Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 00:47   #1
BHPian

Subaru Impreza vs Nissan Skyline, which is better to modify?

These two vehicles are considered JDM supercars when properly modified; Skyline and Impreza. Both feature turbo charged engines, and all wheel drive. However, the Skyline is slightly bigger but also features a larger engine. The two below are older versions of both vehicles, will we see a modernized version of this race? How do you think the race will look compared to the older versions in the article below?

Full article: Impreza vs Skyline

Additional information:
The Impreza uses rally spec 1995 cc (2.0 liter) or upgraded STi 2.5 liter horizontally oppossed "boxer" engine. This engine is rumored to be derived design of the Nakajimi Aircraft Company and is found swapped into modern light aircraft around the world. Some tuners prefer the 2.0 and some prefer the 2.5, when properly modified both can achieve upwards of 800 hp.

The Skyline features an inline six cylinder engine that is notorious for large amounts of torque. It's original design dates back to Nissan Z heritage and is widely known around the world for top speed. When properly modified, the Skyline can achieve upwards of 1000 hp.

My question is which one is better to modify? The Impreza heritage of aircraft engine design tells me it can handle high rpm's for a long time. But the power of Skyline is impressive, but I'm unsure about longevity of parts because inline six is subject to piston slap at higher RPM. This is a really tough decision to make, help! Any input appreciated!
Old 14th May 2009, 05:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Budget and usage would be a key factor. Also how extreme do you wish to mod.
My personal blind choice : Skyline.

Last edited by dipen : 14th May 2009 at 05:35.
Old 14th May 2009, 06:02   #3
BHPian

So your thinking of buying a Skyline?
When your tuning a car the sky is the limit, and the key question is what do you want to do with the car? I prefer the WRX’s all wheel drive system and its rally like handling because thats how I like going round corners. But with tuners, drifters and import racers the Skyline R34 is the undisputed favourite. If I had to buy a tuner I’d get a Skyline, mainly because of it’s simple N/S mounted in-line six configuration. There is ample room for more stuff in the engine bay like a bigger turbo or another intercooler, not like you’d need one though. There are heaps more aftermarket parts available for Nissans, the Skyline’s transmission, driveline and differential can take a lot more punishment and can handle quite a bit of power.
Old 14th May 2009, 06:22   #4
BHPian

Those are good posts dipen and gasolinejunkie. I agree with both of you, it's about what the driver intends on doing. In a way, it's almost unfair to compare the two even though they are typically assimilated with one another. They both serve different driving styles.

I do like the idea of the inline six cylinder because the short path of travel of air from turbo to combustion chamber. The horizontally opposed engine takes a little more travel distance to get from turbo to combustion chamber. However, the light weight of the WRX and the handling is superb.

Is there any other footage of Skylines or Imprezas that can help us make this decision?
Old 14th May 2009, 09:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

google impreza and gymkhana together, that video is an eyeopener fro subaru fans
Old 14th May 2009, 14:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
google impreza and gymkhana together, that video is an eyeopener fro subaru fans
Damn! I want that car! .... No wait I want that Airfield!
Old 14th May 2009, 14:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Nevermind both!
I want those SKILLS!
Old 15th May 2009, 00:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
You’ll need an oilfield as well
Old 15th May 2009, 01:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoloseven View Post
My question is which one is better to modify?
So is this a rhetorical question or a trick one?

In the first place, you're on the wrong forum. You can count the number of people who own, let alone tune, ONE of these cars on this forum, and have fingers left. So even those who own one of them have no frame of reference.

Your best bet is to ask on NASIOC and NAGTROC forums.

My personal opinion is Impreza. Not for any performance reason, just because of its abundant availability in the US and VAST aftermarket, thus ensuring cheap supply of parts.

And, if you think you can drive either one with any semblance of sanity anywhere outside of a drag-strip, you're kidding yourself. 800 and 1000 hp is a joke in the sense that you cant really use it anywhere.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 15th May 2009 at 01:34.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:32   #10

I know I'm a nube on this forum but if it were my choice definetly the Subaru.
My uncle owns a white JDM sti and he has done extensive mods after an engine swap.
Even though i drool when i think about having a 600hp R34, the simple fact of the matter is the subaru is less of a track car and more suited to the Indian road condition + if something chanced to go wrong with the GTR ur hosed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks