Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2009, 15:04   #1
BHPian

Maruti Alto 2005- Engine Upgrade

Hi All. I am planning to have a WagonR 1.1L engine plonked in my alto. I am hoping that mounting the same would not be a difficult job as the mountings should nearly be the same. Please advise if it is a feasible thought. This might be an engine from some car sold as total loss in mayapuri

Also please recommend if I could put in Power Steering assembly in Alto Lx, may be an after market one or may be from some old car. Can a WagonR EPS be fitted on to Alto?

Also whats the sort of cash outflow I should be looking at for these upgrades?

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th April 2009 at 15:08. Reason: Take a minute, use search for your doubts, then open a new thread. Thanks
Old 7th April 2009, 17:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Tajender,

My replies in Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajender View Post
Hi All. I am planning to have a WagonR 1.1L engine plonked in my alto. I am hoping that mounting the same would not be a difficult job as the mountings should nearly be the same. Please advise if it is a feasible thought. This might be an engine from some car sold as total loss in mayapuri

Yes, its a very feasible thought. The Wagon R engine is nothing but the Alto 3 cylinder engine with one extra cylinder! The Alto engine essentially comprises 3 cylinders of approx 265.3cc each (hence 796cc). The Wagon R engine was made by adding one extra cylinder to the same block, hence the 1061cc capacity.

The Alto's engine bay is big enough to accomodate the larger engine. In fact when the Alto was first launched in India, the VX model did come with the 1061cc, which Maruti later discontinued.

There are no major mechanical modifications required, as long as the engine you are fitting is in sound condition.

Also please recommend if I could put in Power Steering assembly in Alto Lx, may be an after market one or may be from some old car. Can a WagonR EPS be fitted on to Alto?

Fitting power steering is an easy modification which you can get done at any MASS. However, this might prove expensive.

Also whats the sort of cash outflow I should be looking at for these upgrades?

This is anybody's guess. Depends on how well you bargain with the Mayapuri dealer! The EPS system should be around 30K.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2009, 17:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Yes, its a very feasible thought. The Wagon R engine is nothing but the Alto 3 cylinder engine with one extra cylinder! The Alto engine essentially comprises 3 cylinders of approx 265.3cc each (hence 796cc). The Wagon R engine was made by adding one extra cylinder to the same block, hence the 1061cc capacity.
I am not too sure if the mount points are the same.(May be wrong though)
Old 7th April 2009, 17:47   #4
BHPian

Wouldn't it be a lot easier just buying a used Alto 1.1 VXi ? You'll get the power steering too!
Old 7th April 2009, 17:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Price dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Wouldn't it be a lot easier just buying a used Alto 1.1 VXi ? You'll get the power steering too!
Hehehe! Yes, an alternative but practical viewpoint. Considering the VXi (with 1.1 ltr engine) was discontinued 5 years ago, you might as well just buy a second hand VXi with the money you would otherwise pay to modify the LX!
Old 17th April 2009, 13:56   #6
BHPian

The thing is that I already have an Alto LX and am in no mood of disposing that off. I checked with someone in Mayapuri and I could settle the deal till 12 grands for a 14K Kms old WagonR engine. It was coming from a vehicle which was shown in for a total loss. He was also offerring the EPS assembly for 18 grands however I didnt show much of interest in EPS as I doubted the functionality, however am still much inclined on the WagonR engine. If the mountings for the engine are not an issue, then I can definitely pick that one up and have it plonked in my car. The engine that I found was really in gem of state and he was ready to sell the gearbox off for another 6 grands. Pretty decent deal if it is of some worth.
Old 27th May 2009, 01:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well, I think that the 1.1 should be a straight fit for the alto. However, if anyone here has any idea about it, I would like to know if the engine bay of the 800 is large enough to accomodate a 1.1 litre engine with the 5 speed transmission. I had been thinking about going ahead with such project since sometime and was even getting a wagonr's motor with around 32K clocked, but due to the denial of all local mechanics I contacted had to drop the idea. The mechanics were not sure, as they had done nothing like this job before, couple of them had plonked g13s in the zen and diesel units in the gypsy but never have they done a swap for the M800.
Awaiting replies.

Regards.
Old 27th May 2009, 16:09   #8
BANNED

Quote:
he was ready to sell the gearbox off for another 6 grands. .
isn't the gear box on Alto 0.8 and Alto 1.1 same?
Old 27th May 2009, 18:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I checked with someone in Mayapuri and I could settle the deal till 12 grands for a 14K Kms old WagonR engine.
If the engine has really run for only 14K Kms, its a very good deal. Ensure that the engine runs good & that you get everything with the engine required to run it.

Quote:
He was also offerring the EPS assembly for 18 grands
Not a good price, if I remember correct, a new unit itself costs around 20K.

Quote:
If the mountings for the engine are not an issue, then I can definitely pick that one up and have it plonked in my car.
The F10D was offered in the Vxi, so you will not have an issue in swapping it for your F8D. You'll need to get the engine mounts for the Vxi though (they aren't that expensive).

Quote:
he was ready to sell the gearbox off for another 6 grands.
Very nice price, I'd buy it just to have a spare gearbox to fool around with

Tajender, nice endeavor, if you ask me Maruti should never have dropped the F10D from the Alto. Anyway, my advice is to do your research & draw up the complete list of parts required for this swap - the more prepared you are, the less surprises you'll face later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
I think so too, but the ratios have to be different (will confirm this from the parts catalog & service manual).

Last edited by im_srini : 27th May 2009 at 18:18.
Old 27th May 2009, 19:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Few questions that have been in my mind for long:

Can the 1.3L esteem engine be plonked into a 2007 alto?

If yes, then what are all the other parts(like gearbox,ECU,brakes, etc) that needs to be changed?

Will it require any modification to the firewall?

How much will the entire conversion cost approximately(approx break up cost would help a lot tough)?

Can the conversion be done in chennai, if yes, then where in chennai?
Old 28th May 2009, 09:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I think so too, but the ratios have to be different (will confirm this from the parts catalog & service manual).
Hi Monty, you are correct, the transmissions on both the Lx & Vx are identical (even the ratios) ! To compensate for the smaller F8D however, the differential gear (final-drive) is different
Old 28th May 2009, 10:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

what all components will be needed to swap the entire engine and make it work in alto 0.8?
i think the wire harness, ecu etc will also be needed?
Old 28th May 2009, 10:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
what all components will be needed to swap the entire engine and make it work in alto 0.8?
I think this would be an "interesting" endeavor, or at the least, a nice thought experiment. The Alto parts-catalog should be able to help with this list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i think the wire harness, ecu etc will also be needed?
Amit, surprisingly I don't remember seeing different part numbers for the Lx & Vx PCMs (ECU). Anyway, will go through the catalog & put up a comprehensive list of parts needed for this swap...
Old 28th May 2009, 11:06   #14
BHPian

Hi all,
A garage fellow in our neighbourhood just scrapped an Maruti 1000, but had retained the engine and gearbox with him. I am planning to experiment if the 5 speed could be plonked into the Maruti 800 (carburetted) of my colleague's. Has anyone already tried this out? or at least studied the feasibility. If so please pour your experience so that we learn before burning our fingers.
-Ilango
Old 28th May 2009, 11:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

@badboyscad: Alto 0.8 can't accommodate 1.3ltr eng.the max it can only have 1.1ltr.

@Tajender: 12 grands for a 14K Kms old WagonR engine is a steal but
a) Find a reliable person who has done such kind of jobs in dehli.
b) Get the list of spare to be procured from the WagonR. (Its good if the person visits the place & takes a look @ the engine.)
c) Calculate the price of the original spares against the parts of wagonR. If there is a marginal difference in the new price,better to go for new ones,as these may not be reliable when dealing with accident vehicle.
d) if you get a nice deal Better to purchase the whole machinery (apart from the body) from the wagonR instead dealing part by part, where you can benifit,else you end paying more like the EPS.

@ilangop:i'm not sure if you can do it for carburetted,but can be done for MPFI.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 28th May 2009 at 11:38.

Most Viewed