Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 12:55   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

VTEC has only 1 cam but 2 cam profiles (only for the intake valves). The benefit of moding a VTEC is that you can have a very aggressive profile for higher rpms without sacrificing low end driveability and FE.

Shan2nu
Oh yes SINGLE cam but two cam PROFILES. Thanks for the correction So is it possible to change only the higher rev cam profile so that the VTec functions as stock in low revs and more powerful in high revs?
Old 13th May 2009, 12:58   #77
Senior - BHPian

Well shall wait for RD to answer this.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rishi, I know how the Vtec works. But when you go for an aftermarket cam for eg a 300 deg+ on the secondary profile, how low can the primary cam profile be setup for? I am assuming that as the secondary profile gets more wilder and wilder, accordingly the primary profile would also see a change while the cam is being built? Or do cam manufac's keep the primary stock and just change the VTEC profile? Since I have no hands on experience ordering VTEC cams I am just curious to know.
The primary cam will also increase over stock but i think Rishi was talking relatively.

But technically speaking, it should be possible to run stock primary profile along with performance 2ndry profile (if you can get a custom cam made). Only draw back will be that at low revvs, your acceleration will only be as good as a stock car. But this will give you awesome economy compared to a non vtec engine running the same high performance cam.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 13th May 2009 at 14:03.
Old 13th May 2009, 14:52   #79
Senior - BHPian

@ RD - Excellent job on the Wolf-NA-Vtec. Heard so much about this car and seen it at a meet.

I did not know you did engine work apart from the RD-ECUs.
Could you please ping me garage details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
No NA Indian car has officially broken into 14s in a quat mile, hoping to stamp that position this month in mumbai. Prayers guys...

@Flyingspur: The whip lash at launch is a rare feeling in Indian cars, here's one...
Wish you all the best as the Mumbai drag. Additional Prayers only, I get to feel that Whiplash effect at the next meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
In fact, the quickest single-cam Honda in the world is a non-VTEC.
Eh?, isnt a Non-Vtec Honda a Single Cam Honda?
Did you mean the Quickest Honda in the World is a non-VTEC/SOHC?
Old 13th May 2009, 15:12   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
You have DOHC honda's as well, but the ones sold in India are all SOHC. But what Rishi was trying to say is that the fastest SOHC honda is a non-vtec.
Old 13th May 2009, 16:47   #81
Senior - BHPian

Iceman/Mclaren: Let me clarify... Yes, the VTEC performance cam has a slightly better profile (timing &/or lift) on the primaries as well however only very slightly advanced in comparison to the stock ones for very serious reasons;
1. Too big on primaries coupled with enlarged intake ports and bigger TB (recommended for hot cams), serious drop in low to mid power, idling problems etc. Non-VTEC sohc performance cams suffer from this syndrome coz they just have one profile, hence driveability issues and poor economy too.
2. Too small or close to stock primaries, the bottom end will be great however the switch over from primaries to secondaries(VTEC lobes) will be violent, which is not really an hinderance in outright racing but a beating on the daily driveability aspect again!

The VTEC performance cam makers ensure that the cam is streetable to a very large extent however custom grinds like mine can be exaggerated into being ridiculous at bottom end but whoppers as the rpms gain...

Hope that clarifies...

Ironwolf: anything for prayers ;-). PM me for address if you havent got it yet!

BTW, the fastest honda in the world is the AEM honda driven by Steven Papadakis. The car falls in the outlaw class, uses NSX Acura mill which is DOHC VTEC. This car has the fastest pass for a honda till date-6.75sec in a 1/4th mile run.

Taste:

Last edited by The Wolf : 13th May 2009 at 16:58.
The Wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2009, 17:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Ritesh.
That does clear it up a bit
iceman91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2009, 22:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have DOHC honda's as well, but the ones sold in India are all SOHC.
The 2.4 ltr engines in the Accord and C-rv are DOHC.

Honda Accord

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 13th May 2009 at 22:12.
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2009, 22:32   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Sorry. I meant world's quickest NA Honda is a non-VTEC.

Quote:

BTW, the fastest honda in the world is the AEM honda driven by Steven Papadakis. The car falls in the outlaw class, uses NSX Acura mill which is DOHC VTEC. This car has the fastest pass for a honda till date-6.75sec in a 1/4th mile run.
Yeah thats world's quickest Honda, the AEM Civic (?!) powered by the C32 motor out of an NSX driving the rear wheels hence falls in the Pro-RWD category. Putting out close to 1800+ horses and driven by the big Papa, its quickest pass till date is 6.52 seconds in testing, here's the vid.

Old 13th May 2009, 22:42   #85
BANNED

Quote:
The 2.4 ltr engines in the Accord and C-rv are DOHC.

Honda Accord

Shan2nu
Yes, Shan I am aware of that. Since the discussion here was about OHC I was just referring to the OHC's sold in india being SOHC's only.

Wolf, how about listing out the order in which all the mods went, your reactions after each mod, issues that you faced, how was the analysis and subsequent troubleshooting done. This comprehensive list could help many people out here set out to mod their OHC's.
Old 14th May 2009, 00:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Sorry. I meant world's quickest NA Honda is a non-VTEC.
Yup thats what I thought. thanks for clarifying. makes sense.

Quote:
The VTEC performance cam makers ensure that the cam is streetable to a very large extent however custom grinds like mine can be exaggerated into being ridiculous at bottom end but whoppers as the rpms gain...

Hope that clarifies...

Ironwolf: anything for prayers ;-). PM me for address if you havent got it yet!
Yes, it clarifies however noobs to mad mods, like me need to read this 3-4 times to decipher what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Wolf, how about listing out the order in which all the mods went, your reactions after each mod, issues that you faced, how was the analysis and subsequent troubleshooting done. This comprehensive list could help many people out here set out to mod their OHC's.
Mcl, thats a neat suggestion. Ritesh, how about giving us some of the thought processes, which went into these mods. How RD helped clarify, etc?
Old 14th May 2009, 01:47   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Shan I am aware of that. Since the discussion here was about OHC I was just referring to the OHC's sold in india being SOHC's only.
There are DOHC Honda Citys' also? I didn't know that.

Shan2nu
Old 14th May 2009, 01:49   #88
BANNED

Quote:
There are DOHC Honda Citys' also? I didn't know that.

Shan2nu
Hunh? When did I say that?
Old 14th May 2009, 01:56   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hunh? When did I say that?
First you said - "You have DOHC honda's as well, but the ones sold in India are all SOHC."

Then when i pointed out the 2.4L DOHC, you said - "Yes, Shan I am aware of that. Since the discussion here was about OHC I was just referring to the OHC's sold in india being SOHC's only."

So since you were only refering to OHCs, i was wondering what you meant by "There are DOHC Hondas' but the ones sold here are all SOHCs".

Shan2nu
Old 14th May 2009, 02:01   #90
BANNED

I meant Honda makes DOHC engines as well. But since here we are talking about just the OHC, these sold in India only come with the SOHC. Don't know what was so confusing about it?

Most Viewed