Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 02:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Head Light Beam Focussing Machine

I just happened to go to Swadi Automobiles at Nana Chowk last month and I noticed that there is a special headlamp beam focussing machine. They have a skilled technician, and apparently they use the machine in a dark room to focus the beams of your car headlights.
Anyone ever seen or got this done???
Asking because I might just get it done tomorrow. I don't know the cost, but might update you'll tomorrow. I'm doing it because the beams in my esteem are absolutely wayward and driving becomes unsafe at night.
Another problem is that the car got a new set of Lumax Original Head lights last week, but these are the version that have the provision for the motored head light focussing device that became mandatory on all cars, after i bought mine.
My car does not have it, hence manual focussing is a big issue.
Any advice??? Any experiences?
Old 19th February 2009, 02:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
....got a new set of Lumax Original Head lights last week, but these are the version that have the provision for the motored head light focussing device that became mandatory on all cars, after i bought mine.
My car does not have it, hence manual focussing is a big issue.
That is not a focussing device - its simply a leveling device.

If you take 3 heavy people and luggage in the back of your car, the rear sags, and the lights point skywards. Even your low-beams will then go into the eyes of oncomming traffic. Turning the leveler dial uses vaccum or motors to adjust the beam height (tilts the headlight up or down).

This has nothing to do with focus, since the entire headlamp assembly moves.

Since you cant use the levelers, big deal - just set your car up for EuroII standards (ie pretend its a fixed level headlight - which it is)

Most people dont use the levelers properly anyway, and dont use them when they are supposed to be used.

cya
R
Old 19th February 2009, 02:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

You didn't get it:-) i mean my beams aren't focussed correctly. The right beam is too close and the left beam looks like its tryin to get into the right beam's way. I don't need the levelling. And the machine at Swadi is the focussing machine. Thats what i need:-)

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2009 at 01:55. Reason: wat = what.
Old 19th February 2009, 10:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

I just called that workshop and they said its 400 rupees for levelling the beam. Its machine assisted and sets it according to the original company settings. Each car is pre fed in to the computer and the machine levels it according to the specs mentioned by Maruti. Is it worth it? I have tried focussing the beams on my own, and have also been to many electricians. Their crude method of standing with their legs on the beam makes me cringe. Very bad method that is
Old 19th February 2009, 17:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I just called that workshop and they said its 400 rupees for levelling the beam. Is it worth it?
400 ?!? That's like 8 liters of fuel ! All that you actually require is a Phillips screwdriver, & possibly a can of WD40.

I'm intrigued by the machine though, does it align the headlights automatically, i.e. without any manual intervention ? Or does it just shoot a laser or something at a wall at a defined height & somebody goes in & actually adjusts the alignment screws ?
Old 19th February 2009, 18:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

All the machine has are markings showing where the light should fall. If aligned according to what is shown in the machine lens, you have near perfect focus.

There is nothing "automatic" in the machine, one still needs to adjust the HL assembly manually. The markers inside the machine are a guide.

Rs. 400/- for the job is daylight robbery.

Cheers
Old 19th February 2009, 20:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

i was supposed to go today, but decided to wait it out. i refrain from getting any work done on the car now without suggestions from fellow bhpians :-)
Old 20th February 2009, 02:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You didn't get it:-) i mean my beams aren't focussed correctly. The right beam is too close and the left beam looks like its tryin to get into the right beam's way. I don't need the levelling. And the machine at Swadi is the focussing machine. Thats what i need:-)
Okay, but i was commenting on the leveling motors - see the specific part of your post that i had originally quoted. (Hopefully we are talking about the same thing here?)

As for doing the alignment / focussing yourself, check out this thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ght-beams.html

You say you have got a new set of headlamps (the entire unit, not just a bulb) -- are they a direct fit with no modifications? This is essential, since otherwise the range of adjustment provided on your headlamps may not be enough to compensate.

Also, make sure your bulbs are seated in the holders properly, as this can also cause havoc. (See the link above for more details).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2009 at 02:02.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Frank, any further updates on this device/service?

I tried manually adjusting the beam and focus. I could do it for the upper levelling screw but the lower one is deep down inside and was having trouble doing it.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

no man. both my cars are 'cockeyed' since no one actually used this service, and 400 rupees for it is DAYLIGHT gharmeinghusichori!
Old 20th July 2009, 18:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

That machine costs a bit and not many of them pay for accurate headlamp focussing.
Thats why it costs 400 bucks.

I use a long screwdriver for vertical adjustment and a spanner for the horizontal.
Old 20th July 2009, 18:55   #12
BHPian

i just saw last evening. the lancer has kind of bevel gears for both L-R and UP-DOWN adjustment . we need a long gear screwdriver thingy to adjust it. i tried with my hand but it was not possibble.

luckily for me the beams are accurately aligned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks