Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 13:53   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
As regards the tyres grazing with body on certain terrain approach, I have already increased the hight by two plates in the rear and one plate in the front. As a result I have very bumpy ride already. Think the solution lies only in SPOA. I want to avoid it.
Sir,

Please recamber the leafs and have proper bump stops fitted all around. This will prevent the wheels touching the body.

Additionally, you could invest in a good set of gas dampers all round to help soften your ride.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GTO.

Will post the pictures shortly for complete work done.
Engine needs to be tuned and will get it done this week
As regards the tyres grazing with body on certain terrain approach, I have already increased the hight by two plates in the rear and one plate in the front. As a result I have very bumpy ride already. Think the solution lies only in SPOA. I want to avoid it. I use the gypsy for highway drives too.

Any suggestions, please

Dwarak
hi dwaraka,
Though iam not a Gypsy boy, but i feel adding few leafs will not help. It will worsen the ride and will reduce articulation. i suggest you selling the tyres and exchange the same pattern with less wider tyre. This is economical than SPOA set up.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:53   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
In that case Dwarak can take her back to DC again. But god only knows what will come out.
Give some credit to God - I doubt if God would want to have anything to do (knowledge, even) with what comes out from there.
Old 21st April 2009, 15:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

Thanks folks,

Let me see what best can be done. What ever it is i am liking the power.

Dwarak
Old 21st April 2009, 16:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

The power of the car is very very good while sitting in Khan_sultans gypsy we could here this one cruise along wiht no strain whatsover.
regards to articulation,wheel size tire size, etc. all new to me not well versed with off roading so cannot say much.
BUT the DC bodywork, please
Old 21st April 2009, 16:53   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i think if you rework the wheel arches and the wheel wells it might help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
... How much you can work on wheel arch? Vertical movement is way too much as I've noticed that day. Even while reversing (just before that electrical issue) front wheels were pushing body hard...
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
in the case of dwaraks gypsy due to the modded bodywork the depth of the wheel well and the height of the wheel arches is lesser than a regular gypsy.
That's the core problem area. Practically, there is NO wheel well in his gypsy. The wheel well is 'steel/fiber plate' right across (in a semi-cricle manner) and the tyre touches the wheel well even on a feather (in off-roading terms).

Dwarak, as first step you SURE need to open up the wheel well. Else all this power etc is of NO use.

Then you could look at the wheel arch -- if the wheel is protruding too much out.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:38   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of 1.8 ISZ 4x4's, I remember Mahindra getting a petrol 550 to a great escape. Completely kitted out with offroad rubber and an MPFi 1.8 ISZ mated perfectly to the 4x4 drive. Mahindra's then Senior Manager Mr. Godrej (a complete gentleman if I ever met one) gave me a spin in her. Man, the sheer grunt was unbelievable! The beast just ran up and down hills, most of it in 4x2, without ever losing a beat. The massive pre-climb momentum it build up was a revelation for someone who drove a 62BHP ol' diesel.

Simply fantastic machine, They built only a handful, some of which found their way into personal garages too (rest retained my MM). It's anybodys guess where they are now (if at all on the road). The way I see others picking up dilapidated Army 550's, these factory-fit 1.8s ought to be collector items!
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Simply fantastic machine, They built only a handful, some of which found their way into personal garages too (rest retained my MM). It's anybodys guess where they are now (if at all on the road). The way I see others picking up dilapidated Army 550's, these factory-fit 1.8s ought to be collector items!
I agree. Have read reviews of them many years back and am looking for a factory fitted one..any clues as to where to find them.
Old 23rd April 2009, 01:30   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I agree. Have read reviews of them many years back and am looking for a factory fitted one..any clues as to where to find them.
I have driven that jeep, was planning to buy one, later found out that jeep was accidental. It was a pleasant drive amazing power, gear ratio was perfectly matched. Though did'nt like handling, either it was due to the accident or could be because of the lighter engine compared to Xd series.
Old 24th April 2009, 19:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Taken the delivery of Ipzy from mechanic - Shabbir after throughing the front propellor shaft. Though work done , not to pinpoint precision, noice and shuddering has reduced. Alignment is much better. I have to now give the vehicle to professional Maruti service centre and get fine tuned for knocking off all noice and vibrations. This will be done in next week end.

I am truly happy the engine and gearbox swap worked out very well. Thank you folks for guiding me with suggestions and advices.

Dwarak
Old 24th April 2009, 20:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of 1.8 ISZ 4x4's, I remember Mahindra getting a petrol 550 to a great escape. Completely kitted out with offroad rubber and an MPFi 1.8 ISZ mated perfectly to the 4x4 drive. Mahindra's then Senior Manager Mr. Godrej (a complete gentleman if I ever met one) gave me a spin in her. Man, the sheer grunt was unbelievable! The beast just ran up and down hills, most of it in 4x2, without ever losing a beat. The massive pre-climb momentum it build up was a revelation for someone who drove a 62BHP ol' diesel.

I have seen one petrol 550 being used by police in my hometown.
so i guess they might be more than a handful.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:15   #87
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good outcome of an interesting modification process dwarak sir. Any electrical/ wiring issues encountered in particular while plonking the mpfi engine?
Quote:
....Completely kitted out with offroad rubber and an MPFi 1.8 ISZ mated perfectly to the 4x4 drive. ... Man, the sheer grunt was unbelievable! The beast just ran up and down hills, most of it in 4x2, without ever losing a beat. The massive pre-climb momentum it build up was a revelation for someone who drove a 62BHP ol' diesel...
Simply fantastic machine, They built only a handful, some of which found their way into personal garages too (rest retained my MM)...
Only heard about these, never been able to see one on road in reality. It was far more superior as an occasional off-roader+daily-driver. I think it was mostly sold in western regions. And thats really some good information for people who find it bit difficult to accept the 1.8 ISZ petrol as a good engine for the jeep (with a proper matching gearbox) and not just amby's engine!!
Old 6th May 2009, 20:06   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Thats a good outcome of an interesting modification process dwarak sir. Any electrical/ wiring issues encountered in particular while plonking the mpfi engine?

Kandisa,

Thanks! Yes there were little confusion on wiring/electricals. I hired a professional electrician who had ample experience in MPFI versions.

I feel the battery needs a change. I experience the crank is not immediate. It takes atleast 3 - 4 cranks to cold start.

Now it is time for Professional touchup viz., wiring, tuning up engine, further eliminating the propellor shaft noice and shudders, A/C fitment. Ipzy is already at Garage.

Thank you folks for valuable suggestions and advices.

Warm regards,
Dwarak
Old 10th May 2009, 22:25   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
There are plenty of gypsies lying this side of town!
Well that is certainly a happy news for me.
I am looking for widetracks /kings from South India for a similar project.
guide & help expected
Old 9th October 2009, 23:26   #90
BHPian

Quote:
mine is isuzu 1800 cc engine. eeto find right mechanic to work on.
Hey Dwarak Mamu,
1>This offer is only for you.
2> How about you and I get the old lady's heart stripped to bits.I will guide and give gyan while you do all the work
3>Seriously though that is an option worth contemplating.We could always call experienced people for guidance .
4> I think a compression test (wet/dry) will tell us which direction to head.
5> And does your engine smoke continuously or only when you rev it up ??
Cheers
Jammy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks