Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:58   #46
BHPian

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use external picture hosts such as photobucket, imageshack etc. We advise you to read our board rules carefully, before proceeding any further.

@ananth : Thanks for the info and i am definately willing to do the ground work because i dont belive in just blindly spending on stuff that i would'nt even know would work for my needs or not so yours and Mpower's suggestions and inputs would be valued by not only me but most of us here who think alike.

Regarding wheel offset, i think i might have put it in a wrong way but had heard from someone that for people who are fond of absurd wheel width and sizes allignment for them needs to be done in a different way.

If thought logically then you are definately right regarding what strut braces actually do but i have seen MR2s fitted wit ones that hinge in between and seem to be connecting to the sub-frame where the firewall is and this design seems to be more effective. I appologise for not being too technically sound, i am still learning. So will such a design help?
Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 711
Size:  727.4 KB

What other modifications can be done to the chasis to improve handling?

@Jitu I am sorry i forgot that like the Ikon the OHC too does'nt have any camber adjustment but whenever the wheels start protruding outward from the base, does it always mean that the axles are giving up.
And on a separate thread i read that you are trying to source camber adjustment kits, what is their usage then?

Last edited by GTO : 3rd June 2009 at 15:09.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:30   #47
BHPian

Also found out that Lower-Tie Bars are also used to improve handling. These are used for independant suspensions and connect the lower points of the suspensions, but they are different than sway-bars or anti-roll bars. What i could'nt get was that most of the pics on google show them fitted to the rear suspensions only?

Last edited by abhik : 3rd June 2009 at 17:36.
Old 5th June 2009, 12:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Alright, the car has gone for servicing, after which the suspension work is going to be done. The servicing work is being done by Solitaire Honda on which I'll be writing a review today/tomorrow.

Anyways, contacted Four Seasons who are the distributors of Eibach in Mumbai, was given a quote of 14k for the Eibach lowering/stiffer springs which I'm getting within this week (lower than Pedders springs, ha!). New tie-rods, ball joints, etc also coming in. Performance dampers, if available from any other makers apart from Hotbits will be put in soon. Will keep you all updated.
Old 5th June 2009, 14:46   #49
BHPian

@pranavt - Great going there bro!
@ananth @jitu - awaiting your reply!
Old 5th June 2009, 23:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
If thought logically then you are definately right regarding what strut braces actually do but i have seen MR2s fitted wit ones that hinge in between and seem to be connecting to the sub-frame where the firewall is and this design seems to be more effective.

What other modifications can be done to the chasis to improve handling?
Such a design might work, but it depends on the stiffness of the area where its tieing in to.

Braces that tie in the lower control arm braces L to R might help some. But these are all incremental gains. Fitting a complete roll cage that ties in the front and rear suspension mounts, and distributes those loads through the structure, will likely improve chassis stiffness by 300 to 400% or more, but then the streetability of the car is adversely affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Anyways, contacted Four Seasons who are the distributors of Eibach in Mumbai, was given a quote of 14k for the Eibach lowering/stiffer springs which I'm getting within this week (lower than Pedders springs, ha!).
Man that's a LOT of money for springs.....I'd have the done the dampers first and seen if that helped.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 5th June 2009 at 23:15.
Old 5th June 2009, 23:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

@Ananth: Dampers are coming in too. Same with tyres. The whole setup will be done in stages, and everything should hopefully be done in 2 months. The problem with dampers is that I can't find anything apart from Hotbits that will fit the car. Multiple people have refused anything available from Koni, so I don't know what I'm going to go with. I still have to ask Viper but he seems to be on a holiday. If nothing works, I might go with coilovers in the near future. Let's see.
Old 6th June 2009, 00:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

I see that you're buying the springs and dampers from 2 diff manufacturers. Have the 2 parts been checked for compatibility? I had read somewhere that fitting springs and dampers without calculating their ratings can worsen the handling if there is a miss match between the two.

Shan2nu
Old 6th June 2009, 01:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if I'm even going to get aftermarket dampers for the car. Four Seasons guy suggested sticking to OEM shocks. I might get them stiffened, which AR Motorsport told me would cost around 16k for 4 shocks. A tad bit high if you ask me...
Old 6th June 2009, 01:58   #54
BHPian

^^ 16K is quite steep, make sure to check how exactly its being done. And I would suggest to use the lowering springs only once the shocks are ready. Mating them to stock shocks is clearly asking for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post

Man that's a LOT of money for springs.....I'd have the done the dampers first and seen if that helped.
+1

Last edited by doomsday : 6th June 2009 at 02:02.
Old 6th June 2009, 02:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Four Seasons guy suggested sticking to OEM shocks.
Sure, if you want the car to ride and handle like crap, go for it.
Old 6th June 2009, 02:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

Dude I really don't mind getting the dampers first. The problem is that half of the people keep saying that nothing is available for the OHC and the rest cannot say anything concrete. And just for the record, I was never intent on sticking with OEM shocks; hence my remark about the stiffening being expensive. Half of the people who're in this business won't even respond to emails. Out of the 6 people I've emailed until now, only 2 replied back.

If it's no point getting stiffer springs if compatible shocks are not available, then I'll go with coilovers. Emailed Viper, waiting for a reply.
Old 6th June 2009, 07:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

What's wrong with Hotbits? Isi'nt that what Jitu is using??
Old 6th June 2009, 08:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

hotbits' cost outweigh its benefits. coilover options are also not aplenty. watching patiently.
Old 6th June 2009, 09:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

these are some of the brands available in the US. Can anyone help find a brand that suits the Indian specs.
KYB GR2s
Skunk 2 Sports
Tokico Blues
PIC
Tien
Megan
progress
Pro
Ksport
D2
Hot bits
Old 6th June 2009, 12:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
^^ 16K is quite steep, make sure to check how exactly its being done. And I would suggest to use the lowering springs only once the shocks are ready. Mating them to stock shocks is clearly asking for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Sure, if you want the car to ride and handle like crap, go for it.
16k is TOO high a price. Hydraulic oil is filled in the shocks, new packing etc. The top is supposedly welded back to ensure no leaks.

@Anant/Doomsday - Is there a specific way the stock shocks should be stiffened? I mean, anything specific to follow/ensure?

Just for my knowledge, can you please explain what are the adverse affects of mating lowering springs to stock shocks. Also, is it only related to lowering springs or is it due to stiffened springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
hotbits' cost outweigh its benefits. coilover options are also not aplenty. watching patiently.
+1 to that

Quote:
Dude I really don't mind getting the dampers first. The problem is that half of the people keep saying that nothing is available for the OHC and the rest cannot say anything concrete. And just for the record, I was never intent on sticking with OEM shocks; hence my remark about the stiffening being expensive. Half of the people who're in this business won't even respond to emails. Out of the 6 people I've emailed until now, only 2 replied back.

If it's no point getting stiffer springs if compatible shocks are not available, then I'll go with coilovers. Emailed Viper, waiting for a reply.
Hot bits and D2 are options? Viper is out of the country. Wait for a few days.

Last edited by ankitahuja : 6th June 2009 at 12:45.

Most Viewed