Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 14:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mods on FIAT UNO

I have a 2000 model FIAT UNO 1.2 ELX SPFI done about 1.05L and off late has been turning into a lemon. In its present condition it is no more reliable in its for long cross -country tours and hence I'm getting a replacement. I'm not selling the car as it would fetch peanuts in the used car market and want to use the car for mod jobs.

I'm only looking doing mods on the driveline and would like to keep everything else stock ( wolf in sheep's clothing ). Things that I have thought of are
  1. Increase power output and smoothen out power delivery.
  2. Racing cams, Polished and larger intake and outlet valves.
  3. Better spark plugs.
  4. TCIC (May be as it interferes with the reliability of the engine).
I would be to know from people whether all is this is possible or not on the UNO over here. Internationally turbos have been dumped on UNO to make them a real pocket rocket and the chasis has the flexibility to take much extra power.

Look forward to suggestions
Old 19th February 2009, 16:03   #2
BHPian

I recently had spoken to somendar singh from mysore who does grooving on the cylinder heads. this increases the torque output and helps in complete combustion of the fuel.

i wanted him to do the same on my Uno, he mentioned that spares are hard to find for this car and he has stopped doing grooving for carbueretted engines.

now i am considering gettin myself a set of cofap nitrogen filled shocks to made the ride more firm and comfortable. i havent seen any unos with modified cylinder heads or racing cams. the racing or high lift cams are surely an option, i suggest you look to fiatforum.com to get some info on this. there are quite a few mad men out there who have really made great pocket rockets out of these machines.
Old 20th February 2009, 11:18   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a 2000 model FIAT UNO 1.2 ELX SPFI done about 1.05L and off late has been turning into a lemon.
Remember that after-market modifications, in many cases, compromise reliability. I wouldn't recommend modifying a car that already has its share of trouble.

Simple advice : Avoid mods & save your $$$.
Old 20th February 2009, 11:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Milecruncher,

Speak to Hillram and Suren about doing this in Hyd.

Cheers,
Old 20th February 2009, 11:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember that after-market modifications, in many cases, compromise reliability. I wouldn't recommend modifying a car that already has its share of trouble.

Simple advice : Avoid mods & save your $$$.
Well when I say lemon, I meant that I had to have replace almost every thing except the engine and the transmission. I'm plagued more by the absence of spares more than anything else. The car is still very good in terms of running and does 150kmph easy. I don't want to sell the car even though I'm getting another car coz its my first love.

Reliability is not too much of an issue for me as I'll not be taking it for cross country runs anymore as my other car will do that. I want to start out small by first doing head polishing/grooving, inlet/exhaust port modifications, better spark plugs (I already run twin elctrode NGKs) and then moving on doing racing cams, turbo et al. To start out I have a modest budget and the feel the entire project would be about a year long.

I want to know if anybody here on the forum/India has done any mods on the UNO and would like to get some advice to plan the project.

Cheers
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:15   #6
BHPian

Hey MileCruncher!

Stumbled upon this thread when searching for porting and polishing of Uno engines. I plane to get some porting and polisihing done @ mysore. The garage I go to has undertaken this on a few Unos and Palios and spares are available with him.

As Sharan has pointed out, I have also contacted Mr.Singh and am getting my engine grroved.

Will post my changes and experience soon.
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Hey MileCruncher!

Stumbled upon this thread when searching for porting and polishing of Uno engines. I plane to get some porting and polisihing done @ mysore. The garage I go to has undertaken this on a few Unos and Palios and spares are available with him.

As Sharan has pointed out, I have also contacted Mr.Singh and am getting my engine grroved.

Will post my changes and experience soon.
Thanks for sharing the info.

What of power and torque improvement are we talking here. I would also like to know what kind of expense would one be looking at for doing the Stage -I on the Uno.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks