Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2009, 20:39   #1
BHPian

Problems with Accent Viva CRDi

Hi All,

My Accent Viva CRDi is giving me some issues. Its a 2005 model with 74000kms done. Lately the car is taking quite some time to get warm upon starting. I noticed that it took nearly 5 minutes for the temperature gauge to move even slightly from a cold start. Also in case I start driving straightaway from cold start (keeping the RPM under 1500rpm) it covers nearly 5-6 kms before the temperature gets to normal.

Is it something that I should be worried about as I have read some pretty bad things about cars in this mileage range on some other threads.

Thanks..
Old 7th February 2009, 21:46   #2
BHPian

Most diesel cars need to run a few kilometers before their temperature gauge starts moving. It is quite normal. There is no need to panic. If after a considerable time of driving the gauge is still not moving, there may be some fault in the gauge. Then it is time to get a new gauge as you can't replace the cable etc.
Old 7th February 2009, 21:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

First get the thermostatic valve checked and verify that the temp gauge is OK.
Are there any other symptoms that you have noticed besides this temp issue?
Old 7th February 2009, 23:04   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the fast reply guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Most diesel cars need to run a few kilometers before their temperature gauge starts moving. It is quite normal. There is no need to panic. If after a considerable time of driving the gauge is still not moving, there may be some fault in the gauge. Then it is time to get a new gauge as you can't replace the cable etc.
But I dont think the car was taking so long to get to optimal temperature earlier. It is only since past 2000-3000 kms that I am noticing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
First get the thermostatic valve checked and verify that the temp gauge is OK.
Are there any other symptoms that you have noticed besides this temp issue?
I thought of it but in case if the gauge is faulty then it would'nt even get normal afterwards. But after some time the car does reach normal temp. I have also noticed some drop in pickup and topspeed. Earlier I was able to take the car to 150 quite easily and eventually upto 170-175. But now the car struggles to get to 150 and gets maxxed out at 160-165.
I had got engine decarbonising and injector cleaning done at 69000 kms at Hyundai ***.

Also one more thing. The *** guys told me that the engine mounting rubber is damaged and needs replacement and even my local mechanic have confirmed the same. I just wanted to know what are the cons of not replacing the mounting immediately and is there any cheaper version available as the *** guys are asking for Rs 11000 to replace both the rubbers.

Thanks
Old 7th February 2009, 23:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

you are having cold start problem or its just the guage you are worried about.
Old 7th February 2009, 23:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Delhi Winter Effect!
Old 8th February 2009, 06:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its absolutely normal man
Old 8th February 2009, 08:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The Delhi Winter Effect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its absolutely normal man
Goel.honey, I presume you have factored in the winter conditions!
If there is still a delay in the temperature coming to normal, get the thermostatic valve checked.

Engine mounting rubbers should be changed, if degraded.
The cost seems to be exorbitant. If you can source the same from a spare parts shop and get the job done elsewhere, it will be a lot cheaper.
This job is best not delayed as there is a possibility of consequential damage to other parts, in the event of the engine mounts falling apart.
Old 11th February 2009, 20:24   #9
BHPian

Ok But in that case I am unable to figure out why pickup and topspeed have dropped suddenly. And this has strangely happened 2000kms after the service.
Any idea on this bro's??
Old 16th February 2009, 03:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2004 Accent Viva CRDi which has covered 63000 kms now...

A couple of months ago, I took the car on a highway run early in the morning and got the chance to stretch her legs on the open roads.... to by surprise, the car refused to go over 145 - 150 kmph! The engine felt restrained. The same car, a few years ago cruised at 160+.

fter this incident I did a lot of reading on this forum and other sites on the internet. I had been running my car on premium fuels all its life (Turbojet, Extra Mile etc.) I switched my fuel from premium to normal unleaded diesel.

A month/couple of tankfuls later, I felt the power and urgency of the motor increase.

Another highway run confirmed my doubts when my car easily touched 165 kmph.

Hope this helps.
Old 17th February 2009, 19:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I have a 2004 Accent Viva CRDi which has covered 63000 kms now...

A couple of months ago, I took the car on a highway run early in the morning and got the chance to stretch her legs on the open roads.... to by surprise, the car refused to go over 145 - 150 kmph! The engine felt restrained. The same car, a few years ago cruised at 160+.

fter this incident I did a lot of reading on this forum and other sites on the internet. I had been running my car on premium fuels all its life (Turbojet, Extra Mile etc.) I switched my fuel from premium to normal unleaded diesel.

A month/couple of tankfuls later, I felt the power and urgency of the motor increase.

Another highway run confirmed my doubts when my car easily touched 165 kmph.

Hope this helps.
Thanks mate, but I'm already using normal diesel with Iftex System-D added from my side. Will definitely try doing so in the next couple of tankfuls.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goel.honey View Post
Thanks mate, but I'm already using normal diesel with Iftex System-D added from my side. Will definitely try doing so in the next couple of tankfuls.
The additives form a sticky layer on the fuel filter. So please be sure of using the particular additive. And about the premium fuel, these fuels have higher centane ratings. Only vehicles which can handle the centane ratings of the premium fuel should be used along with them. Other wise the energy can not be handled and most of it will be lost as emissions. Considering that the car is old it is better to use the normal diesal. If you are particular about the quality then fill only at BP petrol bunks.
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

I dont think Cetane value is different for premium diesel, it depends on what pollution norm is applicable at the place of sale and hence which is the diesel being sold (Bharth Stage II or Stage III), irrespective of normal or premium. Stage III has slightly higher cetane number.

In petrol yes if they publicize it as high octane as in 97 octane etc.
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:27   #14
BHPian

@Jaggu
I heard from Shell dealers near my house that the diesel has a higher centane count! Also heard from a reliable source that the refineries and the fuels sold are straight from the Mangalore refinery here in Karnataka.
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I dont think Cetane value is different for premium diesel, it depends on what pollution norm is applicable at the place of sale and hence which is the diesel being sold (Bharth Stage II or Stage III), irrespective of normal or premium. Stage III has slightly higher cetane number.
Check this message:

Yahoo! Groups

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks