Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2005, 12:14   #1
Team-BHP Support

Stickers on your car: What do you do?

This is a 2 part question.

1. If you have to put stickers on your car (taking part in an event), what is the best way to do it? i.e. is there some kind of coating you can put on before sticking the cheap, crappy stickers?

Abroad they sell a clear plastic protective sheet which protects the car body from stone chips and bugs. This would be ideal, but is it possible to get in Mumbai? If not, any solution similar to this?

2. If I can find no solution to Q.1, what is the best way to remove stubborn stickers? Some of them are cheap paper stickers that refuse to peel off cleanly and leave a sticky, hard to remove residue along with bits of paper still stuck. What do I do to get rid of this without damaging the paint or glass?
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2005, 12:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

whoa.!!! THanx Rtech. Now this is question is from RTech and me too!
Old 2nd May 2005, 13:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stickers on your car: What do you do?
Looks like Rtech has been participating in the Airtel Rally eh? Pal, i happened to see a White Octy with the stickers on NDTV yesterday and a distinct numberplate. Hazarding a guess it was yours.

Revv
Old 2nd May 2005, 13:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Soap and water should do the trick and use some koroscene if its really hard. Actually the best guys to remove stickers are the guys who fit the tinted glasses they have this plastic scraper thing that removes every possible sticker from the glass and leaves no scratches on the cars body too. I get rid of all the possible showroom stickers etc when my car comes new ...take it straight to fit the film and get all that stuff off.
Old 2nd May 2005, 13:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

On a serious note:

If the stickers are vinyl, use a hair dryer to heat the section around the sticker. Make sure you don't overheat it or your paint will fade/crack.

Then apply some alcohol and water (in equal parts). Spray it around the sticker edges for better results.

Let is soak for a few minutes. Then rub the sticker off with your fingers. Once removed, clean the area with mild soap and then wax it to smoothen the area.

Its a tried and tested self-generated formula.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2005, 15:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Cool. Tnx for the tips guys. How about an answer to Question 1 now?

And Revv, that may have been my car as we were No.2 in the starting order. And yea, we had the only white Octi there.
Old 2nd May 2005, 18:12   #7
BHPian

for sticky residue on glass without film, borrow some nail polish remover from your sis/wife/gf and use with a cloth to remove.. be careful NOT to touch fabric/rubber/plastic/paint parts with the acetone.. U can also use paint thinner on glass.
Old 2nd May 2005, 18:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

never stick it to paint, glass is safest bet and if u are careful with a TOPAZ blade u can remove without any damage and some diesel always works for removing the gum residue if any..

diesel freak
Jaggu
Old 2nd May 2005, 18:30   #9
BHPian

the best bet is never to keep stickers more than a year or so. never stick any sticker on the paint as it will tend to spoil it.

my experience - i had parked my 800 three years back some where in goregaon and some glass fellow put his sticker. i noticed it after somedays and and when i tried to remove it it wasnt coming our easily. for three years it was on the left side of my rear glass. while installing new films the fellow removed it somehow but there is a shadow of the same on the glass if seen from near.

i have learnt that no more stickers on the my car. if any body does it then he will get a spanking from me for sure.

Shubbhi
Old 29th September 2006, 18:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

Could someone help me with removing Autographix stickers? There's one on the hood, one on the trunk lid and one on the rear bumper.

I heard from someone that these stickers come with a good quality of adhesive and its hard to get rid of them.
Old 30th September 2006, 19:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

DIESEL is the answer to all your queries.. before removing the stickers take a cloth dip it in diesel and rub it over and around the stickers,
after around 2 minutes peel off the sticker constantly applying diesel to the freshly removed sticker part...
Once the sticker is removed IF there is some gum left over apply diesel again and rub it off.... Simple na.

PS PETROL also works.. but its expensive so Diesel is the better cheaper alternative.

DONT USE KEROSENE... as it leaves a mark on the body and is seen especially if the colour is metallic.

Godfather
Godfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2006, 19:32   #12
BANNED

Guys, If you putting stickers on your car for small events like a TSD Rally or a autocross event one can instead of sticking them on with the gum at the back of the stickers , you shud just take a gud tape and use that on all 4 sides of the sticker !!

Its easy to take of and doesnt stand a chance of getting stuck to the car for gud ....

Cheers
Old 30th September 2006, 19:47   #13
BHPian

Hey Rtech!!
i totally agree with Godfather. diesel is the way to go!! i get my vehicle wiped by it every other week and all stickers (even the reflective tapes i put), tar, etc all come off in no time with a pressure wash!! i have also managed to get one of these modding fellows to give me a plastic scraper...but have not had the courage to use it on my own!!
Old 12th May 2012, 14:15   #14
BHPian

Removing decals?

Reviving this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
DIESEL is the answer to all your queries.. before removing the stickers take a cloth dip it in diesel and rub it over and around the stickers,
after around 2 minutes peel off the sticker constantly applying diesel to the freshly removed sticker part...
Once the sticker is removed IF there is some gum left over apply diesel again and rub it off.... Simple na.

PS PETROL also works.. but its expensive so Diesel is the better cheaper alternative.

DONT USE KEROSENE... as it leaves a mark on the body and is seen especially if the colour is metallic.

Godfather

Has anyone tried this and what are the results?

If I want to remove the factory fitted decals on my Endy (the "5-speed automatic" and the "Hurricane"), how do I go about it without impact to the paint? Is it really DIY? Or is it best left to professionals (e.g., Car Spas)? The ASSC said they can do it but they also said they need to check with body shop; don't know why.

PS: the decals are actually great. They do a very good job of protecting the paint. And I love the factory finished paint. But I wanted to give my ride a new avatar on the birth anniversary.

Last edited by ssh1979 : 12th May 2012 at 14:16.
Old 17th May 2015, 20:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Stickers on your car: What do you do?

Sighted this one in Shillong, Meghalaya,on 14 may 2015, with a temporary "sticker" solution to the perhaps broken rear windscreen.

Stickers on your car: What do you do?-may2015mithubdayshllongkolguwa-229.jpg

Stickers on your car: What do you do?-may2015mithubdayshllongkolguwa-230.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks