Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2006, 21:18   #61
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
... NOS is relatively a new concept in India, and there are no RTO regulations preventing it's use. The only possible loophole is the classification of NOS as fuel, in which case, it is illegal to run the engine other than that specified by the manufacturer (petrol/diesel)
Thanks, Veyron1, for your detailed & informative post.

However, I have a poser... NOS is not a fuel, it should be termed as a catalyst or additive, in which case it should be legal (for now at least).

Not to disparage you or anything, but are these your interpretations of the existing laws, or did you get this list from somewhere? In which case, source?
Old 1st October 2006, 22:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

@elf: You observed correctly. These are interpretations of the current laws, that you find in the RTO rulebooks. Like I said, all technical aspects are from the RTO's legal point of view. If you look at the RTO regulations, you'll find that the aforesaid mods are in proper order, or, shall we say, loopholes. All pointers have been compiled by me. So no source...

Yes, NOS is not classified as fuel, since it is a form of induction other than that required to function, i.e, petrol/diesel and air.

BUT, my point was that the average Pandu can interpret it as a form of fuel (from the legal point of view) to use it against you. Just like he can use any horn other than O.E that's fitted in your car, to extract a fee. For example, technically, fitment of twin-tone horns are illegal; or rather it's usage is illegal. In the city. But since most pandus cannot fine half of Mumbai's road-going populace, people get away with it..get it?
Old 1st November 2009, 22:00   #63
BHPian

Guys I have an opel astra, and the cops stopped me once at around 2:30 AM when I was returning from my office. The guy just checked the boot, I showed him my company ID card, and he allowed me to go. nothing else.

My car is completely modified. Even my engine is changed, now I have a 2.2 Turbo NL 50 engine, but when I got the car, it was a 1.6 Astra petrol engine.

REMEMBER GUYS !!

THIS IS INDIA

SARE JAHAN SE AACHA, HINDUSTAN HAMARA
Old 2nd November 2009, 08:38   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingHart View Post
Guys I have an opel astra, and the cops stopped me once at around 2:30 AM when I was returning from my office. The guy just checked the boot, I showed him my company ID card, and he allowed me to go. nothing else.

My car is completely modified. Even my engine is changed, now I have a 2.2 Turbo NL 50 engine, but when I got the car, it was a 1.6 Astra petrol engine.

REMEMBER GUYS !!

THIS IS INDIA

SARE JAHAN SE AACHA, HINDUSTAN HAMARA
cops never bother to check your engine.They only look for RC ,PUC and insurance.Very few times they fine you for loud exhausts. I have never heard anybody being fined for an engine transpalnt in Punjab.
Old 2nd November 2009, 09:06   #65
BHPian

almost any deviation from the factory fittings is illegal the list is long and endless. the point is which city you are in sometime back the cops were handing out fines to people listening to music in the car got loy of media coverage was stopped due to protests.
it doesnt matter what your mods are it only matters who you are .the R T O in mumbai is known to fine only those people who can afford the fines whenever the go on their "clean up drives".
the only good part is that they have come down heavily on people who have modded their brains(drunken drivers) and none are pardoned with the customary bribe.
Old 8th November 2012, 19:02   #66
BHPian

Re: is it legal or not.....?? :confused:

Bumping up an old thread.

I recently replaced the stock headlamps of my Pulsar 150 (6 years old, yeah, re-kindled love ) with twin-headlamp setup. Couple of days back I was stopped by the cops saying it is not legal to have twin-headlamps and I'm liable to pay a Rs.300/- fine. However, the cops were decent and they let me go with a warning when I said that I wasn't aware of that. Does anyone know whether it is legal to have twin-headlamps on the bike?
Old 8th November 2012, 19:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post

I recently replaced the stock headlamps of my Pulsar 150 (6 years old, yeah, re-kindled love ) with twin-headlamp setup. Couple of days back I was stopped by the cops saying it is not legal to have twin-headlamps and I'm liable to pay a Rs.300/- fine. However, the cops were decent and they let me go with a warning when I said that I wasn't aware of that. Does anyone know whether it is legal to have twin-headlamps on the bike?
"Twin headlamps on a motorcycle is illegal" sounds like a load of horse manure. "Modification from stock setup is illegal" sounds plausible. Maybe the cop was trying to tell you that the modification is not legal.

Can you post a pic of your bike?
Old 8th November 2012, 19:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post

Twin headlamps on a bike are not illegal. There are bikes that have twin headlamps ex factory. Technically, any changes to a vehicle need to be registered with the RTO, which may exain why the cops were being difficult.
Old 8th November 2012, 20:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Twin headlamps on a bike are not illegal. There are bikes that have twin headlamps ex factory. Technically, any changes to a vehicle need to be registered with the RTO, which may exain why the cops were being difficult.
They showed me a chart which shows the fine that are supposed to pay if violating any of the rules. One of the coloumns said Rs.300/- for alteration without the RTO approval.

Infact, the cops weren't rude, they were very nice and let me go without having to pay the fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

"Twin headlamps on a motorcycle is illegal" sounds like a load of horse manure.

Can you post a pic of your bike?
Sure. I just posted it here

The mechanic who fitted the headlamps on the bike had warned me that it is actually an illegal modification.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 8th November 2012 at 20:20. Reason: Adding the last line.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:42   #70
Senior - BHPian

This issue I more serious than most think. It is not just about getting away with chalaans or evading them but also what if you get into an accident and later on it is found that you have some sort of seemingly insignificant mod that makes your car illegal? Now you might not even be able to claim insurance.. Now that's definitely frightening to me which is why I wanted to pose a question on whether or not I can buy HID's (High Intensity gas-Discharge bulbs) for my Kizashi. Now I understand that this might be illegal (not sure yet I'm sure there is a permissible limit) but my car comes with projectors this in effect makes it less blinding for oncoming traffic right? Will someone please elaborate on the laws concerning headlight upgrades and thus be able to help me decide if I am allowed to get HIDs and if so what is the most powerful ones I can legally install?

Most Viewed