Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 12:56   #16
BHPian

Hi friends, after some searching I found this on E-Bay

HONDA CIVIC ACCORD DEL SOL CRV 4 WIRE OXYGEN O2 SENSOR :eBay Motors (item 170402657394 end time Dec-03-09 17:12:37 PST)

Will this fit on my OHC?

It is written on the product description that it is compatible with DENSO'S 234-4099 - the one which VTEC guy got for his OHC Vtec.
Old 7th November 2009, 17:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
The same thing happened to me on my corsa. The problem was i had a very large size filter .After i changed to something more appropriate it was much better the rpm was holding well and even the power went really up.

Try That.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:49   #18
BHPian

Ok friends, I inquired around a bit and managed to source an O2 sensor for 4.5K - the make is taiwan and shop owner promised a 2 month warranty. He told me that he has replaced O2 sensors of taiwan make for many of his customers and no problems reported. Hopefully, I will get it replaced within next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Hi,
The same thing happened to me on my corsa. The problem was i had a very large size filter .After i changed to something more appropriate it was much better the rpm was holding well and even the power went really up.

Try That.
Hi Arjunruda, I installed the K&N Replacement filter and its same size as OEM one. Im having no problems with the filter - its the O2 sensor that has fault.
Old 14th November 2009, 09:30   #19
BHPian

Got O2 Sensor Changed

Sorry for not posting back here, but I was busy. I replaced the O2 Sensor and the CEL Light has turned off *thank god*

.....but the idle RPM stays the same (1000 RPM)!! I inquired at a garage (not honda) and the mechanic there told me that since I put on a K&N filter and a freeflow exhaust, the car needs to be tuned (what type of tuning, he did not specify clearly but he said something to do with the inlet) but Honda guys are strictly against this...

Any suggestions guys??
Old 14th November 2009, 13:29   #20
BHPian

I reiterate - RESET your ECU and get the timing/tuning done if required. You're good to go!

If this does not help, then we look at other aspects like cleaning the TB / IACV / Injectors / Plugs. If you haven't already done this for a long time, I suggest you do it now and enjoy the FFE and K&N better.

Oh, congrats for the successful O2 sensor change
Old 14th November 2009, 15:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Can you check if the TB cable is loose enough? It might be keeping the butterfly open a little bit causing the higher revs.
Old 14th November 2009, 16:02   #22
BHPian

Tried Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I reiterate - RESET your ECU and get the timing/tuning done if required. You're good to go!

If this does not help, then we look at other aspects like cleaning the TB / IACV / Injectors / Plugs. If you haven't already done this for a long time, I suggest you do it now and enjoy the FFE and K&N better.

Oh, congrats for the successful O2 sensor change
* ECU was reset by Honda mechanics after replacing the O2 sensor
* TB was cleaned and checked during the 50,000 KM service at Honda (after the FFE was fitted)
* Injectors and Plugs were cleaned by them

TBH Honda guys are baffled by this problem -- they have tried everything they could possibly think of.

Thank You!! I am glad the O2 sensor turned off the CEL light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Can you check if the TB cable is loose enough? It might be keeping the butterfly open a little bit causing the higher revs.
No luck pranavt - the honda mechanics checked this too upon my request. Do you think there is some problem with the ECU?

Thank you so much guys for your replies!

and BTW apart from this idling problem, the car is running perfectly - FFE has caused a marked improvement in sound and performance (esp. pulling in the lower RPMs)

If this idling niggle is solved, the car will be 100% perfect. So I'm praying it gets fixed sooner or later. Please do post here if you think of any other ideas!
Old 14th November 2009, 16:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
* TB was cleaned and checked during the 50,000 KM service at Honda (after

Please do post here if you think of any other ideas!
Did you clean the IACV? That's what controls the idling!
Did HASS also tune/time the car again?

I don't know how much this will make, but change filter to stock and check if there is ANY difference.
Old 14th November 2009, 16:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Did you clean the IACV? That's what controls the idling!
Did HASS also tune/time the car again?

I don't know how much this will make, but change filter to stock and check if there is ANY difference.
Hi ankitahuja

I don't think HASS cleaned IACV. I will contact them tomorrow and see. Can you post a photo of where the IACV is located in the OHC. Is it safe to open and clean it?

Regarding the tune up, Honda guys did a major tune up, i.e setting the engine valve, cleaning injectors, TB, Distributor etc. As regards to timing, they checked the car during 50,000 service and told me that timing is all right, no need to do anything.

Let me explain my present problem in a bit more detail:
* As discussed before, Idle is at 1000 RPM
* When I race the engine, the RPM goes up and upon releasing the accelerator, the RPM comes down only slowly and goes up again, without me pressing the accelerator (!)

The interesting thing to note is that when the car was completely stock (no K&N Filter, no FFE), the idling speed was spot on (at 800 RPM). So I will try your suggestion of trying the OEM Honda Filter.
Old 14th November 2009, 17:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
I don't think HASS cleaned IACV. I will contact them tomorrow and see. Can you post a photo of where the IACV is located in the OHC. Is it safe to open and clean it?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1564526

On the intake manifold, so should be quite visible after the air filter is removed.
Old 15th November 2009, 15:54   #26
BHPian

Called up the HASS Service Engineer and he confirmed that they had cleaned the IACV as part of the 50,000KM service..... another dead end!!
Old 18th November 2009, 18:38   #27
BHPian

There should be a way of checking the sensors. Do not depend on the warning light. I remember that the oil warning light came on in our '96 M800. We gave it to a local guy to check for the problem. When he finished the light was not on anymore. Later, it was found that SOB disconnected the bulb from the Dash. I felt like killing him.
Old 21st November 2009, 16:37   #28
BHPian

Got in Touch with Automech and they had this to say:

Quote:
Dear Mr.xxxxx

This should not be happening, as it is not related to the exhaust, it is all concerned with the ECU, the unit which controls engine function. It is just coincidental that it is happening after the exhaust has been fitted. In some cars, this feature has been included to prevent vehicle jerking on leaving the accelerator. This might be more noticeable after fitting the exhaust because the throttle response will have improved.
Best regards
Vivek Bhat
Guys, I have been thinking about this problem and will a tune up by an experienced tuning house (ex leela autos etc) solve this problem?? HASS, I suspect only knows how to tune stock cars....
Old 21st November 2009, 17:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Is the IAT sensor in the right place? It should be plugged into the intake pipe. Is the CEL still on? Can you please repeat what problem you are actually having now? The 2 pages have managed to confuse me, sorry!
Old 24th November 2009, 17:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Is the IAT sensor in the right place? It should be plugged into the intake pipe. Is the CEL still on? Can you please repeat what problem you are actually having now? The 2 pages have managed to confuse me, sorry!
Hi pranavt IAT Sensor is correctly placed. As per your request, posting step by step description of the problem from the beginning once more, I also think that this has become confusing after 2 pages of discussion :
  • I installed a free flow exhaust from automech on my Honda City Type II Automatic. I ordered the exhaust from Mumbai and got it installed from my Honda Dealer in Cochin.
  • My car was stock condition before the installation of the exhaust, except for a K&N replacement filter I installed about a year ago.
  • But after the installation, my idling RPM went up to 1500 RPM (from 700 RPM, which was the normal idle of my car) The Honda guys checked everything (sensors etc) but could did not find any problem.
  • They waited for a day and idle RPM went down to 1000 RPM. I took delivery of the car and the service engineer advised me to drive the car for 2-3 days and see if the problem disappears and asked me to return if the problem is not fixed by then..
  • The Check Engine warning light stayed on in my dashboard.
  • My Honda Dealer confirmed that my O2 sensor needed replacement, as it was found to be faulty after a hi-scan.
  • I replaced the O2 Sensor and the CEL Light has turned off. But the idle RPM stays the same (1000 RPM)!! ECU was reset by Honda mechanics after replacing the O2 sensor
  • Here is what was done at 50,000 KM service at honda

* Installed Automech Freeflow system (Headers & Exhaust)
    * TB was cleaned and checked during the 50,000 KM service at Honda (after the FFE was fitted)
    * Injectors and Plugs were cleaned by them
    * Cleaned IACV as part of the 50,000 KM service

TBH Honda guys are baffled by this problem -- they have tried everything they could possibly think of.
  • This is the present situation with my car:

* As discussed before, Idle is at 1000 RPM
    * When I race the engine, the RPM goes up and upon releasing the accelerator, the RPM comes down only slowly and goes up again, without me pressing the accelerator (!)
  • and BTW apart from this idling problem, the car is running perfectly - FFE has caused a marked improvement in sound and performance (esp. pulling in the lower RPMs) If this idling niggle is solved, the car will be 100% perfect.

I can take a video if you want, just inform me.

oh and forgot to mention that fellow BHPian shailu called me regarding the RPM drop (read the beginning of this thread) and he confirmed that it was normal (it was also pointed out by Ravveendrra and others). Thanks mates!

Oh, and Mods, can you please change the title of the thread to something like : "Honda City Type II A/T Idling at 1000 RPM"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks