Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2009, 20:41   #46
srinivas9446

Hey Ripper,

I have been reading a lot on the PETEs.

Would you educate me if there will not be any adverse effects on the engine if this is used for a longtime. This doubt is due to the reason that the stock engines are tuned to work efficiently with certain set STOCK Parameters, changing these set parameters ??? i dont know...stress on the clutch to deliver, so many other things...

please do educate me on these.

Old 27th September 2009, 20:55   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
Hey Ripper,

I have been reading a lot on the PETEs.

Would you educate me if there will not be any adverse effects on the engine if this is used for a longtime. This doubt is due to the reason that the stock engines are tuned to work efficiently with certain set STOCK Parameters, changing these set parameters ??? i dont know...stress on the clutch to deliver, so many other things...

please do educate me on these.
buddy ive been using petes on my innova for about 45000 kms now. theres been NO problem whatsoever. the only thing is mightve caused is a slightly early clutch replacement at 55k kms, but then again my car goes through alot of traffic everyday.
Old 27th September 2009, 20:55   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you to properly run in the engine for atleast 5k kms before adding the tuning box.

I dont think adding a tuning box will reduce reliablity in anyway, but additional torque will surely reduce clutch, gearbox,turbo and other internal parts' life in long term.

Anyways even i am waiting for some cash to buy a Pete's box for my Punto.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th September 2009 at 20:57.
Old 27th September 2009, 22:31   #49
rippergeo

The tuning box varies only the fuel qty injected by miniscule amounts. the timing of the injection and the duration of the injections are varied a little. this is what makes the 20-30% gain in power and torque without actually causing a large drop in FE.

there will be more stress on the drive train/fuel supply systems etc.
the tuning boxes do not push the limits of these systems as much as we think. These boxes hardly ever cause failure of anything. More wear and tear, yes, but not enough to make a difference to the normal life expectancy of a car.

My clutch failed after 35k of constant abuse and finally,gave up completely when the remap bumped up the power above 100bhp. that was expected.
The way I launched the car at every available oppurtunity, and slipped the clutch mercilessly on some sticky offroad situations,, its a wonder I didnt fry the clutch at half that distance.

the turbo had failed earlier. people might say thats because of the tuning box. Maybe, maybe not- but when you think about it, a large number of turbos fail on stock swifts too.

I'm still using the tuning box on my brother's 2.5 liter endeavour which has run almost 30k without any hitches. a number of my friends run tuning boxes on their diesels without trouble, a good number of them on tbhp.

My take is- if the part is inferior in quality, it will fail. tuning box or not. the tuning box might speed up the process a little, but not by a huge amount.

I can tell you this much- the tuning boxes are a lot safer,convenient and easy than doing things like altering the compression or even porting and polishing
the gains from a tuning box will put pretty much anything else in the same price range to shame. to me, it still looks like its safe/VFM and bang for buck.
Ultimately its your call

Old 5th October 2009, 09:19   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Guys, I've Pete'd my Palio MJD. Don't know if its the same box as the one on the Swift. The Palio works bloody brilliantly with the kit on
Did you also have to change the stock air filter? I'm thinking of changing the air filter to K&N green cotton air filter. Any idea about the price of such filter? Petes website does not have replacement filter for Linea.
Old 17th October 2009, 17:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Is the Pete's box for punto available? I saw this on youtube :

The Pete's website does not list the punto though. Would love to hear someone who's been using it.
Old 17th October 2009, 18:02   #52
BHPian

petes can also remap ur punto and upgrade its turbo similar to swift to produce 110-120bhp . but he said the turbo is slightly different to the one on the swift and hence will take a little more time. he also has bilstein for punto ready in stock . if u r ready to spent he can make ur punto rock.
Old 18th October 2009, 14:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

nkapoor, did you pete your punto yet? If you have, please provide us with a feedback.
Old 18th October 2009, 16:08   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Did you also have to change the stock air filter? I'm thinking of changing the air filter to K&N green cotton air filter. Any idea about the price of such filter? Petes website does not have replacement filter for Linea.
Usually you have to. Or else you will emit a lot of smoke. And K&N is a different brand just like Green Cotton. You have quite a range in it. Depends on your requirement. In GC, you have wind, storm and twister. Do check the site again. It does have all the details.
Old 19th October 2009, 11:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

Petes Tuned Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet Review

Hi Friends..!!

The Fiat Grande Punto has been selling in decent numbers,but many have reported that the car is a bit sluggish when compared to other cars in the same league.Many Fiat Punto owners including me have thought of installing Petes Tuning Kit in the car.

So here is the review of the Petes tuned Fiat grande Punto 1.3 Multijet by MotorBeam Team which I found useful - Petes Tuned Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet Review

I hope that the above link will be useful for Fiat Punto owners as well as car enthusiasts

All your inputs are welcome
Old 19th October 2009, 12:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

I am looking forward to any owner in T-bhp who has tried the product.
Can someone do the honors please ?
Old 19th October 2009, 12:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

Review said not much improvement in 1st and 2nd gears - isn't that something to look forward to in city driving ?
Old 19th October 2009, 12:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

I believe nitin aka nkapoor777 (Hope i am spelling his handle correctly) has already installed in his punto. Ping him.
Old 19th October 2009, 18:22   #59
BHPian

Petes Tuned Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet Review
Quote:
It is evident that there is a marked difference in the performance of the Punto after installing the tuning box. So to see how exactly the Punto fared, we but it up against a stock Swift. In a drag race situation the Swift seems to accelerate out faster owing to the lighter weight but soon the Punto catches up. At 100kmph the Punto is marginally ahead and at about 120kmph the Punto has clearly outdone the Swift by a cars length. The box cuts 4 seconds off the Punto’s 0-100 time with a ton coming up in 13.5 seconds. In gear acceleration is faster and the car pulls massively in 5th gear.
wow is the reviewer kidding or what.? 4 seconds faster.? . i don't think the swift shows that much difference with the box.I was thinking maybe 2 seconds difference .If it indeed makes the car quicker than the swift to 100 then i cant wait to get my hands on it!
Old 25th October 2009, 12:55   #60
BHPian

Hi Ice,

How much did you pay for pete box and where can I source one from Gurgaon. I have punto mjd.

Thanks.

Dheeraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Guys, I've Pete'd my Palio MJD. Don't know if its the same box as the one on the Swift. The Palio works bloody brilliantly with the kit on

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks