Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2009, 16:09   #1
vinfriend

Low cost air compressor for spray painting..

please tell me where can I get low cost air compressor for car painting. I see one adv. in ebay "Professional paint spray gun 120W" eBay India: Professional paint spray gun 120W good quality product (item 150349403378 end time 11-Jun-2009 02:05:00 IST)

Is it useful for spray painting jobs, or at least patch works?

Old 8th June 2009, 16:28   #2
BHPian

Hi Vin,
Even I am interested in buying one of this kind. People who have already used this, your opinions please
Old 8th June 2009, 16:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

But why on earth, you guys wanna do it yourself.

Easiest would be to buy a can of Com-Paint and start.

And i am sure after using them for a couple of times, you will gather enough expertise to paint all minor stuff at home.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
But why on earth, you guys wanna do it yourself. Easiest would be to buy a can of Com-Paint and start. And i am sure after using them for a couple of times, you will gather enough expertise to paint all minor stuff at home.
Sunny, have tried my hands both on COM paint and the cmpressed air spray gun. As you said, the COMpaint is only for "minor stuff", and also needs some experience to adjust the flow, & spray direction simultaneously. I find, a proper spray gun is many times more comfortable than the aerosol can.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Sunny, have tried my hands both on COM paint and the cmpressed air spray gun. As you said, the COMpaint is only for "minor stuff", and also needs some experience to adjust the flow, & spray direction simultaneously. I find, a proper spray gun is many times more comfortable than the aerosol can.
I dont think this will be considerably better than the aerosol, as this itself is meant for minor stuff only and not for bigger jobs.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I too am looking for a small low-cost compressor to be used with an Airbrush. Can anyone help?
Old 9th June 2009, 12:22   #7
BHPian

I too am looking one for my home garage, any suggestions guys ?
Old 10th July 2010, 23:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I too am looking for a small low-cost compressor to be used with an Airbrush. Can anyone help?
Sam.Many years back PILOT SPRAY GUNS manufecturers had developed a Compressor less spray gun, it was like any conventional spray guns but slightly large in size and made of HDP plastic, I had one in late eighties. It used to make a growlling sound when used and worked very well. I used it for many years then someone took it to use and never returned even I forgot whom it was given.Kindly go to their web site www.pilotindia.com and check their spray gun Type P70/E 88. you will get all your answers. REGARDS.....Go ahead and start painting without Air Compressor.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 00:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Low cost air compressor for spray painting..

Bumping this old one up again,
With great difficulty we find affordable proper paint shops for cars these days, Is it practical to buy a compressor and paint / maintain your own cars or cars of only fellow members? I wouldn't mind bearing the expensive of buying a compressor and a paint gun.
I know there are several other so called "crazy" people who like to maintain their cars in pristine condition like I do.
How expensive / practical is this ?
I am tired of paying 3,000-5,000 K for a paint job for every panel.
Old 20th September 2013, 10:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey captain. Small compressors will not be able to maintain the flow. Also a good quality gun would cost much. You will need a decent booth. Else you will end up sanding all the dust andaint job would look ugly. If you were in US I would agree. Might be able to paint a whole car in the backyard. Try to rent a booth if possible. Do research. Youtube is your best friend.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 10:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Low cost air compressor for spray painting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Bumping this old one up again,
With great difficulty we find affordable proper paint shops for cars these days, Is it practical to buy a compressor and paint / maintain your own cars or cars of only fellow members? I wouldn't mind bearing the expensive of buying a compressor and a paint gun.
I know there are several other so called "crazy" people who like to maintain their cars in pristine condition like I do.
How expensive / practical is this ?
I am tired of paying 3,000-5,000 K for a paint job for every panel.

Buying a compressor and paint gun is not sufficient. You need the skill to use them to spray paint properly. Professional painters have many hours of painting under their belt and are expert. If we end up doing it, we will do more bad than good.

Also painting involves sanding to remove original paint.Prepping it with primer. Removing dents if required et al. And proper masking is a must so that you wont have paint overspray!
After painting you need to heat the paint so that it cures properly. Remember curing under heat is a important factor for gloss of the paint. Then you must purchase a clear coat. Applying clear coat is trickier than applying paint!

IMO, its not worth at all. Better pay for professional services than endure this head ache
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks