Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 01:06   #1
BHPian

Help needed - bumper replacement in i10 by hyundai - not satisfied

Hi guys!
My just 2 month-old-i10 suffered a major dent in the bumper on its left side.I felt very bad as this happened exactly 2 months after buying the car ( to be precise the same day too) And to the top of it ,what really enraged me, was this incident happened to my car when it was PARKED WITH THE BODY COVER ON,in front of my house.Zero mistake on me An apche rtr driven by a stupid lad hit against the bumper and he fell down.Hearing the sound we came out and We caught the culprit.We managed to get rs.1500 from that idiot.My car cover also got torn which i managed to mend it in a nearby liner's shop.

@hyundai service centre
It was a major dent on the left side and the bumper was jutting out of the body.So the person in-charge said to change the bumper.He said that the bumper will initially come in black color upon which painting will be done.I also agreed to do so as i was deeply pained as it happened to be my brand new FIRST car in my life! But thank God! fog lamps and headlamps got saved from the impact! I went to the service centre,the same day and all formalities were completed and i decided to claim insurance as the bill was rs.4500.As for NCB ,i was said by the hyundai guys that Oriental insurance gives 20% NCB and it worked out to be around rs.2000.Eventually,i paid rs.1070 from my side and remaining part was paid by insurance.

My doubt
The color of my i10's bumper seem to differ slightly (10-15%) from the original factory color.My car's color is blushing red.Also the finish ( painted surface) is rough, when i touch the surface of the bumper as compared to the rear bumper.Initially i noted this but as the car was delivered after washing and some oil put on it,the A.S.S people told that it was due to dust.I too came away not bothering, after seeing my i10 back in shape.But now after giving my car a thorough shampoo wash and a polish,the bumper's surface still feels rough when touched.I'm not convinced now ! I have decided to take this matter to the service centre on tuesday,this week.

1) What i require now, is some advice from my fellow t-bhpians as to what should be done on this regard,as i'm a newbie driver

2)Also,will the repainted fibre part's surface( bumper) become rough after the paint job?

3)Lastly,Does any body know how much % oriental insurance offers as NCB?

Thanks
Old 14th June 2009, 02:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

If it's rough after the paint job then in most chances it's because of the unfinished polishing. Show the service guys the roughness and tell them to polish it to make it smooth.
Old 14th June 2009, 15:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Kums, I have been through the same scenario involving front bumper change plus right headlamp and right fender on my Real Earth Santro Xing. A bus bruised against the car, as I was waiting to proceed after the light turned green.

The roughness should not be there on the new bumper. The colour difference is something understandable but the roughness can be on part of inferior job done by them.

In my case, Hyundai guys painted a lighter shade of Real Earth (they said there are 10 shades in Real Earth), and I was told the difference in because of the paint being fresh. Actually, they had painted the new shade coming in Santro and on being told the same they admitted it and repainted the parts.

My advice, go and get hook of the manager and tell him to repaint it properly.
Old 14th June 2009, 15:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ask them to do it again properly. Nowadays, paint shade can be perfectly matched, especially in a brand new car. My 6 month old Civic got a new rear bumper and shade is perfectly matched, that too a pearl metallic paint.
Old 14th June 2009, 16:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kums View Post
Hi guys!

3)Lastly,Does any body know how much % oriental insurance offers as NCB?

Thanks
I would say consider yourself lucky to have got some amount from the culprit and the insurance. Happens
Guess they pay 50% of the value for plastics.
Old 14th June 2009, 20:24   #6
BHPian

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
If it's rough after the paint job then in most chances it's because of the unfinished polishing. Show the service guys the roughness and tell them to polish it to make it smooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Kums, I have been through the same scenario involving front bumper change plus right headlamp and right fender on my Real Earth Santro Xing. A bus bruised against the car, as I was waiting to proceed after the light turned green.

The roughness should not be there on the new bumper. The colour difference is something understandable but the roughness can be on part of inferior job done by them.

In my case, Hyundai guys painted a lighter shade of Real Earth (they said there are 10 shades in Real Earth), and I was told the difference in because of the paint being fresh. Actually, they had painted the new shade coming in Santro and on being told the same they admitted it and repainted the parts.

My advice, go and get hook of the manager and tell him to repaint it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Ask them to do it again properly. Nowadays, paint shade can be perfectly matched, especially in a brand new car. My 6 month old Civic got a new rear bumper and shade is perfectly matched, that too a pearl metallic paint.
Thanks kaushik_s,tsk13,ImmortalZ,kavesh55 for your prompt suggestions

I'll take my car to the service station for sure.My grouse is the bumper roughness, leave alone some minor paint mismatch.But it has been 15 days since i got the bumper replaced.So,do i still have the hold and go ask the service manager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
I would say consider yourself lucky to have got some amount from the culprit and the insurance. Happens
Guess they pay 50% of the value for plastics.
Yeah partly lucky in the unlucky incident! And I was asking about the NCB kavesh55
Old 14th June 2009, 22:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Kums

Nothing to worry about the roughness, its just an extra layer of CLEAR spray along with dust.

Just ask the Hyundai service ppl to apply rubbing compound on the bumper.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:52   #8
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Just ask the Hyundai service ppl to apply rubbing compound on the bumper.
A rubbing compund will work if the roughness that you mention about is on a small area. If the whole bumper feels coarse to the touch, the only way to go would be a full repaint and a fresh clear coat as well.
Old 17th June 2009, 20:50   #9
BHPian

Thanks kpzen & gpa!

Today i went to the service centre and the issue was sorted out immediately.They took the car and polished the bumper . kaushik_s rightly pointed out in this thread.The mistake is unfinished polishing!

And now the twist!
After polishing the shine and smoothness reverted to original but as i noticed closely i could see some fairly large particles(size of a pinhead) remain stuck to the paint coat on fairly large areas in the bumper,
OMG ! I pointed out the issue and they admitted their mistake on painting the bumper.Dust grains seem to have stuck to the freshly painted surface.Well,i thought i should raise hell about this.But there was no need of such thing,as they accepted to repaint the whole bumper again And i'm taking my car tomo for repainting.
I will keep you updated as to what happens next in the hyundai service centre.But so far their response is very good .They should not have been this careless in an authorised service centre though!

Last edited by kums : 17th June 2009 at 20:51.
Old 17th June 2009, 22:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

It happens in every dealership these days I think. They just have too many cars to handle. So they cut corners and this is the result. Sad.
Old 17th June 2009, 23:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Kums. Hyundai guys seem to be easy at entertaining such claims as they are very well aware of their quality.
Old 17th June 2009, 23:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kums View Post

And now the twist!
After polishing the shine and smoothness reverted to original but as i noticed closely i could see some fairly large particles(size of a pinhead) remain stuck to the paint coat on fairly large areas in the bumper,
Kums
If its manageable and not so visible, then i would advise u not to get it repainted.
IMO, the more you invite the service ppl to mess around with the car, more problems keep arising.
Old 19th June 2009, 13:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
It happens in every dealership these days I think. They just have too many cars to handle. So they cut corners and this is the result. Sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Congratulations Kums. Hyundai guys seem to be easy at entertaining such claims as they are very well aware of their quality.
Yeah,its true. Quality is inversely proportional to quantity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Kums
If its manageable and not so visible, then i would advise u not to get it repainted.
IMO, the more you invite the service ppl to mess around with the car, more problems keep arising.
I too had a second thought but as they immediately offered to redo the job,i deciced to go ahead. Meanwhile,i've dropped my car today morning for this.It will be delivered in the evening.I've specifically told them that i dont want this to happen again.Waiting to see the end result !
Old 20th June 2009, 00:15   #14
BHPian

Problem sorted out!

Hi guys!
This evening i went to the service station to bring my car.The whole bumper was repainted to my satisfaction.The fit and finish was also close to brand new.Good and fast rectification from hyundai Thanks to all of you for your inputs.

NOW,i'm satisfied at last!

@mods: If needed, pls change the Phrase " not satisfied " in the thread title to " Now satisfied "

Most Viewed