Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2016, 23:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Slip on Seat Covers Vs Factory Fit seat covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
I am planning to get seat covers for my car. Most of the accessories shop show me custom built seat covers which can be put on seats just as like that and tighten with attached string. However, I know for a fact that this type of covers get loose over the period of time and slide off from their original place. So I was looking for covers that can be stapled/stitched onto the seats itself.

On enquiry, the accessory guy informed me that the same seat covers are stitched as well and there is no separate covers for stitching. Is it right?
As a fellow noob who went through this recently, I think your accessory guy is right.

The most common way to install seat covers in India is to stitch them onto the seat and also secure them below the seat using hog rings. Every installer I visited told me that this was how it should be done and was the standard way.
Old 29th June 2016, 17:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
As a fellow noob who went through this recently, I think your accessory guy is right.

The most common way to install seat covers in India is to stitch them onto the seat and also secure them below the seat using hog rings. Every installer I visited told me that this was how it should be done and was the standard way.
So you mean, the slip-on covers are the only one which are also slipped-on and then stitched onto the seats and there is no separate stitch seat cover available.

I always thought that one loses the seat contours on installing the slip-on covers.
Old 29th June 2016, 20:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
So you mean, the slip-on covers are the only one which are also slipped-on and then stitched onto the seats and there is no separate stitch seat cover available.

I always thought that one loses the seat contours on installing the slip-on covers.
The covers are already designed for your specific model. They are then additionally stitched onto the OEM seat to ensure that the fit is perfect. This is the usual way.

There may be generic covers that are also stitched onto the OEM seats but none of the accessory shops I tried had this option so I suspect it is fairly rare.

Simple test: Did the accessory guy ask you what car it was for and thing such as whether your rear seats were split and folding or merely folding etc? If yes, you can be sure that he's talking about covers that are specific to your model and since he says he'll stitch them onto the original seat too, it sounds like you're good to go.
Old 29th June 2016, 22:19   #19
BHPian

OE fit and finish can even be matched by premium brands like Stanley or the not so premium but very popular brand Autofoam (or form ??). This is because, all authorized vendors remove the OE fabric covers and stitch them on to the foam and seat structure directly.

I got my Ecosport's seat covers done this way, however, would like to return to fabric due to sweaty back issue.

Most Viewed