Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 13:17   #1
BHPian

How to upgrade my Captiva LT to Captiva Automatic Tx

Hi,

I bought the Chevrolet Captiva LT in Sep 2008.
Now Chevrolet has launched the Automatic variant with AWD. I am really keen on upgrading my vehicle to this version.

The feature I am most interested in is the Automatic transmission (not the AWD, traction control etc..). I contacted my dealer, other dealers and GM, but none of them had any clue about this.

But my sense is these different variants are really made from swappable components. So, it should not be too difficult to get an automatic tx fitted, esp. since one is available from the company now.

Please let me know your thoughts on whether it is advisable to go ahead with such a swap. If so, which places could I get this done from?

thanks a ton in advance.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

It is possible but you would have spent almost 30% more plus even having to try and source the components, trying to find someone to fit it, optimise it, new ECU - list is endless. Add the fact that no one will buy your frankenstein and the RC book will need updation

Will cost less to sell existing car and buy
Old 20th March 2009, 15:24   #3
BHPian

I suggest you sell this and buy a new automatic...would be the more efficient thing to do
Old 20th March 2009, 15:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhpreet View Post
Hi,

I bought the Chevrolet Captiva LT in Sep 2008.
Now Chevrolet has launched the Automatic variant with AWD. I am really keen on upgrading my vehicle to this version.

The feature I am most interested in is the Automatic transmission (not the AWD, traction control etc..). I contacted my dealer, other dealers and GM, but none of them had any clue about this.

But my sense is these different variants are really made from swappable components. So, it should not be too difficult to get an automatic tx fitted, esp. since one is available from the company now.

Please let me know your thoughts on whether it is advisable to go ahead with such a swap. If so, which places could I get this done from?

thanks a ton in advance.
Best option would be to exchange your current one with the new one. Other options will nullify warranty and would be far more risky.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:42   #5
BHPian

First of all ask yourself:
Quote:
Why do I need the Automatic variant with AWD?
Then decide. My 2 cents.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:58   #6
BHPian

Never heard of a convert from manual to automatic tranny. Yes, it's all component as you said but installed from the company's factory, something that cannot be just done outside.
Old 20th March 2009, 16:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Simple ajmat is right sell old buy new less expensive more rewarding less headach no wasteful spend
Old 20th March 2009, 17:30   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the comments.

My inclination for the automatic was the convenience in city driving. AWD is not something I desire.

A while back I inquired about the upgrade to automatic with some car modifier in Punjabi Bagh, Delhi. He said he could do it in 1-1.5 lac with the original assembly/tx imported (as captiva automatic was still to be launched in india then). Given that the Automatic version is around 2 lac more expensive, plus there would be the additional loss of depreciation while selling the current vehicle, I thought upgrading would be more economical.
But with the additional, and more serious, drawbacks of loosing the warranty and getting the registration fixed, I feel this isn't a practical solution.

IMO I would switch do a different car, an automatic one, than selling and buying the same vehicle back
Old 20th March 2009, 17:47   #9
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the comments.

My inclination for the automatic version was for the convenience of auto tx in city driving, and not for the awd.

a while back I inquired abt this upgrade from a modifier in karol bagh, delhi. he quoted 1-1.5 lack with the original assembly/tx imported (since the model was not yet launched in india). so, my feeling was the amt i wud lose in resale, plus the 2 lakh higher cost of the new model, wud cost me much more than an upgrade.

however, the warranty and registration part now makes me feel that this is a very risky, and impractical proposition.

thanks a ton!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks