassis with stress fractures.if a saloon or coupe weighs x then the cabrio of the same car weighs x + so much more, the reason being what the shell looses on its top its made up for by additional strengthning underneath. and its not as simple as putting sheet metal and welding where ever you feel like to prevent it from flexing. same goes for cutting and hacking the shell and then putting it back. a prime example would be a car standing at our mutual friends merc dealer ship.a very rare bmw coupe ( same as mine ) chopped by some lunatic and all that that can be done today is send it to the breaker.

cheers
Old 4th February 2009, 20:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsport View Post
@ricky : its basic logic that in a structure if you start chopping and hacking the stuctural integrity goes for a toss and you experience chassis flex, and over time a sagging chassis with stress fractures.if a saloon or coupe weighs x then the cabrio of the same car weighs x + so much more, the reason being what the shell looses on its top its made up for by additional strengthning underneath. and its not as simple as putting sheet metal and welding where ever you feel like to prevent it from flexing. same goes for cutting and hacking the shell and then putting it back. a prime example would be a car standing at our mutual friends merc dealer ship.a very rare bmw coupe ( same as mine ) chopped by some lunatic and all that that can be done today is send it to the breaker.

cheers

Now that Speedsport is news to me I always assumed (logically) that a top-less car would be lighter..now I am beginning to wonder... BUT if one were to create a whole roll cage kind of structure would that not be adequate to take care of chasis flex ????

Please enlighten

Cheers
Old 4th February 2009, 21:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
BUT if one were to create a whole roll cage kind of structure would that not be adequate to take care of chasis flex ????
Please enlighten
Hmmm.. I see some serious & evil plans waiting for a sx4, i hope the grin at the end of your post is evil as well.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

roll cage is for crash impact protection. i dont think it adds dramatically to chassis stiffness..

by the way where is the question of losing the roof ? i thot u wanted to chop the boot off...

Last edited by narayan : 4th February 2009 at 21:31.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
2 Door looks even more clumsier than the 4-Door version.Any Suzuki is not known for any elegance or style..I hate Suzuki cars altogather
Now you have a Fiat Palio... so if I use 'hate' and the F word together, what do you think will happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Now that Speedsport is news to me I always assumed (logically) that a top-less car would be lighter..now I am beginning to wonder... BUT if one were to create a whole roll cage kind of structure would that not be adequate to take care of chasis flex ????

Please enlighten
It's true, the convertible/cabriolet version of a car is always heavier than its coupe/sedan sibling, and will always either handle worse or suffer from some form of scuttle shake. To figure out scuttle shake, take an old convertible onto a bumpy road.

Ricky, even if you put in a full rollcage, you will need a roofed one to compensate for the lack of a roof. I don't think we in India have reached that level where we can design a chassis/floor brace to take care of overall rigidity. Not worth it.

Just buy a Miata.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:04   #45
BHPian

Hey Ricky, how necessary is it for you to get the SX4 to be done to a hatchback version for WRC style look??

Have you considered any other options also?? Or is it coz of the car availability??

P.S.- just asking coz feel you yourself have got too many doubts in the mind for project!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks