Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 08:17   #1
BHPian

Worldspace In Swift

Let us discuss this in this forum for more clarity and helping handing from relevant team members. This is in follow up to my earlier thread of knowing how to remove an antenna from swift. Details can be found in the link below;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...a-swift-2.html

I have set out to get a worldspace installed in my Swift ZXI.

Hardware:
1. Worldspace receiver (https://www.worldspace.in/Shop.asp)
2. JAST vehicle antenna for world space receiver (Jast | WorldSpace Vehicular Antenna)
3 Integrating with OE Stereo
Option – 1 : Wireless FM transmitter (Wireless FM Transmitter For Mp3 Players /Ipods /Mp4 - Buy 1 Get 1 Free gifts in india at rediff shopping)
Option – 2 : Find a suitable method to connect AUX OUT cable from Worldspace to AUX IN socket in Integrated Stereo system in SWIFT ZXI

Method & location in car for Installation:
In swift there is this location in dashboard where there is a digital clock located.
1. I will be buying this plastic part (The clock console) of the dashboard which would cost about Rs. 500.
2.Try integrating worldspace display into this plastic part.
3. Power/Antenna/Aux cable to be integrated to their respective locations.
Concerns
As of now I see Two issues ,
1. How do I connect the AUX cable from Worldspace to the integrated audio system without the cable being visible outside? (this is if
the option of not using FM transmitter)
2. Theft of the antenna, not that anybody can do anything with just the external antenna as the additional hardware which comes
along with the antenna will be placed under the dashboard.

Power Source
Since worldspace receiver/antenna needs only 9-12V this can be connected to one of the cars power source.

External Antenna
Cable will be pulled from the base of the existing external radio antenna.

Trial Process
1. I have placed order for the JAST worldspace antenna and hope to have it with me by 2nd week of May.
2. Once I have that, I would do a trial run with my existing worldspace receiver (BPL DIVA) this is to see if the indeed the antenna works.
3. If any team member has a current worldspace receiver which in a beyond repair state (note the current worldspace receiver is small in
size) (https://www.worldspace.in/Shop.asp), I would greatly appreciate if it can be send to me/given to me. The idea is to disassemble and see
how it can be integrated to the clock console.
4. I need big time helping hand how to connect up the wire. I will need a professionals help here, if any member know of an individual who could
help me with the wiring for my SWIFT ZXI it would be of great help.

a. Concealed wiring from antenna to the world space receiver
b. Wiring from the power source for the worldspace receiver
c. Concealed Wiring for AUX OUT of worldspace receiver to the AUX IN of integrated audio system

Alternative
I am aware that I can also do this all by myself, the steps are detailed below;

JAST Worldspace External antenna wire can be pulled beneath the existing radio antenna

Worldspace receiver can be put in the boot/rear parcel shelf
1.Power source is available in the boot of SWIFT ZXI (BUY power adapter)
2. Use FM Transmitter to broadcast the signal from worldspace receiver
3. Tune the integrated FM stereo to capture the FM transmitter signal.

Will appreicate constructive ideas
Attached Thumbnails
Worldspace In Swift-antenna.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf JAS_WS-MAC-1_v11.pdf (281.2 KB, 819 views)

Last edited by ajitsank : 3rd May 2009 at 08:32.
Old 3rd May 2009, 08:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ajit :
1. Why a separate thread for this now ?
2. Do not copy-paste into threads : it leaves a trail of font formatting.
Old 3rd May 2009, 08:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Ajit :
1. Why a separate thread for this now ?
2. Do not copy-paste into threads : it leaves a trail of font formatting.

1. What I set out to achieve in the earlier thread has been achieved. (ie; removing an antenna)
2. Yes i have corrected the "formatting quotes"
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey ajit,

how much did the antenna cost you and from where? cos i dont see any order form on the website.

woud have suggested you to integrate the diva reciever in a din slot, but since you have the oe system, i guess thats not poss. havent seen the zxi oe system, by any chance does it have any empty din slot or is it the same as in the swift desire?

also what kind of aux in does the oe system have? is it a head phone jack? if so, a simple mx cable having the regular white and red pins on one side and a headphone pin on the other side should solve it.

wouldnt suggest the fm transmitter as the clarity wouldnt be so great and there would be loads of disturbances from external sources.

EDIT: just saw the details of the antenna in your previous thread, but i guess you should post up all the details here also for convience sake for the people viewing this thread.

Last edited by aadix : 3rd May 2009 at 14:18.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hey ajit,

how much did the antenna cost you and from where? cos i dont see any order form on the website.

woud have suggested you to integrate the diva reciever in a din slot, but since you have the oe system, i guess thats not poss. havent seen the zxi oe system, by any chance does it have any empty din slot or is it the same as in the swift desire?

also what kind of aux in does the oe system have? is it a head phone jack? if so, a simple mx cable having the regular white and red pins on one side and a headphone pin on the other side should solve it.

wouldnt suggest the fm transmitter as the clarity wouldnt be so great and there would be loads of disturbances from external sources.

EDIT: just saw the details of the antenna in your previous thread, but i guess you should post up all the details here also for convience sake for the people viewing this thread.

Cost of JAST Antenna : EUR 69

Manufactured by : JAST
Sales : ferdinando.tiezzi@jast.ch
Brochure: Attached

In SWIFT ZXI the AUX IN is similar to the headphone jack/MIC JACK, there is no DIN Slot and the complete area is occupied for the OE stereo. There is a small place near the gear lever. But then there will be lot of wires hanging arround if the worldspace reciever is kept there.

Last edited by ajitsank : 3rd May 2009 at 21:06.
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:23   #6
BHPian

I'm not sure if world space will work in car properly, reason being that the antenna/receiver always needs to point at a certain direction which will not be possible in a mobile vehicle. I had a world space setup at home and if I change the direction of the antenna, it would lose the signal and not work effectively.

This is what they have mentioned on their website-
"The current line of WorldSpace receivers is not designed for in-car use. However, we have heard of positive cases from receiver owners who have secured the receiver antenna on their dashboard and have been able to pick up reception. In areas where there are few obstructions such a tall buildings or trees, you should be able to maintain line of sight with the satellite while in motion."
Old 4th May 2009, 10:02   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
I have set out to get a worldspace installed in my Swift ZXI.
I don't mean to dampen your spirit, but this is a terrible idea:

1. We have (rather had) worldspace in my office. I stopped using it because they play the same songs all day. It came to a point where we even knew the sequence of english songs on the pop channels. I found their music library woefully limited and would much rather listen to regular FM radio (or the ones on the internet).

2. VERY sensitive to weather + antenna positioning. My office is in south mumbai and a friends hair salon on matunga. He get's far more channels than I do. Worldspaces response "You had bad signal". Heck, I am a stones throw away from Marine Drive!

If you really want good music in your swift, get an iPod and load it up with your choice of albums.
Old 4th May 2009, 10:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't mean to dampen your spirit, but this is a terrible idea:

1. We have (rather had) worldspace in my office. I stopped using it because they play the same songs all day. It came to a point where we even knew the sequence of english songs on the pop channels. I found their music library woefully limited and would much rather listen to regular FM radio (or the ones on the internet).

2. VERY sensitive to weather + antenna positioning. My office is in south mumbai and a friends hair salon on matunga. He get's far more channels than I do. Worldspaces response "You had bad signal". Heck, I am a stones throw away from Marine Drive!

If you really want good music in your swift, get an iPod and load it up with your choice of albums.

Yup i have ipod too, loaded with 15GB of songs. But not getting enough of it. (I mean the "GENRE" & language)

I hope this antenna is not sensitive to weather and postioning. If so then it would be failure by all means.

I stay in a crowded area, never once have i ever had a loss of signal (weather or otherwise). I have had loss of signal only when somebody changes the position of the patch antenna.

I have been having Worldspace since early 2006, though till 2007 there was repeat of songs, off late i have found there are less repeat of songs in a day. I must admit the worldspace is not ON 24hours a day.

Last edited by ajitsank : 4th May 2009 at 10:16.
Old 18th May 2009, 09:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am not too sure about the car antenna, but the regular antenna we use at home is extremely sensitive and needs a direct and clear vision to the satellite.

Believe me, even as much as a few pigeons pass over, the reception breaks. Hope this is rectified in the car ant^ though, else as you said it would be a flop
Old 19th May 2009, 14:21   #10
BHPian

Alright couple of days back I recieved the JAST antenna from Switzerland.
Today was the first trial run with my existing DIVA worldspace receiver, I must tell that I am disappointed.

There is considerable loss of signal, not sure if it has to do with the way I have mounted the antenna. I have written to the manufacturer as to the loss of signal. Will await their reply.

I have been doing trial run in conjusted locality, do not know if that could be one of the problem, or the manufacturer did not design it for our conditions (i mean population, buildings, no space for clear sky)

When signal is there, the clarity is good and it works irrelvant of which direction the car travels, i have connected to OE head unit AUX IN.

Will do a trial run couple more times with the antenna to try and find out if this can be sorted.
Old 19th May 2009, 14:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

OT - I thought Worldspace has declared bankruptcy? If that is the case, how will the service continuity be assured?

Most Viewed