Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2005, 22:47   #16
BANNED

yea since i love convertibles a lot i used to think about doing the same to my car. aint happenin though. get a san storm. i really like that car for the price. get it and work on it should be nice
Old 2nd June 2005, 09:23   #17
BHPian

Well one i saw a convertable TATA SIERRA in HYDERABD...
Old 2nd June 2005, 09:28   #18
BHPian

well i had a 1951 low bonnet Willys jeep...
it was the best car i had...
nothing to worry where you are parking it or driving over anything...
still miss it...
Old 2nd June 2005, 10:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

hmmmmmm,
Revvmaster's idea seems quite good.
Regd the san storm, I doubt if i'll get any 2nd hand...not seeing any first hand in city at all :-)
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
hmmmmmm,
Revvmaster's idea seems quite good.
Regd the san storm, I doubt if i'll get any 2nd hand...not seeing any first hand in city at all :-)
Goa seems to have quite a few of these, but it could be San motors employees taking them out for a spin...

While on the subject of getting cheap second hand cars, have you ever thought of getting a nice 2nd hand Contessa - that is one car that will look great as a convertible because the windshield rake looks just right, and if I'm not mistaken its a body-on-chassis and not a monocoque construction - that could mean that changes to the body are easier and are less likely to compromise rigidity...

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd June 2005 at 11:48.
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:48   #21
Team-BHP Support

Best option is to get yourself a Gypsy King! The joys of open air motoring combined with the ruggedness of a mini-SUV. Plus, its way more appealing than converting a Matiz or Cielo to a convertible or god-forbid, actually buying a San Storm!

India is not a country that encourages open top motoring though. Maybe the occasional drive down the ECR (seeing that you are from Chennai), but the traffic, heat, dust and grime in the city would take the joy out of that. Plus, our terrible roads tend to age convertible's much faster as their body was just not made to take the beating our roads dish out (excluding the Gypsy).
Old 2nd June 2005, 22:32   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Regd the san storm, I doubt if i'll get any 2nd hand...not seeing any first hand in city at all
There is one for sale at a price of Rs. 3.5L i guess its 2003 model and logged 29K.. if you want number PM me.. came in this last fridays Times drive. Why dont you get a 2nd hand Zen Carbon or Steel and then remove the top it already has 3 doors(2 + 1) will look very nice indeed..
Old 2nd June 2005, 22:44   #23
BANNED

i agree with montoya.going for a second hand carbon or steel zen is a very good idea indeed.it already has 3 doors n a convertible zen with original 3 door structure will look amazing.just remember one thing,just dont go forany kind of mods with the headlights coz it`ll look very moronic.just add a body kit with sum cool fiber made tail lamps,sum cool 15 inchers in hard chrome and a lil` bit`o graphics if u want.thats it,ur lil killa ride is ready to rock the city
Old 2nd June 2005, 22:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister
i agree with montoya.going for a second hand carbon or steel zen is a very good idea indeed.it already has 3 doors n a convertible zen with original 3 door structure will look amazing.just remember one thing
Get a Zen Carbon and put a panoramic sunroof on it. (Like the C class sport coupe). Thats halfway there.

Or else, just buy an old Miata.....should be able to find one for 5L.
Old 2nd June 2005, 23:10   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Get a Zen Carbon and put a panoramic sunroof on it. (Like the C class sport coupe). Thats halfway there.

dude thats a good idea,butttttttttttt,a convertible is a convertible.u cant compare it with a sunroof
Old 7th June 2005, 02:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dude thats a good idea,butttttttttttt,a convertible is a convertible.u cant compare it with a sunroof
Am with you on that one dude. saw a 1968 classic peugeot 404 convertible with a pininfarina body cruising past on the kings circle road. Must admit it was in spanking condition. know of only one in bombay and maybe in india too. great lookin car. heard it was for sale for 4 lacs odd.
Old 7th June 2005, 04:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree, its more like a targa top. Even a gypsy cant be called a convertible then because its has the window frame etc.
Old 7th June 2005, 06:37   #28
BANNED

Vivek,
Why dont you get a Webasto Panoramic sunroof. There is also a fabric sunroof from Webasto. I am not sure about the prices, but Business Today has ads all the time. With all windows rolled down, and sun roof rolled back all the way, it is pretty much a convertible.

I had a Mustang convertible for 3 years, and I grew over the initial convertible crush in a year. Although the top was powered, you get tired of the road noise and the wind. You need to adjust the music all the time, when you are on the freeway, you need it to be loud, when you stop at a stop light, it grabs too much attention. That said, convertible grabs a lot of attention, it is a lifestyle statement, statement of being free, and open. If I could have a different car for the weekend - it would be a convertible, but not for commuting to work.

Oh I miss my mustang already..... actually I sold it because you cannot have an infant at the back seat with all the wind and the noise
-Prasadee

Last edited by prasadee : 7th June 2005 at 06:43.
Old 7th June 2005, 11:39   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vivek

1. Dont chop the roof off an existing car, whether it is a Santro or any other. Manufacturers spend millions of $$$ perfecting chassis balance. For a regular sedan or hatch, the front and rear ends are meant to be connected by the top and the bottom. If you chop the top off, there goes your balance. The car will be extremely - and I mean extremely - dangerous to drive, not to mention squeaks and rattles will become an annoying daily affair

2. The best solution for you is to go for an "original" convertible. Options are second hand Mazda Miatas which are cheap and a dime a dozen. Relatively, more practical options would be a Maruti Gypsy or a Mahindra classic - if you can handle the rough nature of Jeeps.

Trust me, the initial charm of open top motoring will wear off after a couple of days under the Indian sun, pollution and dust. Make sure you have a good soft-top and a powerful air-conditioner in whichever car you opt for.

My Jeep sees open top motoring only from December - February. And yes, no one really expects an open Jeep to have a stereo or misc stuff around. I have had a stereo flicked from my Lancer (with an auto cop and all), yet my Jeep which was parked by its side with a CD player and no doors was left untouched.

GTO
Old 7th June 2005, 13:32   #30
BHPian

I Agree with GTO...
jeep is the best convertible...
i had a 1952 low Bonnet Willys Jeep...
i had it for 9 years from which i drove it for 7 years...
i use to be always with the Hood off...
it was FUN...
i rember my jeep when ever i see GTO's jeep pic..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks