Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 11:14   #1
BHPian

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model

Last weekend I decided to revive my father-in-law's 84 model Maruti 800 DX. It had been sitting in the parking for a few months and had been through a flooding cycle in my building basement. It had started to eat at my conscience and I decided to take the plunge. Got assistance from a friend who is also an enthusiast and we took up the task.

The tyres had lost pressure and we took them off. Got them refilled, fitted back and they were back to normal. These are not too worn out and will last a couple of years more. The battery had shorted and died and the petrol tank was dry as a bone. With a replacement battery and a can of petrol, directly feeding the engine through a set of tubing, the car cranked up at the first shot. Drove it to the local garage for cleaning, checking and tuning.

The garage guy had been maintaining this car for me for around 4 years before it went into hibernation. He was delighted to see it back in his yard! Left it with him for a couple of days. The following tasks were performed:

Wheel bearings greased
Petrol tank cleaned
All fluids changed (engine oil, coolant, brake fluid etc.)
Engine tuned, sparks etc. cleaned
General checkup and greasing
New battery (Exide)

Total - Rs. 2340 (engine maintenance) + Rs. 3000 (new battery)

Now we needed a good body work guy to restore the showing signs of age on the body of the car. Went around town and talked to quite a few people. Most of them were 'general welders' who said they would do the job and quoted exorbitant amounts for it (anywhere between 17k to 30k!) Having lost my confidence in the two day hunt for a good guy, I almost ditched the project!

Luckily, my friend remembered a local body modder. We went and met him (Mr. Desuza). He has been doing car body work and modding for around 20 years. His eyes gleamed at the mention on 'old model Maruti to be restored'! . That gleam was enough for me to make my decision.

Yesterday morning, I drove the car to his shed. He looked at the car and gave me an approximate estimate of 'guess how much!' (refer pics for guessing the estimate on the job). I am now getting body work (patching, denting, welding and panel fabrication if required) and a complete interior and exterior paint job done on the car now! The paint choice remains red (although some people are insisting I make it yellow!).

Ths body work and repainting would take around 10 days. I will then look at doing the interiors. Will keep taking pics and post.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:39   #2
BHPian

Here are the pics. For some reason they did not show up in my first post.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0227.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0228.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0229.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0230.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0232.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0233.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0234.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0235.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0236.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0237.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0238.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0239.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0240.jpg  

Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model-imag0242.jpg  

the_maassk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2009, 11:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Ths body work and repainting would take around 10 days. I will then look at doing the interiors. Will keep taking pics and post.
Nice to see another 800 getting restored. All the best & do keep us posted with pics and details.
Old 20th April 2009, 12:28   #4
BHPian

It looks like lots of work buddy. There is rust all over. It will be a real challenge for Mr DSouza & his team. Are you getting all mechanics fixed from him? Hope you must have listed all the mechanics that needs to be fixed now or later. Also spares availability.

Make sure you have all steps planned so not to miss anything.

Once its ready it will ride like a dream!

Im sure your father-in-law will be pleased with the hard-work & money your spending & gifts this car to you...... ;-)

Please keep posting.

Thanks.

Also you haven't mentioned about the estimate...i guess its around 20,000-25,000??
Old 20th April 2009, 13:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Way to go 'the_maassk' ! The SS80 is a delightful car, you won't ever be disappointed !
Old 20th April 2009, 13:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
It looks like lots of work buddy. There is rust all over. It will be a real challenge for Mr DSouza & his team. Are you getting all mechanics fixed from him? Hope you must have listed all the mechanics that needs to be fixed now or later. Also spares availability.

Make sure you have all steps planned so not to miss anything.

Once its ready it will ride like a dream!
The mechanicals will be fixed between him and my usual mechanic. They are unmounting the engine today. Mr. Desuza has access to two scrapped SS80's from where we will scavenge some spares (already sourced a headlamp and a tail lamp assembly. Am listing them down. The beadings and linings look okay except for a rubber lining in the engine bay.

I'm sure it will ride like a dream once done!
Old 20th April 2009, 13:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good to see a lot of SS80s gettig restored.I wonder if they will go into Vintage category one day considering that all the parts were orginally made in japan except the tyres.
Old 20th April 2009, 14:00   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
The mechanicals will be fixed between him and my usual mechanic. They are unmounting the engine today. Mr. Desuza has access to two scrapped SS80's from where we will scavenge some spares (already sourced a headlamp and a tail lamp assembly. Am listing them down. The beadings and linings look okay except for a rubber lining in the engine bay.

I'm sure it will ride like a dream once done!
Good to see some work happening on the car, Best of luck for your restoration.

By the pics you've posted the car is not a DX.

DX are referred to cars with A/C's
Old 20th April 2009, 14:07   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the correction Pavan. Mods - can someone please change the thread title to "Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model"
Old 21st April 2009, 07:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

this car is not at all a DX. it is a standard model car.no clock,stereo, tinted glass.so maassk ,please correct that notion
Old 21st April 2009, 09:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
this car is not at all a DX. it is a standard model car.no clock,stereo, tinted glass.so maassk ,please correct that notion
Please see my previous post. I have already requested mods to correct the thread title.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Good to see some work happening on the car, Best of luck for your restoration.

By the pics you've posted the car is not a DX.

DX are referred to cars with A/C's
slight correction ,All SS80's fitted with A/C are not DX.All DXs had seatbelts , digital clock ,clarion am/fm radiostereo in addition to A/c. In 1985 few cars did come fitted with factory a/c and tinted glass and they were not badged DX.there was a price differential of around 16000/-rupees between that version(called semi deluxe by some dealers) and genuine DX.I know many such carowners claiming that such cars were also DX models and seatbelts and stereo were options
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great job in progress buddy!!!

Does this vehicle have a Delhi registration???
I can judge from the 'D' on the number plate on one of the pics!!!
A friend of mine had the same car, I think his was maybe 1985 or a couple of years later and was 'DBA 5351'.
Best of luck with your restoration.
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:51   #14
Team-BHP Support

Great project. I hope you have all the plastic parts with you. Lamp housings are the most difficult to source. Actually same goes for entire garnishing parts. Take time to get those and don't do a last moment rush.

Also you can consult/read this thread. Edmund's suggestion would be a great help.
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Great project. I hope you have all the plastic parts with you. Lamp housings are the most difficult to source. Actually same goes for entire garnishing parts. Take time to get those and don't do a last moment rush.

Also you can consult/read this thread. Edmund's suggestion would be a great help.
Thanks for the advice Rudra. Unfortunately, its a little difficult to juggle between the job progress and my office during weekdays. There are a few parts that I need to source for sure. Have a trip planned to a few old garages to salvage some parts I might need. The lamp housings have already been sourced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Great job in progress buddy!!!

Does this vehicle have a Delhi registration???
I can judge from the 'D' on the number plate on one of the pics!!!
A friend of mine had the same car, I think his was maybe 1985 or a couple of years later and was 'DBA 5351'.
Best of luck with your restoration.
Harjeev - Yes, the car has a Delhi registration . Its not the same you have mentioned though. Thanks for all the luck!

Most Viewed