Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 13:10   #1
BHPian

How do you remove stickers from the windshield?

Please help me here. I want to remove a sticker that stuck really hard to the windshield from the inside. Our apartments mandates that stickers be out on windshield to identify cars and allow them inside. Unfortunately, the sticker fell into wrong hands and it was stuck bang in the middle of the windshield. I am unable to peel it off. What do I do?

Weird problem, yes, but serious neverthelss.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi travelwriter,

Q: Is it a plastic/vinyl sticker, or a paper based sticker?

If its paper:
- It might not peel off as smoothly (might tear and leave parts behind)
- You can use water/warm water to free it

If its plastic/vinyl:
- try using a blade to lift one corner clean off the glass, and then slowly peel it off. (make sure the corner you pull is totally off the glass, not half still stuck - ie sticker split thickness-wise, otherwise it will peel badly or tear)

Use water/soap/acetone (depending on seriousness) to remove the remains of the sticker or the stickyness.

I hope your car does not have tinted film on the glass that this sticker has been stuck! That could be a major problem.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2009 at 13:37.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2009, 13:43   #3
BHPian

Thanks, Rehaan.

The sticker is a paper based one. I tried peeling it off and it has left some paper behind. I will use methods you have suggested.

Thankfully, no sun film or tinted film. I will ask the service centre guy to help me since I am going there anyway for my regular servicing.

Will keep you posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi travelwriter,

Q: Is it a plastic/vinyl sticker, or a paper based sticker?

I hope your car does not have tinted film on the glass that this sticker has been stuck! That could be a major problem.

cya
R
Old 6th March 2009, 13:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Warm water can help. Perhaps thinner too, as I can vouch.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
What should one do if it is stuck on a tinted surface?

And how do you apply a new sticker on a tinted surface, so that you don't face the problem later? I read somewhere else in TBHP 'clingwrap' can do the job.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
This is the main reason I don't have any sticker on my car. I have sun film on all windows and don't want to stick up the sticker anywhere. Dumb person at the service station once stuck a emergency sticker on the lower end of the front windscreen . Had to leave it like that.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

I believe there are sticker remover sprays available
Old 6th March 2009, 13:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rehaan i did not get you, can you explain.

I will agree if the stickers are pasted on the same side where the film would be stuck, as far as my cars are concerned the film was stuck from inside and if we stick the sticker from outside their would not be any problem in removing the sticker in future.

PS - Correct if i am wrong
Old 6th March 2009, 14:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
...I will ask the service centre guy to help me since I am going there anyway for my regular servicing....
Sounds good, though im sure you could get it off easily yourself with a little elbow grease. Soaking it with warm/hot (but not boiling) water will help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
What should one do if it is stuck on a tinted surface?

And how do you apply a new sticker on a tinted surface, so that you don't face the problem later? I read somewhere else in TBHP 'clingwrap' can do the job.
Interesting thought! I think maybe ajmat had mentioned that trick somewhere?
I cant really think of anything else other than using clingwrap/clear film and then a less serious adhesive to stick it to the glass with the tinted film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
...I have sun film on all windows and don't want to stick up the sticker anywhere....
Well if you stick your stickers on the outside of the glass it should be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Rehaan i did not get you, can you explain....
Yup, you understood me correct.
Aftermarket tinted film is always stuck on the inside of the car's glass - for durability reasons (it doesnt have to go through the daily wash, monsoons etc).
Travelwriter also mentioned that his sticker was stuck on the inside - hence my Q to him about having tinted glass.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2009 at 14:44.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:55   #10
BHPian

I spent some good time removing all stickers from the inside of the windshield last weekend - all sorts including car accessories walah's, original maruti ones and appartment, office related,paper, vinyl etc .
You can probably try what I did. I had bought a metal scraper from a hardware shop - these are usually used for cleaning glasses . Some people might call me crazy fearing scratches and damage, but believe you me you can use this with a very little caution. Use some warm water / soap from sparayer, let the sticker soak some and scrpae it gently with the scraper. I am sure you can get rid of the sticker in 5 minutes.

One point of caution is be careful when using water spray as many people have reported water seeping into theECU unit - specifically if you have a Swift.

Hope this helps.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
I spent some good......seeping into theECU unit - specifically if you have a Swift..
Thanks for this. I will try this out. And my car is an Alto. Is the water seepage fear present in this car as well?
Old 6th March 2009, 17:58   #12
BHPian

Even mine is an Alto. I dont know if the issue with water getting into ECU exists in Alto as well or where the ECU sits in alto. But its better safe than sorry, and since its from the same manufacturer I used some cloth pieces to absorb any water dripping towards the dash.

I had come to know of this issue is Swifts only after reading on Team BHP.

Gurus may throw more light if this risk exists in Alto.
Old 8th July 2011, 06:42   #13
BHPian

Re: How do you remove stickers from the windshield?

Opening an old thread. Yesterday I changed the tyres and got alloys for my new Ritz VDI. The damn store put up his sticker on the inside of the windshield.

Now I have Llumar sunfilm. How do I remove the sticker, its the paper based sticker? I think he just put it as I went inside to pay. I dont want to damage the film but at the same time definately want to remove the sticker.

Beats me what the store owner was thinking - Why on earth would someone put a car tyre and alloy store sticker???? Feel like doing this to the shop guy . I just noticed it in the morning, yesterday was in tearing hurry to get to work.
rrahul_2778 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 09:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How do you remove stickers from the windshield?

@Rahul, since you have sun-film, you will need to be careful with this.

The accessories/ interior shops have a good cleaner which can easily take off stickers. You can go back to the place where you got your sun-film, and they should help you with this.

If you want to do it yourself, then slow & steady is the word. Soak it well, and peel gently by rubbing your finger against the sticker. Do not force it. Try Colin or any general purpose cleaner.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 17:02   #15
BHPian

Thanks for your response Condor. I checked the Llumar accessories person who put my film, he said it will spoil the film if we try and there is no way to remove without spoiling the film :(

Am not sure what to do next

Most Viewed