Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 14:10   #1
BHPian

BMW 520i E34

Would like to know if anyone here could help with completely restoring and modifying an old BMW 520i for performance in Bangalore. I saw a 3 series BMW completely done up by autopsyche, Delhi. Are there any outfits like autopsyche in Bangalore? thanks.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The South has some of the best tuners in India, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble. Check out the Bangalore Tuning Directory as well as Red Roosters new outfit that's coming up.
Old 9th June 2009, 22:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärlsson View Post
completely restoring and modifying an old BMW 520i for performance in Bangalore.
Restoring = perfect
Modifying for performance = I suggest you evaluate the pros and cons for the same. A stock 520i with around 125 horses though not fast wouldn't be very slow. IMO, you should restore it in stock form. A exhaust, filter,a quality M5 replica or original bumper, nice clean interiors, and a classy paint job should suffice.
Old 10th June 2009, 15:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Restoring = perfect
Modifying for performance = I suggest you evaluate the pros and cons for the same. A stock 520i with around 125 horses though not fast wouldn't be very slow. IMO, you should restore it in stock form. A exhaust, filter,a quality M5 replica or original bumper, nice clean interiors, and a classy paint job should suffice.
Thanks dipen. will need to first restore it as you say. This belongs to a good friend and its lying unused. Had the misfortune of being submerged in a basement parking after rains few years ago and it has never been the same despite all the money spent on it. So the owner lost interest after a while. while the 2.0 liter engine was good on the 3 series the heavier 520i felt somewhat underpowered. It has BBS wheels, Hella Fender etc. and was really a nice looking red car when it was purchased 12 years ago and the owner good care before it went underwater. The engine needs work now. So I am just trying to help him restore her and probably tune it for performance as stage 2.
Old 10th June 2009, 21:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to discourage you but I am not a big supporter of restoring these old German marques unless they hold a lot of sentimental value to you. I would still recommend getting a 1996 - 1999 E39 528i for around 5-8 lakhs in good condition.
A unused car which has been submerged in water calls for big expenses. Mechanicals, suspension, interiors, electronics, bushes, bearings, brakes, etc and remain parts for refurbishing, restoring the car will cost a bomb and may not be worth for what the car is worth in the market. Trust me these will set up back easily by 3 - 4 laks minimum once you start work on it and then again there may not be peace of mind. I repeat, please keep the car stock. Restrict the performance mods to exhaust and filter at max. Already, reliability is concern with these older beauties. A stock car in better condition will keep you much happier than a modded car whose present condition doesn't seem impressive.
Old 11th June 2009, 10:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

Heard about this car. Remember seeing it around the indiranagar area. It was well maintained. If I am right a certain old man knows the owner
Old 12th June 2009, 10:42   #7
BHPian

@Dipen, Thanks for the input. Will tell him.

@ajmat You are right. And I am sure the owner knows some old men too

@GTO Thanks for the link.
Old 4th October 2009, 09:15   #8
BHPian

The 520i is almost done and will be back in stock condition soon. We found a good alternative garage to the local BMW dealer. The gentleman who runs this private garage in Koramangala is Babu Chettupuzha who maintains and services a number of German cars. Will post pictures of the car when finished.
Old 4th October 2009, 10:17   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kärlsson View Post
The 520i is almost done and will be back in stock condition soon. We found a good alternative garage to the local BMW dealer. The gentleman who runs this private garage in Koramangala is Babu Chettupuzha who maintains and services a number of German cars. Will post pictures of the car when finished.
You are talking about CAR MECHS?
Old 5th October 2009, 00:09   #10
BHPian

haha, you getting the car done up with BABU! well he knows the job and will take care of it GUARANTEED!!! Is he still driving that Q7 or is it upgraded!! Last time I was at his house he owned 5 mercs as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks