Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 16:46   #1
BHPian

Skoda vRS clutch upgrade SPEC stage2+

Hi fellas,
Just got my vRS clutch assembly replaced with a SPEC stage 2+ , the car has run about 600kms after replacement . The clutch was replaced at 52,000 kms primarily due to a harder pedal feel plus had the car modded to 220 bhp . Had no evident problems with the clutch like slippage , but on removal and inspection of the old clutch seemed to a prudent decision as not much left there. Don't know if it was due to some hard driving on the expressway after the mods as it is diffcult not to redline the car after the mods. The Flywheel too was renewed with a DM flywheel
The clutch after replacement was not very friendly as had to manipulate it and engine revs to take care of the significant shuddering . But as the car has run in the shuddering has reduced significantly and am told it will completely disappear by 1000 kms. The pedal feel is light and the release too is getting smoother.
Has anybody used a SPEC clutch?
Any tips on the proper run in for the after market clutches would be appreciated.
cheers

FZ
Old 15th May 2009, 17:23   #2
BHPian

hey zappa , pls provide some details regarding prices, ( atleast rough/ indicative) and also from where you bought it and who did the fitting?
my car has done 57k kms , so i might have to consider a new clutch in the future., it will be helpful.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice upgrade!!

How does the clutch perform in traffic conditions?? AFAIK performance clutch's are difficult to use in stop-go conditions, correct me if im wrong here.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Karthik depends on what clucth you use and the clamping,pressure etc.
I have used a few performance clutches in cars which have no difference in traffic and pedal feels the same
Old 15th May 2009, 20:43   #5
BHPian

Guys,
I had Checked with JMD in mumbai and was told 48K for a new clutch with a Dual Mass flywheel. As per Skoda maintenance procedures the flywheel is renewed at clutch replacements which was confirmed by Peter who has done the mods on my car. I was told that Skoda has a new design for the clutch having a single mass flywheel which is costing 38K plus labour but JMD techs were not too sure if it would fit the RS.
Hence decided to go for a better clutch , needless to say it has cost me more than the OE but better performance and life after the mods. The clutch was supplied by Peter and you can see the specifications of the stage 2+ on the SPEC clutches site which I think was the best compromise between comfort and performance.
Now at 600 kms the clutch is quite good even in stop-go conditions, pedal pressure is as good as the OE though it needs a little manupilation as there still is a little shudder at times which looks like should disappear in a few hundred kms. The clutch was replaced in Mumbai and that was good as I could see the job done rather than leave the car at the mercy of the A.S.S. workshops though I must say that I have had a good experience with JMD at Bhandup.

cheers
FZ
Old 16th May 2009, 15:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Spec Stage 2+ is supposed to hold over 50 kgm of torque. They're one of the few companies that don't publish horsepower ratings for their clutches. I guess it would have been under 50k for the clutch and install.

Do remember not to start driving hard instantly. Let the clutch and DMF bed in for a couple of hundred clicks atleast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks