Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 20:02   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
There is no Speed 93 available any where in India, according to a BPCL source of mine. How did you get it? I am looking for it and can't seem to find it anywhere in Bangalore.
In mumbai from Bharat petroluem you get 3 types fuel
1) Regular
2) Speed
3) Speed97

though very limited number of pumps have speed97 fuel, i was given to understand by one of those pump owner who supply all this three type of fuel that actually "Speed" fuel is "93 octane".
I always fill "Speed" only from good reputed pump & the test carried out was using that fuel. So even if "speed" fuel is "91 octane" as per your source then its even more encouraging.
17 Psi on 91 octane... The plugs look good after that test test run & no signs of detonation, only slight change in fueling was altered from last dyno run with no change in ignition, but with better exhaust manifold. i am sure i must have picked up another 20-30 whp gains with those changes.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:29   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Thanks, but..
Who is Jamie???? i don't know anybody by that name. BTW Fabrication i am getting done here locally.
Jamie Drummond, owner of Drummond Motor Sport -- DMS.
Old 31st March 2009, 01:31   #183
BHPian

Making it Stick Part1

The work on my custom Top section of DMS coilover has just begun, since i had bought this stuff used, it didn't came with top section & bearings, hence i thought it would be best to customize the setup with adjustable Camber plates on top. To begin with 1st i took out used top section of OHC Suspension, disassembled it completely,
it looked something like this.
As you can see from the pic the bearing sits between the plate which mounts on to chasis & top section of spring assembly holder of strut
1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05477p.jpg

Since the custom fabrication is on billet material, i thought it would be better to make some prototype which i can show as sample, so the turner gets an idea of what actually i want, hence the sample was made out of cardboard with cuts approximately done, the measurements aren't accurate but this was just to give an idea to the turner that how it has to be made.

The sample
1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05479p.jpg
The top & bottom section with Adjustable camber plate, since this Coilover didnt came with any bearings, i decided to stick with OEM bearings which is present in all OHC's suspension setup but mate to my custom assembly.

The Coilover
1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05478p.jpg

The custom bottom end will sit on spring
1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05481p.jpg

and then goes the bearings
1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05482p.jpg

and then the top section, with this arrangement the top & bottom section are separated & only supported by bearings, exactly as in an OEM Honda shocks.

1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05483p.jpg

and then finally the camber plates above it, The four circles are threads & there will be 4 heavy duty bolts which will lock the camber plate with bottom assembly. Also there will be marking depicting the degrees of camber adjustment.
1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05486p.jpg

when complete it should look something like this

1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05484p.jpg

The Raw Material
1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05488p.jpg
1st ever Dyno Graph of my Turbocharged Hybrid OHC (320+ WHP!)-dsc05492p.jpg

The Machine work will be a time consuming job, since all the angles & cutting require very precise measurement, will update as things progress.

P.S: any suggestion/recommendation most welcome.
Old 31st March 2009, 01:38   #184
Senior - BHPian

Love the cardboard cut outs Jitu! Good luck!!
Old 31st March 2009, 01:41   #185
Senior - BHPian

Be careful with the angle of the slit for the camber plates if not precise you might face varied toe settings. Am also assuming that you plan to use 4 allen bolts 10 mm.. hope the grade of aluminum is good enough to handle the shearing force of a launch.
Old 31st March 2009, 07:49   #186
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommend using Aluminium for these parts. It will not take the load and as Psycho has mentioned will shear in sometime. Even if it does not shear the camber plate will start to warp in due course of time. I recommend you use SS for these parts.
Old 31st March 2009, 08:02   #187
Senior - BHPian

How will you access the bump and rebound settings if you put in the bottom assembly?
Old 31st March 2009, 09:06   #188
BHPian

Good work, but again making custom camber plates are a worry. To get the angle correct and ensure both camber plates are exactly the same is painstaking work. If its high grade billet aluminium it should hold. Hoping that things work alright. Are not camber plates available for the honda?

One more thing, do these shocks come with adjustable spring perches?
Old 31st March 2009, 09:34   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Be careful with the angle of the slit for the camber plates if not precise you might face varied toe settings.
Yes sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Am also assuming that you plan to use 4 allen bolts 10 mm.. hope the grade of aluminum is good enough to handle the shearing force of a launch.
That goes without saying
Old 31st March 2009, 11:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

Good effort, but wouldn't it be easier and more reliable to use a ready made aftermerket suspension?

Especially considering that your engine produces close to 4 times the bhp of a stock Indian VTEC.

Shan2nu
Old 31st March 2009, 23:07   #191
Senior - BHPian

The camber plates will work if you make them at least 3/8" thick and out of a grade no lower than 6061-T6. Anything lower than that, and I'd be concerned about fatigue. If you cant get this grade then mild steel is much more forgiving in terms of both machinability and design mistakes.

Make sure the allen-head screws are Grade 12.9 or higher also.

A competent machinist should be able to do a good job without CNC.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 31st March 2009 at 23:09.
Old 31st March 2009, 23:28   #192
Senior - BHPian

6061-T6 is an aerospace grade aluminium. Will be a little difficult to source and will be expensive also. But that is the only grade that will work as mentioned by Ananth.

My personal recommendation is still SS 304.
Old 31st March 2009, 23:40   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Good effort, but wouldn't it be easier and more reliable to use a ready made aftermerket suspension?
Nothing's really available.
Old 1st April 2009, 00:02   #194
BHPian

Instead of so much expenditure,you can simply get VOLVO S80 350hp,400Nm torque..But making such extreme engine mods out of a stock one surely makes us feel good & that Adrenaline boost,just like in Need for Speed Most Wanted when I upgrade performance in Lamborghini I feel thats purely my kinda ride.Awesome work i appreciate it.
Old 1st April 2009, 00:05   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
6061-T6 is an aerospace grade aluminium. Will be a little difficult to source ....
Really?

I'm no expert about this stuff, but i've used 6061 the most (7075 for one other project that needed something a little better) and i was under the impression that it was quite a commonly available alloy and therefore should definitely be sourcable here.
I wouldn't be suprised if Jitus stock (in the pics) is indeed 6061-T6.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st April 2009 at 00:12.

Most Viewed