Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2009, 09:24   #1
BHPian

My first product: Self cooling turbo heat shield

Well I finally made my first product, and filed for the patent. It's currently in patent pending status, but I can release images and take pre-orders. It's designed for the Subaru Impreza WRX.

How it works
While driving, forces fresh air directly on to turbo from hood scoop by utilizing a chimney design from the heat shield to the hood scoop. While the vehicle is at idle, the chimney acts as an exit chute for the heat built up, allowing it to directly exit rather than absorb into the engine bay. It weighs less than one pound and is extremely durable and built for sand racing use in Florida's off road paths.

By removing excess heat from the turbo, it reduces the top mount intercooler heat absorption allowing a cooler intake air temperature. Cooler intake equals more horsepower, torque, and better gas mileage. This is a huge improvement over the standard heat shields that only deflect thermal energy into the engine bay rather than out of the engine bay.

Click the link below to see it and let me know what you think! Thanks!

My first official product release: Subaru Impreza WRX self cooling turbo heat shield

I have a second product under development as well, a cold air intake that does not cause check engine lights for the Subaru Impreza WRX. I love engineering products!

Last edited by skoloseven : 31st May 2009 at 09:26.
Old 31st May 2009, 09:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

It looks good, although I'm a noobie at all this, wouldn't a silicon hose shaped like a snorkel look a bit more elegant instead of the metal scoop type thingy, or are the temperatures too hot for that?
Old 31st May 2009, 10:23   #3
BHPian

Silicone would work the temps are okay. I thought about using silicone but decided against it because the chimney also acts like a radiator by cooling the heat shield when colder outside air hits the chimney, sucking thermal energy out of it. It's kind of like a CPU cooler. Keeping that metal in the outside flow of air is part of the cooling feature, silicone would not transfer heat as well and allow the heat to stay within the metal shield instead of leaving. Good thinking though, it would look much better with silicone even though the heat transfer would not be as good. Cosmetics vs. practicality was a big issue, but I feel the over all performance is so good that even a little obtrusive design would be okay. Thanks for your input and thank you for checking out my self cooling turbo heat shield.

Last edited by skoloseven : 31st May 2009 at 10:42.
Old 31st May 2009, 11:32   #4
BHPian

Congrats, very interesting product. How much difference did you find in the intake temperatures with and without the shield ?

@Vid - Silicone is a poor conductor of heat. It pretty expensive also.

Last edited by Sideways : 31st May 2009 at 11:34.
Old 31st May 2009, 17:19   #5
BHPian

Sko I love the ingenuity in finding such a problem and the tenacity shown by you to go get your hands dirty and fix it. It product according to you has great functionality and is improving performance to a noticeable extent.

However I strongly feel that if you're going to market this idea it requires more visual appeal. Agreed that a silicone hose is not functional, but what about something else which will be equally or more functional, but at the same time a lot more visually appealing.
Old 31st May 2009, 17:52   #6
BHPian

Congrats friend. A very good start!
Old 31st May 2009, 18:26   #7
BHPian

Agree with Shreyas. It's a very good start and wish you all the best as well as success with it. Time to market it to the die hard Subaru WRX fans out there.
Old 1st June 2009, 08:15   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone. I took it for a really hard drive tonight, actually went out into the sand trails with it and did a couple of runs. The ambient temperature was about 75F and humidity around 70%.

The good!
I noticed that the intake temperature data took about three times as long to reach the normal temperatures. After driving it, I took my hand and felt around the shield. It wasn't that hot near the back or anywhere else except the chimney. Putting my hand near the chimney exit was a mistake. Ouch! The heat transfer really works, and my intercooler was still fairly cool. before the shield I couldn't even touch the intercooler over the turbo (even with water spray!), and now I can leave my hand on it permanently. I didn't use the intercooler spray at all either, it's amazing how much that shield really works.

The bad!
Even though the design is engineered perfectly, it is ugly. I agree completely with Doc. The design is not appealing at all, even to me. It looks rather, perverted if I may. It covers up the pretty turbo with an ugly flat piece of metal and a huge "thing" sticking straight up. This design must stay this way in order to direct air on to the turbo bearings to extend turbo life. With the hood closed, it doesn't look "terrible" but it's still rather obtuse. Feedback from most customers so far is that it's ugly, but it works. I have a few on the pre-order list but not enough to start production.

Overall, it's a good product but I honestly don't see a huge future for it. Maybe a few select die hards but that's about it. I'm just happy it works on my car! I have the only Subaru in the world with a "self cooling turbo heat shield". Hopefully I can change that soon!

Video: Self cooling turbo heat shield on Streetfire.net

Last edited by skoloseven : 1st June 2009 at 08:18.

Most Viewed