Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 20:26   #1
BHPian

Aveo Aircon not cool enough !

I have a December 2006 Chevy Aveo ,
My A/C is not at all efficient, it takes a lot of time to barely cool the cabin upto a bearable level, I have to put it on high power for a lot of time.
  • I've heard that there was a problem in the earlier models of the Aveo , if if coners the model I have , can the problem be fixed?
  • Also are there any tips/ suggestion to increase the performance of the Aircon.
  • Will K&N filter be of any help ?
  • Also , which a is a suggested grade of film that I can put onto windows of my car to keep the cabin cool in summers ?

The summers in Amritsar are killing me!
Please Help !
Old 2nd June 2009, 04:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

did you check the a/c gas in your car ? is there a leak in the pipes? is the compressor getting turned on?
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:19   #3
BHPian

Is the temp gauge in the proper position?
This happened to a friend of mine. His sister turned down the AC temperature in the early morning. When he got in later in the day, he thought that the AC was malfunctioning.
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:31   #4
BHPian

@ srijit
Yes the temp gauge in the proper position, and I would rule out any chances of inefficiency due to my negligence, as I have checked the control several times.

@ govigov
How can we check whether the compressor is on or not ?
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Your car's AC may need servicing and cleaning. The problems you have faced were also faced in my friend's Zen.
All it took was a thorough cleaning and servicing that solved the problem.

Before making any changes to the car like adding films on the glass, go to A.S.S and ask them to look into the matter.
When you switch on AC there will be slight, very slightly noticable feeling that engine is getting more load. This will be more pronounced in high gears and low speed. This way one can confirm if the compressor is working or not. Its not always that the compressor is malfunctioning if it does not start working as soon as you switch on AC. Its possible that other parts like compressor clutch might be the reason for compressor not clicking in.

K & N filter will be of no help in increasing AC effectiveness.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:10   #6
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

Do look for air circulation mode as well and make sure its switched on, the switch right next to the AC switch.

There are three buttons, de-fogger one, air circulation, and AC.

Its the center one.

You said that there was this problem with earlier models of AVEO, I own a 2006 May AVEO but I havent faced any issues with my AC till now.

Cheers.
Old 3rd June 2009, 21:14   #7
BHPian

Any tips on how to use (best way) the air conditioner to cool the car ?
Old 4th June 2009, 00:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Best way to cool the car and prolong life of the AC is use it as often as possible.

Even when the weather is cool run it for a good 20 minutes on max so the oil etc in the system lubricates all the bits and bobs.
Old 4th June 2009, 08:46   #9
BHPian

And how to beat this maddening 40 degree Celsius heat ?
Old 4th June 2009, 09:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
And how to beat this maddening 40 degree Celsius heat ?
Roll the windows down for first 5mins of drive.

Initially switch on the AC at speed 1, and then after 5 mins into the drive move the levels up further.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mine is a 2006 Aveo 1.6, It was fine till last summer, But this summer was horrible inside the car on long run.
AC is working fine for the first 1-2 hours, and afterwards under the sun it becomes horrible. Now, I afraid to take the car for long drive. Anyone know what could be the issue.

I drive 20-30 mins only within the city each time, and AC has absolutely no problem. For the same reason, after checking A.S.S people says AC is working well, and no need for a service.

I really need to fix this before I take the car for the next long drive. :-(
Old 18th June 2009, 18:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AC is working fine for the first 1-2 hours, and afterwards under the sun it becomes horrible. Now, I afraid to take the car for long drive. Anyone know what could be the issue.
The ac thermistor has conked off, this is a very common problem in Optras and aveos according to the A.S.S, my Optra too faced this issue, the cooling becomes zilch after an hour or so of the airconditioner running, switch off for a few minutes and switch it back on and then it starts cooling again.

This apparently is due to the fact that the compressor does not cut off when the set temperature is reached, this leads to ice formation around the delivery hoses which block the cool air flow, when one switches off the ac for a while the engine heat melts the ice and we have cool air flowing again.

The thermistor for an Optra costs about 750/- plus labour. Mine got replaced under warranty.
Old 22nd June 2009, 21:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
The ac thermistor has conked off, this is a very common problem in Optras and aveos according to the A.S.S, my Optra too faced this issue, the cooling becomes zilch after an hour or so of the airconditioner running, switch off for a few minutes and switch it back on and then it starts cooling again.

This apparently is due to the fact that the compressor does not cut off when the set temperature is reached, this leads to ice formation around the delivery hoses which block the cool air flow, when one switches off the ac for a while the engine heat melts the ice and we have cool air flowing again.

The thermistor for an Optra costs about 750/- plus labour. Mine got replaced under warranty.
Thank you so much. I will check again with the A.S.S, if they don't satisfy - need to find a good AC Mechanic somewhere out. I can ask them for the thermistor issue confidently.

Most Viewed