Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 15:47   #121
BHPian

Amazing. Job well done. Drive safe my friend.
Old 18th February 2009, 16:58   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So, I had a chance to take this car out for a spin today. Two Words = MONSTER. INSANE!!! Believe me when I say this, no drooling over a dyno chart can tell you of what the power delivery is like in real life. It is outright SCARY. You will walk out of this car entirely unnerved......have to experience it to really know what we are talking about here.

Below 3,000 rpms, it feels like "just another" powerful car. The clutch takes some getting used to. It is hard, about 5x that of my diesel Jeep, and is basically like an on / off switch. However, 50 meters and I got used to it. Its pretty driveable in traffic...light steering and slick gearshift helping. Cross 3,000 rpms and you know this is a special car. She pulls strong and clean, until 5,000 when all hell breaks loose. Literally. Few cars spin their wheels in 2nd / 3rd / (possibly) 4th gear at 5,000 rpms but this beast is one of them. I could see fellow BHPians R.P.M. & Rehaan shut their mouths and hang on for dear life. The thrust you get is forceful, aggressive, and one is literally shoved back into their seat. We were overtaking a VW Passat, and its driver thought someone is braking (hence the tyre noise). Hell, he was shocked to see tyres spinning, but the car accelerating in 3rd gear! Short-lived joy though, as we didn't have a chance to go all the way up to 9,500 (though I am so looking forward to it)!

One thing : This car is safe only in the hands of an ace; Jitu was super calm when working her through the revv range. He's obviously learnt how to tame the beast. Butttttttttttttttt in the wrong hands, this car is a widow-maker. Drive safe, Jitu. Congratulations. The mega-achievement was written all over your face.
Small detail I missed out in my driving post. When Jitu handed over the keys, I asked him if there were any special instructions. Pat came the reply "Keep her straight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
PS - I remember my teacher telling me - "Behram, the best cars are those which have a smooth - silent - surge of power". How true he was. That's what I strive to achieve on cars where I work.
*cough cough* On Mahindras? Silent?
Old 18th February 2009, 20:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

I've had a brief taste of this mad machine myself, and I'm hungry for more. Pulls like nobody's business.
Old 18th February 2009, 21:24   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Buddy of mine who drag races says anything above 250 whp on a civic hatch, you're looking at 245 or larger street rubber for even halfway decent traction. And that's on a hatch which has a more favorable weight distribution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Yes I understand the boost control can be controlled by gear. But you wont reach 17 psi in second or first anyway because there is lower load on the engine.

The point is, this is what you need obviously. a discreet set of fender flares:
Fitting even 225's is a problem Ananth, and the OHC already has slightly flared fenders as a design feature! But, I was talking to him & after he gets his suspension, we'll try & fit 225's or more based on what we can get away with.

Another factor we'll need to figure out is it get some negative offset wheels or use spacers to put the wheels clear of the inner arch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Not that I am technically very knowledgeable, but flared arches will certainly help accomodate wider tyres, but possibly one would need a negative offset rim, right ?
Correctomundo senor!
Old 18th February 2009, 23:52   #125
Senior - BHPian

So won't it hit the fender flares from the outside then?
Old 19th February 2009, 00:58   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Hi Jitu,

First and foremost, congratulations on the first major milestone of the epic build. Was following it through various stages via various sources over the past years. Doing something of this magnitude in India isn't a joke, given the fact that it is a complete DIY project.
Thank you D.D.

That apart, I would like to know a few harmless details about the setup.

Quote:
1. Are you using any form of auxiliary injection (water/methanol/toluol). Is it via calibrated jetting or is it EMS controlled?
No, pure pump gas, i am doing a slight change in setup & tune now, with this i shall be able to extract more power at same boost at 17psi but with 93 octane fuel. & for Drag race the boost will be upped to 22 psi range on 97 octane fuel once i upgrade the fueling, thats the limit i am reaching for pump gas in forced induction.

Quote:

2. Is it an internal or external wastegate setup?
All this kind of setup run an external wastegate, i am running 44 MM External W.G.

Quote:
3. What cams (brand)? Or have you retained the stock cams since they tend to work well with forced induction (at this level at least). You have mentioned upgraded valvetrain components, what is included in that.
Cams are Honda OEM, Dual Valve springs,Titanium retainers & Forged Int/Exh valves.

Quote:

4. Is the crank COMPLETELY stock or has undergone balancing?
Honda Cranks are very strong, Crank undergone balancing, nitriding after Sizing new bearings for Rod & Mains. Extensive modification to oil journals so that sufficient oil pressure is maintained for Rod bearings in high RPM high Boost application.

Quote:
5. Are the driveshafts stock?
Yes

Quote:

and if possible, what kind of AFRs you are doing at WOT.
Old 19th February 2009, 01:07   #127
Senior - BHPian

What driveshafts are these?
Old 19th February 2009, 01:37   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post

All this kind of setup run an external wastegate, i am running 44 MM External W.G.
Yeah, my bad. External WG is the only way to go in these kinda setups.

You would be using a tubular manifold for the turbo. Is it a custom-sized and fabricated or an off-shelf item since B-series has massive aftermarket support compared to some other engines running on Indian cars.

Quote:

Honda Cranks are very strong, Crank undergone balancing, nitriding after Sizing new bearings for Rod & Mains. Extensive modification to oil journals so that sufficient oil pressure is maintained for Rod bearings in high RPM high Boost application.
Wow, thats a lot of work into the OEM crank. Where was this undertaken since its fairly high-precision stuff. Same question about the Darton sleeves- was the block sleeved here or abroad?

Quote:

Thats quite conservative, but bang on for a daily drive pump gas setup IMO. No wonder fine tuning can yield substantial gains. What kinda numbers are you shooting for in your drag tune with 97-oct??

You had mentioned that you're running the injectors at 100% duty cycle. Do you plan to retain the same injectors past the 400whp mark. Will merely hiking fuel pressure help at that point?

One last thing (for now), , has the head/valves been worked on in any way even though these B-series heads flow pretty well from the factory. Also, is the block posted or a block brace used?

Edit-

@v1p3r- Jitu has mentioned in the previous post that the driveshafts are stock items.

Last edited by doomsday : 19th February 2009 at 01:46.
Old 19th February 2009, 01:47   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
v1p3r- Jitu has mentioned in the previous post that the driveshafts are stock.
I noticed. Stock Civic driveshafts or stock OHC driveshafts?
Old 19th February 2009, 02:10   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I noticed. Stock Civic driveshafts or stock OHC driveshafts?
No chance of OHC driveshafts making it here dude.

Reason- the tranny is completely different, S21 box I think. Its hydraulically actuated, needs half shafts and AFAIK b-series driveshafts are equal length as opposed to d-series ones. Also, this particular tranny on Jitu's car has a factory LSD so any hope of d-series shafts being used is thrown out of the window.

The question is why? When d-series guys have found ways of swapping in the more robust, hydro b-series trannies with more gear options why would someone do the exact opposite and try using d-series shafts?
Old 19th February 2009, 02:27   #131
Senior - BHPian

You're missing my point.

Jesus, those driveshafts must be pretty strong if they're holding over twice the whp they were designed to.
Old 19th February 2009, 02:33   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
You're missing my point.

Jesus, those driveshafts must be pretty strong if they're holding over twice the whp they were designed to.
Pray, enlighten us mere mortals about that point.

Seriously, somehow Honda OEM driveshafts can hold crazy power levels. The mid-13s nitrous OHC from Bangalore is also running bone-stock driveshafts with close to 100 shot fired upon launch in first gear itself. Crazy!!! Gross over-engineering I guess...

Last edited by doomsday : 19th February 2009 at 02:34.
Old 19th February 2009, 03:08   #133
Senior - BHPian

Its not gross over-engineering. Driveshafts in japanese cars have been known to hold over 3 or 4 times the torque that the stock engine puts out, PROVIDED street tires are used. DSMs and Evos running 1100 whp use the stock shafts, but a few drag launches on slicks will naturally break them. So I say its all dependent on the tires being used.
Old 19th February 2009, 04:06   #134
BHPian

Quote:
You would be using a tubular manifold for the turbo. Is it a custom-sized and fabricated or an off-shelf item since B-series has massive aftermarket support compared to some other engines running on Indian cars.
I was using Log type manifold which i bought off shelf.but now planning for something different.

Quote:
Wow, thats a lot of work into the OEM crank. Where was this undertaken since its fairly high-precision stuff. Same question about the Darton sleeves- was the block sleeved here or abroad?
The entire job was done here locally including Sleeving, i have some pics of install of entire process as i was involved with them during each & every step of process.

Quote:
Thats quite conservative, but bang on for a daily drive pump gas setup IMO. No wonder fine tuning can yield substantial gains. What kinda numbers are you shooting for in your drag tune with 97-oct??
At 22 psi on 97 Octane Tune i wont be surprised if i come close to 430-450WHP.

Quote:
You had mentioned that you're running the injectors at 100% duty cycle. Do you plan to retain the same injectors past the 400whp mark. Will merely hiking fuel pressure help at that point?
I wont be going above 17psi on current setup, once i upgrade the fueling that includes 1000CC injectors,fuel rail,etc etc which comes in next month, i am not keen to run higher fuel pressure & strain everything.

Quote:
One last thing (for now), , has the head/valves been worked on in any way even though these B-series heads flow pretty well from the factory.
Exclusive Head Job with Radius Valve Job

Quote:
Also, is the block posted or a block brace used?
You dont need all that once block is sleeved.

Quote:
@v1p3r- Jitu has mentioned in the previous post that the drive shafts are stock items.
Drive shafts are JDM with JDM S21 Tranny with OEM LSD which you will find in cars in Japan's Integra type R. that's one good thing i got.
Old 19th February 2009, 10:21   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Fitting even 225's is a problem Ananth, and the OHC already has slightly flared fenders as a design feature! But, I was talking to him & after he gets his suspension, we'll try & fit 225's or more based on what we can get away with.

Another factor we'll need to figure out is it get some negative offset wheels or use spacers to put the wheels clear of the inner arch.

Correctomundo senor!

I would go for negative offset rims as against spacers. At the kind of power levels the car is putting out, spacers MAY not work well, just my opinion.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks