Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 16:52   #1
BHPian

Modifying my OHC 1.3 DX

Dear All, I have recently purchase used OHC 1.3 DX 2003. I am big fan of OHC since ages and finally bought this. The odo clocked 65,000. I drove WagonR for more than 35K from 2004 - 2009. I checked my OHC at couple of garages (Pride Honda and one reputed one in Hyd). In brief, both were saying that overall car is fine. But, these are my initial observations in my 1K Honda experience.
• Clutch is bit harder especially in 1st and 2nd gear.
• When I am in half-clutch (city driving), the car wobbles.
• Above 80 kmph speed, I get lot of tyre noise. Tyres are relatively new (michelin)
• Steering is bit harder
• FE is around 13.2 city driving with A/C
Not much of the body work has done. But, I want to go for new teflon coating (probably after paining but not decided yet), fog lamps etc.,
Please suggest what should I ask to service mechanics to look for. My budget is around 20,000/- for servicing and body work (with out paint).
Thanks in advance..
Raghu Lakshman
Old 12th June 2009, 18:18   #2
BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP Raghu. Congratulations on you buy. You will find like minded OHC lovers and a lot of them on this forum.
With refference to your second point, what exactly are you reffering to as "wobbling" or do you mean juddering?
Have you got the allignment and balancing done?
w.r.t your third point, the OHC's ball joints and tie-rod are prone to early wear so you could get them checked and replaced if requires.
Old 12th June 2009, 18:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnraghu78 View Post
Dear All, I have recently purchase used OHC 1.3 DX 2003. I am big fan of OHC since ages and finally bought this. The odo clocked 65,000. I drove WagonR for more than 35K from 2004 - 2009. I checked my OHC at couple of garages (Pride Honda and one reputed one in Hyd). In brief, both were saying that overall car is fine. But, these are my initial observations in my 1K Honda experience.
• Above 80 kmph speed, I get lot of tyre noise. Tyres are relatively new (michelin)
• Steering is bit harder
Not much of the body work has done. But, I want to go for new teflon coating (probably after paining but not decided yet), fog lamps etc.,
Please suggest what should I ask to service mechanics to look for. My budget is around 20,000/- for servicing and body work (with out paint).
Thanks in advance..
Raghu Lakshman
Congrats on your ride Raghu.

• Clutch is bit harder especially in 1st and 2nd gear. - Probably you may want to check if they are worn. 65K on the odo generally demands a change of Clutch.
• When I am in half-clutch (city driving), the car wobbles. - Probably the same reason as #1.
• Above 80 kmph speed, I get lot of tyre noise. Tyres are relatively new (michelin) - Check your air pressure.
• Steering is bit harder - Compared to? (I dont think WagonR as they use EPS as compared to Hydraulics used by others). Remember it is a bigger and heavier car so that may be the case.
• FE is around 13.2 city driving with A/C - Awesome!

Dont forget to get the following checked -

Battery
Brakes
Clutch
A/C
Shocks
Old 13th June 2009, 15:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
• Steering is bit harder
Thanks in advance..
Raghu Lakshman

Welcome aboard the OHC Fanclub...
Perhaps the feeling of stiffness in the clutch and the steering might be due to the change in ride. Never driven a WagonR but the difference might be felt initially.
13.2 is a good number!!
Old 13th June 2009, 16:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
• Steering is bit harder
Thanks in advance..
Raghu Lakshman

Congrats on the purchase, Raghu. You have picked up the OHC as fresh as it could be as Honda stopped production in 2003.

Regarding your query, my 2 cents:
  • OHC Clutch is harder during a cold start, always remember that. Once you have reached the 3rd gear, the transmission would be warmed up to the optimum level too. Also, WagonR/Santro etc have a softer clutch than the OHC, not to worry!
  • Worn off clutch/pressure plate symptom or an old/tight clutch cable.
  • Get air pressure checked, stay 1 psi over company standard. Get your suspension checked as Abhik suggested, and noise could also mean worn out wheel bearings! (ouch!)
  • Yes, it's harder than the small hatch you used to drive. Bigger tyres, bigger car, heavier! Simple.
  • Haha, and? 13.2 kmpl in city is good. I get around 14 in the city. All depends on how you keep her / drive her.

Last edited by ankitahuja : 13th June 2009 at 16:51.
Old 15th June 2009, 14:03   #6
BHPian

All,

Thanks a lot for your responses. May be my observations are some of obvious things when any driver upgrades from smaller cars to bigger ones. with theodore_ftw that there may be change of clutch is required.

I decided to go one of the good mechanics I know for the last 5 years so that all my doubts gets clarified. I guess I need to be more proactive in handling the steering till I get used to it.

I will reply you once the servicing is done. I may need to get back to you for more suggestions and enlightenment.

Thanks
Raghu Lakshman

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks