Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 22:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Good thread and can be used as a reference in the future too,lolz.I feel the baleno would be nice one.Spares are also cheap and generally cheaper to maintain.The second baleno (single owner)is good deal i suppose.And what are the things which are going into it?
You always modded your cars pretty softly and paint and accesories were a major part,what happend this time?
OT-Will try for balenos and cityees buddie.
Old 16th May 2009, 22:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

A dumb question maybe - but with the VTEC won't you immediately have a 15bhp advantage over a EIII Baleno? Will it not need relatively lesser mods to take the OHC VTEC to the level of performance you are targeting?
Old 16th May 2009, 22:33   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Mohit, you can run upto 7psi easily for daily drive. Just change the bolts on the con rods and you are good to go for 10psi. The weakest link in the baleno block is the con rods. Get forged rods and you can hit 1 bar easily. Or just get the G15 block.

If you are looking at a street spec and want to look a little different I would pick a stock looking baleno. Not only is it more torquey, but handles better too. Besides in Bangalore, these days everyone has a fast OHC. You will just be another guy in the crowd.

People like Mohit have exclusivity of having the few fast balenos in town . No mohit?
Old 16th May 2009, 22:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Ram
About the stuff going into it, i guess i could start off by..
1. CAI, FFE
2. Port n Polish
3. RD ECU.... a must
4. Spark plugs, cables
5. Clutch
6. Rims n tires

All of the above excluding the rims would be under 80k i suppose? Now whats next?

Regarding the OHC, arn't more parts readily available for it than the Baleno??

@McLaren
Is there anyone running boosted baleno's reliably in BLR?? Also in case i go FI, who'll do the job?? I don't mind taking it anywhere in the country as long as its perfect (or close to it)

And what kind power increase can i expect from NA and FI.

Last edited by karthik247 : 16th May 2009 at 22:39.
Old 16th May 2009, 22:36   #20
BHPian

woah getting into college with cedia and vRS alerady in your kitty is surely gonna give you lot of attention...expecially from the fairer kinds! good for you mate!
now between OHC and baleno i'd suggest you TD both the cars extensively in stock form and then decide which one would suit your driving style better. Both cars are equally good, baleno has excellent low end torque whereas OHC has addictive high end torque. Baleno should be just like your cedia, good low and mid end response. OHC will be a different experience for you alltogether because of it free and high revving refined engine.
On the comfort side i'd say baleno's front seats are much better then the OHC's. Also suspension wise it seems more taut. I'm not a big fan of OHC's handling but i havent driven baleno hard so cant comment.
Choose OHC only for its engine and high revving experience. For FTD factor and better comfort you can give a shot at baleno.
BTW how about a corolla if you dont mind its handling. I think you can find some 03 models within 4.5L. And we already know how fast corolla is in its stock form. Stage 1 mods will make it even faster.
Old 16th May 2009, 22:36   #21
BANNED

A performance cam is a must. And suspension too.
Old 16th May 2009, 22:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Even if i go NA or FI, ill have to do the list of mods i put up anyways rite.
What i want to know is, do i have to do all the NA mods and then do FI so that i get max performance??

@Ashish..
Corolla is again expensive to up keep.. The reason im getting one of these is they're cheaper to run than the cars i have now.

@McLaren..
Are performance cams readily available for the Baleno?

Last edited by karthik247 : 16th May 2009 at 22:52.
Old 16th May 2009, 23:00   #23
BANNED

The build differs from NA to FI. For eg, the port sizes, cam selection, clutch, ECU etc. Besides if you go NA now you will be wasting money on stuff like headers etc. So take one call and stick to it. Dont say let me go NA first and then move onto FI later on. You will end up nowhere.

Ya, you can get cams for the baleno.
Old 16th May 2009, 23:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

So i guess gettin a Baleno and souping it up seems the best..

But on the forum itself, we have some seriously fast Baleno's and OHC's.. Can the guys who own these cars please comment.
Old 16th May 2009, 23:14   #25
BANNED

For a fast OHC's contact wolf. I doubt there are any fast baleno's apart from Mohit's right now.
Old 16th May 2009, 23:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

And guys, since anyway the car's engine is going to be worked up from scratch, how about getting a 99model Baleno for less than 2L?? That way i can have some more money left for the mods

What say guys?? Need to choose btw the following two..
1. 1999 Model Baleno for under 2L
2. 2006 Model Baleno for 3L

Last edited by karthik247 : 16th May 2009 at 23:28.
Old 16th May 2009, 23:59   #27
BHPian

I'm guessing Karthik is looking forward to the Deccan Quartermile and hence the urgency of having it done by June ?.
Old 17th May 2009, 00:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I'm guessing Karthik is looking forward to the Deccan Quartermile and hence the urgency of having it done by June ?.
Oh it would be great if its ready by then!!! Even though that was not what i was aiming for

Will have to do a before and after dyno run on this one!
Old 17th May 2009, 00:48   #29
BANNED

Karthik, if you aren't into drags it makes no sense to buy a Vtec at 4L odd and spend more money on modding it because this 10-15bhp difference you wont be able to make out unless you put it on a strip or track. Instead you will save a lot more by picking up a baleno. And trust me in city, you don't need top end ala Vtec. A baleno is fun enough unless you are competing in events.

In Bangalore traffic you hardly ever reach 4000 rpm. Infact I never take my car out during the day time unless I have work which needs me to take a car. Prefer travelling by a 2 wheeler. If I do take the car out its only after 11pm and till date the car hasn't left me wanting for more on the street.

Yes, I personally do suggest you do some dyno runs. Or atleast test the car on the Vbox. Its mandatory to know the before and after difference.
Old 17th May 2009, 01:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Lets say i get either the OHC or Baleno for 2.5L. Now with mods worth 2.5L going into the car, which one would give better results. Cuz ultimately thats whats going to matter.

So for Baleno, it seems FI is better while NA seems best for OHC. Now what are the pros/cons of going FI and NA?? This is probably going to be a one time build, whatever mods are possible will be done now. Nothings left for later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks