Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 17:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How do you remove stickers from the windshield?

Try this :
Spray Colin
let it soak
Spray till it is saoked very well
then rub gently with finger

Be careful to not use even your nails
Old 8th July 2011, 17:22   #17
BHPian

WD 40 is pretty effective in removing stickers.
But the bummer in your case is the solar film.
If you HAVE to remove it,do a test on a separate piece of film first( your film walla can give you a scrap piece) & experiment on it before you attempt it on your car.
Good luck.
Old 19th July 2011, 22:43   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi travelwriter,

Q: Is it a plastic/vinyl sticker, or a paper based sticker?

If its paper:
- It might not peel off as smoothly (might tear and leave parts behind)
- You can use water/warm water to free it
I have a paper based sticker on the rear wind screen. I could try soaking it with warm water but am worried if I damage the copper wire print (defogger) during the process of soak and peel. Please share if anyone has a similar experience.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 21st July 2011 at 15:06. Reason: Removed long post quote for benefit of mobile users.
Old 21st July 2011, 00:29   #19
BHPian

For removing stickers try using some rubbing alcohol. It should dissolve the glue and the sticker should come off easily. The film won't be destroyed and the alcohol will simply evaporate.
Old 21st July 2011, 00:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvirf View Post
I have a paper based sticker on the rear wind screen. I could try soaking it with warm water but am worried if I damage the copper wire print (defogger) during the process of soak and peel. Please share if anyone has a similar experience.
Nail polish remover or baby oil works well to remove old and unwanted stickers from your windshield.
Old 21st July 2011, 15:10   #21
BHPian

I recently got the sunfilm removed from the rear glass because of the air bubbles and portions of the film started to give away. I was apprehensive to get this done initially because of the defogger, but couple of lines in my defogger stopped working and had to get it checked within my 1 year free warranty.

The film came out pretty easily but there was lot of glue that stuck on to the glass. The fellows at the car dealership used the soapy solution and blades to remove the glue. The fellows did it very slowly and I was overseeing their work all the time and cautioned not to be in a hurry.

I now fear I would lost some amount of copper and not sure of other after effects. However on preliminary tests, the defogger still works with the exception of the couple of lines that never worked before.

May be offtopic, but does anyone know how the defoggers are etched on to the glass. Is any coating provided from the inside once the defoggers are etched?

Wish I had seen this thread before and tried out the suggestions
Old 21st July 2011, 22:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Nail polish remover or baby oil works well to remove old and unwanted stickers from your windshield.
I finally used a soapy glass cleaner (Colin), sprayed on a piece of cloth, gently held it on the sticker for 3 minutes and rubbed it clean. I did not notice any damage on the copper wire print.
Old 15th November 2013, 15:12   #23
BHPian

Read up this thread yesterday and went to clean my car armed with a Colin, a flat blade . It took me a little over twenty minutes to remove all the three stickers (Service reminder,alignment reminder and "Wear seat belts,enjoy nature") from the front windshield.
Soaked up the sticker with Colin and with the blunt edge of the blade peeled off the stickers, the paper base started smudging but a bit more spray and rubbing from the cloth helped and everything was clean without any residue.
Very happy. Thank you guys
Old 16th November 2013, 00:42   #24
BHPian

Is there a way to remove stickers without damaging them ( the stickers). For example i'd like to transfer my parking stickers to a new car.
Old 16th November 2013, 00:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Use a hair dryer to heat up the sticker and then peel it off if its vinyl based.
Old 16th November 2013, 01:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
Is there a way to remove stickers without damaging them ( the stickers). For example i'd like to transfer my parking stickers to a new car.
I got my bar association sticker laminated before putting it up on the windscreen.
This way you can put it up with a simple tape running over the boundaries of the sticker & remove it whenever you want to.

(Attached pictures for reference)
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remove stickers from the windshield?-image2018051207.jpg  

How do you remove stickers from the windshield?-image3826764761.jpg  

satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 18:58   #27
BHPian

Hello there!
Yesterday, a moron biker hit my car at the back, resulting in minor dents and some hard scratches. Unfortunately, one of those scratches went off tearing my 'Live To Drive' sticker . I have to remove it but simply peeling it off leaves off some residue which not only attracts dirt A LOT, but also feels like some unpleasant texture on the paintwork.
So, needed help on removing the sticker and clearing off the residue without harming the paint job (Its not on the bumper, but on the bootlid).
Please help!
Old 9th January 2015, 19:32   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Hello there!
Yesterday, a moron biker hit my car at the back, resulting in minor dents and some hard scratches. Unfortunately, one of those scratches went off tearing my 'Live To Drive' sticker . I have to remove it but simply peeling it off leaves off some residue which not only attracts dirt A LOT, but also feels like some unpleasant texture on the paintwork.
So, needed help on removing the sticker and clearing off the residue without harming the paint job (Its not on the bumper, but on the bootlid).
Please help!
Peel the sticker off, then use cotton dabbed with nail-polish remover (works like a charm in removing sticker residue). I recently removed a sticker off the boot-lid too. Ensure not to rub too vigorously, and clean up generously with water afterwards. Buff/polish the spot later if required.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th January 2015 at 19:35.
Old 10th January 2015, 00:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Peel the sticker off, then use cotton dabbed with nail-polish remover (works like a charm in removing sticker residue). I recently removed a sticker off the boot-lid too. Ensure not to rub too vigorously, and clean up generously with water afterwards. Buff/polish the spot later if required.
Isn't acetone (nail-polish remover) known to destroy the paint?
Thanks!
Old 10th January 2015, 01:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
needed help on removing the sticker and clearing off the residue without harming the paint job (Its not on the bumper, but on the bootlid).
Use a hair dryer to heat the sticker and then pull it off. All the glue should remain on the sticker.

If any sticker residue remains, use WD40 and a clean cotton waste ball and wipe it off gently.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks