Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 12:20   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Bunch of liers lol, i have been got done 4 service on my palio, never seen any one using a scanner. Its VST motors chennai, they have pretty big service center. I have also seen many puntos and lineas in the service bay never seen anything of that sort connected to the car.
In VST,They have the Fiat scanner for checking the whole car.
Even i too checked it personally.
Old 12th April 2010, 02:32   #92
Ice
BHPian

I service my Palio MJD at Prerana Motors, OMR, Bangalore. I remove the box before setting out to the service station, and refit it after I get the car back. I have had a defective turbo changed under warranty - and they went through the ECU read-out with a fine toothed comb before approving the change under warranty. But no sweat - obviously any incriminating lines of code about the box were missing.
Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2010, 06:52   #93
BHPian

ICE - that is very reassuring statement that you have made. Since you are using the Petes box, could you write your experience with the box and how much of a difference it has made to your Palio MJD post the box.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:42   #94
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
what if the battery is disconnected n connected again prior t sending for service?
wouldn't that remove any signs of a tuning box from the ecu?
When you disconnect the battery for a short while all you loose is the long term fuel trim, which is the larning capability of the ECU.

The data logger has to be cleared, which you can't even do with an examiner.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:16   #95
BHPian

thank you cph.

ice,you've put me in a mess. I'm still unsure,does a pete's box register or not?
Old 12th April 2010, 21:40   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I have had a defective turbo changed under warranty - and they went through the ECU read-out with a fine toothed comb before approving the change under warranty.
Ice, do you remember the cost of the turbo from the bill ? Also, what was the labor amount ?

I understand it was covered under warranty but was keen on knowing the costs.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:29   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do a lot of Pete'd cars have blown turbo problems? I have rarely seen a properly maintained and driven stock car with turbo problems.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:14   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Why do a lot of Pete'd cars have blown turbo problems? I have rarely seen a properly maintained and driven stock car with turbo problems.
Rich mixtures emanate a lot of unburnt fossil fuel in the form of black smoke. This carbon ends up in the turbine housing and the bearings of the turbo unit. Rest is easy to figure. Carbon build up messes with lubrication and heat dissipation. In addition to that FIAT/TATA and Maruti are using the cheapest aggregates as far as the turbo unit is concerned. If your tuning box does not control the airflow in addition to fuel flow do not touch it with a barge pole.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 13th April 2010 at 00:15.
Old 13th April 2010, 01:53   #99
BHPian

+1.
Well said Pullockaran.Pete's boxes work on the principle of just dumping in more fuel leading to a richer air-fuel mixture. I have not personally used a Pete"s box myself, but its a widely accepted fact that a remap is the better option, for extracting enhanced performance from a crdi turbo diesel engine if u do not want to have smoking issues under load.
Old 13th April 2010, 04:41   #100
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Rich mixtures emanate a lot of unburnt fossil fuel in the form of black smoke. This carbon ends up in the turbine housing and the bearings of the turbo unit. Rest is easy to figure. Carbon build up messes with lubrication and heat dissipation. In addition to that FIAT/TATA and Maruti are using the cheapest aggregates as far as the turbo unit is concerned. If your tuning box does not control the airflow in addition to fuel flow do not touch it with a barge pole.
I do agree with you apart from the point you made regarding the turbos.

The petrol ones are IHIs, which we have mapped in Europe and had no problems for some of them now having done 70k since mapping.

The Diesels use Garrets, which were fine apart from on batch that went wrong, but Volkswagen got units fromt the same batch showing the same problems.
Old 13th April 2010, 08:37   #101
Senior - BHPian

So fiat uses garret in Europe ? In india I believe maruti ( and even Fiat ? ) uses KKK turbochargers.
Old 13th April 2010, 23:41   #102
BHPian

Severe cost cutting measures in the FIAT 1.3 MJD engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
I do agree with you apart from the point you made regarding the turbos.

The petrol ones are IHIs, which we have mapped in Europe and had no problems for some of them now having done 70k since mapping.

The Diesels use Garrets, which were fine apart from on batch that went wrong, but Volkswagen got units fromt the same batch showing the same problems.
Dear CPH,
I am sure in the petrols that you chipped/mapped you did not allow the mixture to become richer than 11:1 air is to petrol ratio.

Diesel engines turbo is more susceptible to soot build up because of the very nature of the fuel and its burning characteristics.

I am not doubting your acumen though. You have succeeded because you used the best aggregates. In India in the name of cost cutting the price of the turbo used in the first batch of Palio mjd used to cost 53000 indian rupees and the present batch with the 1.3mjd engine used in many Indian cars costs just 16000 rupees. Its easy to figure out why the present day turbos konk out so soon. Also note my deductions could be totally wrong since I am an Orthodontist by profession and electricals/mechanicals and electronics is just my hobby.
Old 14th April 2010, 00:54   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Dear CPH,
I am sure in the petrols that you chipped/mapped you did not allow the mixture to become richer than 11:1 air is to petrol ratio.

Diesel engines turbo is more susceptible to soot build up because of the very nature of the fuel and its burning characteristics.

I am not doubting your acumen though. You have succeeded because you used the best aggregates. In India in the name of cost cutting the price of the turbo used in the first batch of Palio mjd used to cost 53000 indian rupees and the present batch with the 1.3mjd engine used in many Indian cars costs just 16000 rupees. Its easy to figure out why the present day turbos konk out so soon. Also note my deductions could be totally wrong since I am an Orthodontist by profession and electricals/mechanicals and electronics is just my hobby.
i think partly its because it was imported before but now its made in india.
btw even the DDIS turbo costs around 20k
Old 16th April 2010, 15:13   #104
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Dear CPH,

I am not too sure whether you have to blame the quality of the turbo charger rather than the people who try to supply a lower grade of Diesel (not removing certan substances because it is more profitable) and the people mapping the Diesel.

We have a lot of so called re-mappers I wouldn't even touch with a barge pole because they are mapping totally wrong, which results in smake and now it is getting even worse because of the DPF you can't see their 'handy work'.

I would like to see one of the blown turbos and compare it to the ones over here.
Old 16th April 2010, 22:45   #105
BHPian

The turbo in the Swift's Fiat diesel engine is probably the worst of the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulu10 View Post
i think partly its because it was imported before but now its made in india.
btw even the DDIS turbo costs around 20k
The engines are the same only the mapping and probably the turbo unit is different. By the way the quote for Rs16000/- was for the 1.3 FIAT diesel engine in the Swift. Ripper changed his turbo in his Swift but this time he got a propah turbo from Peter for about Rs53000( he got it free though) and that unit is working fine in his hyper tuned FIAT engine. The turbo used in the FIAT engine for the Vista, Dezire and the Punto/Linea is about Rs23000

Last edited by drpullockaran : 16th April 2010 at 22:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks