Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 14:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian1979 View Post
Normally in Europe they don't mod the engines on the MK3 Astra, they swap it with a Vectra.

Visit MK3OC - Vauxhall Mk3 Astra Owners Club to see various guides for mods as well as many members car dairies with detailed swap guide.

I have two Astras in my stable one 2002 one 2003 both have x16ne engines.
Haven't been able to locate these engines being sold in any other market except India. It produces 96.5 bhp and have touched 190 kmph top speed on both. Acceleration is nothing to boast about but ride high speeds is beautiful.

I have toyed tremendously about modding one of these cars but after months of research just can't find the justification, unless you are ready to spend atleast 3-4 Lakhs and then too an OHC with the same amount spent on mods will run rings around it.

It's just not worth it!
Your is the later version with MPFI, that produced 96 BHP.different block from the earlier models. I think, not sure though, the company changed the engine number too with introduction of the MPFI version.
Old 7th May 2009, 17:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque350 View Post
So let me ask you one simple question. Shall I go ahead with the "Astra Project".
Simple answer from earlier post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian1979 View Post
It's just not worth it!
Old 8th May 2009, 10:16   #33

@Indian1979 - Ha ha I love that "simple" answer.

Well we are through with our research and parts are way too rare and expensive. It really does not make any sense anymore. Our stock of enthusiasm, determination and patience are slowly running out! Guess we will abort this project soon. Will update you guys about that. Thanks a lot for all the replies. Cheers!
Old 8th May 2009, 11:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think all that enthusiasm, determination and patience is better used on a car that is more receptive to mods. We all love our first cars (or hell, all our cars) and your friend's want and need is perfectly understandable. But there is a point where reality makes a rude entrance into your dreams and ruins it all.

My suggestion to your friend is let the old girl go and get himself a Lancer or OHC and do it up for a screamer of a car.
Old 11th May 2009, 08:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post

My corsa apparently has 16v X14NE engine in it. I cant find any info about it on google or any other search engine ! I desprately wanted an imgage search, just to check which other country got this engine.
I am terribly disappointed and feel like a fool ! Its been in my head for some reason that my 2003 corsa 1.4gsi is a 16v car. Now I see in the description section of the galleries on this forum , a lot of users have said 8v.

I really dont know why I came to think that it had 16v !

Ps. I have written to GMI , asking them for technical specifications on the engine. Ha ha ha
Old 19th May 2009, 18:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The corsa engine has 16Valves not the Astra. That why it produced 77 PS from 1.6L engine. By the way it's the 16NZR engine in ASTRA. the compression of 8.8:1 was good for turbocharging, but as I said not worth the effort, unless you can get a 16V head for the engine.
Hi pal, are you sure that corsa's in India have 16v. A lot of fellow users, have said 8v in their gallery description. I cant find much information on google, the engine being x14ne .

I wrote to GMI asking for a clarification and they have directed me to A S S to get all my querries answered !

So, could you kindly confirm if the 1.4 Corsa's in India are 8v or 16v once again. Thanks

Last edited by vdiatech : 19th May 2009 at 18:22.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hi pal, are you sure that corsa's in India have 16v. A lot of fellow users, have said 8v in their gallery description. I cant find much information on google, the engine being x14ne .

Hi buddy. All the Corsas in India came with 8V. There's been no 16v head for the Corsa. See my gallery for reference.
Old 20th May 2009, 12:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

simply waste of time , parts issues, too heavy for performance mods, no support from company dealers...

Very odd size wheel PCD , u can't get perfect wheels

But a rock solid and a comfortable car!!

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 20th May 2009 at 12:18.
Old 20th May 2009, 19:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I wrote to GMI asking for a clarification and they have directed me to A S S to get all my querries answered !

So, could you kindly confirm if the 1.4 Corsa's in India are 8v or 16v once again. Thanks
Sorry typing misstake, the corsa had 8v head on both 1.4 as well as 1.6L.
Old 20th May 2009, 22:36   #40
BHPian

Thanks for confirming that Corsa is 8v.

Now, can some one please help me with this.

1. What is the difference in actual performance between 8v and 16v cars with respect to low end and top end speeds , torque

2. If I got a 16v engine head imported, would it sit on the Indian Corsa and would that improve the performance ? ( The cost of the head and freight are not an issue)

Thanks
Old 21st May 2009, 10:23   #41
BHPian

well the power difference might not be immense, you can say an improvement on around 10 bhp max. it would rather help in improvised air and fuel flow. so if you go for additional performance mods, the resultant advantage will be more than in the case of an 8v engine.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that Corsa is 8v.

Now, can some one please help me with this.

1. What is the difference in actual performance between 8v and 16v cars with respect to low end and top end speeds , torque

2. If I got a 16v engine head imported, would it sit on the Indian Corsa and would that improve the performance ? ( The cost of the head and freight are not an issue)

Thanks
A 16v head improve the volumetric efficiency of the engine, the power output increace depends on how you tune the engine, the 1.3 esteem had jump of 20bhps from 8v to16v with EFI setup. since the corsa has EFI , the jump could be around 10-15 bhps again based on tuning. as for cost and compatibility with indian engines, you'll have to search the net for all that.
Old 14th June 2009, 09:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Sorry typing misstake, the corsa had 8v head on both 1.4 as well as 1.6L.
hi, now to add further confusion, please check this website, that says, corsa has 4valves per cyliner !

Compare Opel Corsa Sail 1.4 vs Toyota Camry M/T | Car Summary

another classic example of how misleading some websites could be.

Ps: also why would some one want to compare a corsa with camry ?

Most Viewed