Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2009, 23:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

I agree somewhat with the law about modified vehicles. I mean, we have seen so many odd-balls in the Wierd and Wacky thread, some of which do not deserve to be on the road, not because of the way they look, but because of the way they have been rebuilt.

I do not agree with the part of testing out the GPS. GPS, usually branded, are already tried and tested. They can be attached to any car. GPS is not made in your regular road side garage. Thus, it is safe to have it in your car, if used properly without getting distracted.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Modification Regulations

Hi Everyone!

Just came across the following regulations with regards to vehicles in NSW, Australia.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s/vsi/vsi6.pdf

It mentions if the vehicle power is increased beyond 20%, or fitted with turbo/superchargers, a special permit is required.

Wonder whether we also have such regulations in India.
Old 13th November 2013, 11:29   #33
BHPian

Re: Modification Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Everyone!

Just came across the following regulations with regards to vehicles in NSW, Australia.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s/vsi/vsi6.pdf

It mentions if the vehicle power is increased beyond 20%, or fitted with turbo/superchargers, a special permit is required.

Wonder whether we also have such regulations in India.
I think ANY modification renders your vehicle (2 wheeler/4 wheeler) illegal in India. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 14th November 2013, 12:13   #34
BHPian

Re: Own a modified car in India? Might want to read this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50xj13 View Post
Testing and certification should be a must, not only for the owners safety but also for the people on the road he is travelling on. And i agree that there are many people doing this in India and succesfully too, but having a certification facility offering HASSLEFREE and quick certification/testing will be most welcome. (Me thinks ARAI does offer testing/certification but the waiting period is too long.)

Afterall it is better to spend a small sum for the certification in order to ensure self and others safety, not to mention peace of mind from the traffic police.
Unfortunately, rules and regulations are deciphered differently by each state/department/personnel. ARAI certification is indeed mandatory for a car to be certified road-worthy in India. But I do know of a few cases where the local police/motor vehicles dept have refused to accept this while debating the legality of OE tinted glasses, DRLs and the like.

So you're guess is as good as mine when someone shows a ARAI certificate, one that was paid for by the owner, for a modified car to one of the aforementioned personnel.
Old 16th December 2013, 21:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

RC Book entries, revisions and RTO rules regarding modifying and altering

I see a lot of effort undertaken by many folks in modding and some times completely altering their cars. Some of these efforts are discussed, threads started some even get great reviews and star rating. The idea here is to create awareness as often several RTO norms are being abused and broken, not to mention several folks covertly, overtly, and or ignorantly encouraging and egging others to do the same. I hope this thread becomes a reference point so people know really what they are getting into. I have noticed this phenomenon to be very common in india where people go into it blindly and after a lot of time, effort and money realise they just mostly need to cut their losses. I hope this thread can address the same and hopefully creat a movement to try and address some review of the existing motor vehicle policies.

Last edited by canonball : 16th December 2013 at 21:19.
canonball is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 08:37   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: RC Book entries, revisions and RTO rules regarding modifying and altering

Nice initiative.

First of all we need to know legal position
Second what is explicitly allowed or not allowed
Third how to get the mods endorsed on RC

Like exhaust tuning has to be done withing allowed decibel levels.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 16:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

I think Section 52 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, deals specifically with 'Alteration'. That's what I could make out from the "Information for the guidance of the owner of this vehicle" page in the RC booklet of my motorcycle.
Old 26th July 2015, 09:50   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Nice initiative.

First of all we need to know legal position
Second what is explicitly allowed or not allowed
Third how to get the mods endorsed on RC

Like exhaust tuning has to be done withing allowed decibel levels.
Either you buy a drive-away chassis and then build a body over it. Could be done with the Ambassador and Fiat 1100/Premier at one time. And then get that vehicle registered using a Form 22A process, any bus/truck body builder will point you in the right direction. Is being done even now on 3-wheelers, mini-truck,Bolero or Tempo Traveller type vehicles with ladder chassiss, a friend is doing this in Wazirpur for vehicles used by religious entities, for example. Obviously may not be feasible on monocoque, whether luxury bus or car. This involves a Form 22 from the manufacturer also.

Or you follow the full rebuild procedure with involvement of manufacturer.

Watch this issue and aspect being taken up in some parts of the country where even bull bars and side steps will now soon be removed. Along with extra headlamps.
Old 26th July 2015, 11:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Own a modified car in India? Might want to read this...

I think in all the cases the RTO will not endorse it on the RC book without written approval from the ARAI or similar empowered authority, and this authority will not undertake certification without a written approval from the manufacturer for the changes.

So to fit a free flow exhaust, you will have to write to the manufacturer with detailed specifications of the changes, get their approval, perform the changes, get them reviewed to confirm they are as per the changes, and then approach ARAI for further formalities.

The biggest problem is no manufacturer will approve any changes outside their own specifications.
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:21   #40
BHPian

What are Legally permissible modifications to increase the performance of the car in India.?

The search began for a law governing the type of modifications one can do to his car, which are within the legal constraints of the Indian constitution, after an incident that took place with me in Mumbai.
I own a 2008 Skoda fabia 1.4 PD Tdi Elegance. Being a BHPian, and a car enthusiast, i have done certain modifications to my car. A Cold Air Intake from Cosworth and an exhaust Muffler from DC Sport, trying for some addition to the current BHP.

The Incident

I travel daily from Santacruz to Nerul via SCLR (Santacruz-Chembur Link Road). While returning, i used to get stopped by traffic cops under the Mankhurd flyover for having a tinted glass, every single day.The glass is factory fitted, and may be because its an Elegance model, the tint on the glass is a bit darker than other vehicles. There is no external filming applied to it. For weeks together, i was stopped at the same spot, as there is a signal, by different cops. The routine was, they will stop me, ask for my licence then we'll discuss about the tint, then they will ask for my other documents like Insurance and registration papers, PUC etc. Finally once they were satisfied that i dont have any filming on my glass, and all the paper work in order, they used to let me go.
This had happened so many times at the same spot, that i used to remember the cops by their names. And tell them that MR. so and so had stopped me yesterday, then that guy used to laugh and let me go.

Now, the last incident took place at the Ghatkopar junction and the usual stuff started. With tints, then paper work and so on. As usual everything was in order. Now this guy noted the muffler at the back. He said its not allowed. All other Fabia's dont have it. You have put it externally. I agreed, i said yes i have. But,my car doesn't make that much loud noise. And PUC also says its well within the required norms. I convinced the cop somehow that its well within the range of noise and emission regulations. (Sound meter app on android helped me here.) And also the guy was pretty impressed with the condition of my car even after being 6 years old. We exchanged friendly gestures and he let me go eventually.

What now
When i reached home, i started searching over internet for Motor Vehicle Act regarding permissible noise levels for running vehicles and rules regarding modifications. This is what i found.

Motor Vehicle Act
MOTOR VEHICLE ACT REGULATIONS
includes amendments up to B.C. Reg. 116/2015, June 12, 2015
Division 7 — Other Equipment
Muffler

(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.
Cut-outs prohibited
(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.
Part removal prohibited
(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed any baffle plate or other part.
Alteration prohibited
(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.
Noise increase or flames prohibited
(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be emitted from the exhaust system.
[am. B.C. Reg. 29/59.]

My question here 1
Am i violating the law? If we consider the first rule of cooling and noise of the exhaust gases, my car doesn't violate this rule. But about alterations, may be yes.

Noise regulation
I looked over the internet for the permissible noise levels of the vehicles, and this is what i found.

Noise Pollution Norms

Noise standards for automobiles,domestic appliances and construction equipments have been notified in Part 'E',Schedule-VI of Environment(Protection)Rules,1986,as ammended on 19th May,1993,as given in the Tables below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Category of Vehicle Noise limit in dB(A)
(a)Motorcycle,scooters and three 80
wheelers.
(b)Passenger Cars 82
(c)Passenger or commercial vehicles 85
upto 4 MT
(d)Passenger or commercial vehicles 89
above 4 MT and upto 12 MT
(e)Passenger or commercial vehicles 91
exceeding 12 MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, when i showed the cop on my Sound Meter app, the values were fluctuating between 76db to 84db. But as it was a noisy junction, i could convince him otherwise.

My question here 2
Considering the noise pollution norms, when i checked at night, my car was making 72 db when its idling. There is another method to look for the noise emitted by moving vehicles. But that has do be done on a track specifically designed for vehicle testing. I'm attaching the article here.
Noise check.pdf

Facts
1. I have done alterations to the vehicle - YES
2. Is it causing violation of the pollution norms of india - NO
3. Is it causing violation of noise pollution norms of india - NO

Important questions here
1. What should i do now?
Remove the muffler and fit the original muffler back? But why should i do that, i'm not causing any trouble to the society. All the paper work is in order. Just that i am in need of little more power to get off the line faster than others at signals.
2. Should we stop modifying the cars?
Never. Its our passion. For some people its their hobby.
3. What is the way out of this?
There are people running around with cut outs, or even without mufflers. Such maniacs cause trouble to those who want to modify their ride, but by following the regulations and norms. People breaking the rules should be brought to justice, i agree. But there should be a sound mind behind it to get it done professionally.

Required links
1. Motor vehicle act - Motor Vehicle Act India, 1988.pdf
2. Central motor vehicle rule - Central Motor Vehicle rules.pdf
3. Motor vehicle act regulation - http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/...treg/26_58_pit
4. MOTOR VEHICLE ACT REGULATIONS, Division 7 - http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/...eside/26_58_04
5. Noise standards - http://envfor.nic.in/citizen/specinfo/noise.html

Note - Moderators, please merge my post if any existing forum is there. I couldn't find it, hence made a separate thread. Thank you.

Keep Modifying and Keep Revvin'
allien936 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: What are Legally permissible modifications to increase the performance of the car in India.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
Noise Pollution Norms

Noise standards for automobiles,domestic appliances and construction equipments have been notified in Part 'E',Schedule-VI of Environment(Protection)Rules,1986,as ammended on 19th May,1993,as given in the Tables below.
Category of Vehicle Noise limit in dB(A)
(a)Motorcycle,scooters and three 80
wheelers.
(b)Passenger Cars 82
(c)Passenger or commercial vehicles 85
upto 4 MT
(d)Passenger or commercial vehicles 89
above 4 MT and upto 12 MT
(e)Passenger or commercial vehicles 91
exceeding 12 MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, when i showed the cop on my Sound Meter app, the values were fluctuating between 76db to 84db. But as it was a noisy junction, i could convince him otherwise.
Regarding the Sound meter app, you will have to ensure that the app displays A-weighted decibels, and not unweighted decibels.

So in other words, it is possible that your unweighted sound meter reading shows 100 dB, but by using A-weighting scheme (which confirms better with how our ears hear, and how our brain processes sounds), you may get a reading of 60 dB(A)!
[Gist of A-weighting is that lower frequencies are not as loud sounding as higher frequencies, and thankfully the norms take cognizance of this fact]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

Last edited by alpha1 : 22nd December 2015 at 13:47.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:30   #42
BHPian

Re: What are Legally permissible modifications to increase the performance of the car in India.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Regarding the Sound meter app, you will have to ensure that the app displays A-weighted decibels, and not unweighted decibels.
The app shows the levels in dB(A) only.
Own a modified car in India? Might want to read this-kardous2.jpg
In fact, when i did a little research, i found an article where people have compared these apps to check for the accuracy. And they found that they are close to actual values with +/- 2dB(A) deviation.
http://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-b...09/sound-apps/

Thanks alpha1, this point ads more value to my discussion here, and helps to stick to the modifications.
allien936 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks