Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 00:34   #1
BHPian

Need suggestions on full body repainting (possibly color change) of Mondeo

I own a Mondeo that I bought almost a year back although many TBHPians advised me against it. It is a Dec’ 2002 model and had 48k kms on the odo. The car is fantastic and I don’t have to say anything about its handling prowess. It’s an absolute delight to drive. It is so good that my 4 years old fully pimped Corolla started gathering dust. I finally ended up selling it to my friend for peanuts.

But my Mondeo started showing its age even though it ran without any major issues, the only exception to this is the rear suspension. Sorting it out was really a frustrating experience and this frustration is mainly due to incompetent dealers. It is a long story and it needs a separate thread in Long-term ownership reviews section. So I decided to take things into my own hands and completely refurbish the car and get it back to the showroom condition to the extent possible.

After spending lot of time and money, refurbishing is almost over. I replaced all worn out parts. Also, as a precaution, replaced all parts that showed some sings of wear and parts that may have possibly failed in future. I have till now spent 4 lakhs to restore the car. Some of the parts that were replaced are Flywheel (DMF), Clutch assembly, Clutch cylinders, Fuel pump, Water pump, Engine and Gearbox mounts, Thermostat, Coil pack, Spark plugs with leads, Idler Pully, Tensioner, Brake discs and pads, Shocks absorbers, Coil Springs, Lower Arms at front, Trailing and lower arms at rear, Rear Subframe bushes, Antiroll bars and bushes, Rollbar drop links, left drive shaft, Tie-rod ends, Headlight Xenon bulbs and lot of other small bits and pieces. Please note that not all the above parts have failed, most of them were replaced just to get that feel of a new car.

After all the changes it indeed runs like new. But the exterior is showing its age and the paint coat lost the sheen. Also there are lots of scratches all around but no major dents. I plan to give it a full body repaint and possibly change the color. The original color is Stardust silver. Mondeo looks good in Black but I am inclined to some lighter shade of Red (shade that is on Innova).

So now coming to the topic,
1) What would be cost for a full body repaint?
2) Is it advisable to change the color, any adverse effects?
3) What would be cost for the change of color?
4) What color would you suggest?
5) Any recommended places in Bangalore for full body repaint? Should I only go to garages with dedicated paint booths?

I would really appreciate any suggestions in this regard.

Thanks,
Novice

Last edited by novice : 18th June 2009 at 00:40.
Old 18th June 2009, 01:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...detailing.html

Maybe you want to do that instead of a full body repaint?
Old 18th June 2009, 08:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
4) What color would you suggest?
5) Any recommended places in Bangalore for full body repaint? Should I only go to garages with dedicated paint booths?
2. In case you change to a different color that what it was during the registration, then you need to get the same updated. Also, check if you need to inform the RTO about the same.

4) Black.

5) I would recommend Bangalore Motor Work on Hosur Road, near Adugudi. This workshop is right in front of IBP gas station and you can check with Santosh. He owns the place.
Old 18th June 2009, 08:36   #4
BHPian

Can you post some pics? You should give detailing a try before the full body repaint unless u are keen to change the colour.
Old 18th June 2009, 09:55   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I plan to give it a full body repaint and possibly change the color. The original color is Stardust silver. Mondeo looks good in Black but I am inclined to some lighter shade of Red (shade that is on Innova).

So now coming to the topic,
1) What would be cost for a full body repaint?

35 - 40 K for any color, Paint being dupont / 2k

Zero adverse effect, No troubles with RTO also.

3) What would be cost for the change of color?

Refer your question 1

Let me know if you need help

I would really appreciate any suggestions in this regard.

Thanks,
Novice
Hey you dont seem to be a Novice after taking care of you car so lovingly.

My replies in Bold.
Old 18th June 2009, 21:48   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...detailing.html

Maybe you want to do that instead of a full body repaint?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Can you post some pics? You should give detailing a try before the full body repaint unless u are keen to change the colour.
Detailing may not be enough. In many places especially around edges bare metal is visible. It looks like the previous owner had done polishing quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
5) I would recommend Bangalore Motor Work on Hosur Road, near Adugudi. This workshop is right in front of IBP gas station and you can check with Santosh. He owns the place.
Do you have his contact number? Any first hand experience with this workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hey you dont seem to be a Novice after taking care of you car so lovingly.
I was actually a novice when I joined this forum. But thanks to TBHP and incompetent Ford dealers I now know a lot more about cars.

I would be grateful for any help from you this regard.

Posting few pics of Mondeo in OE Black and Red color. Could you guys tell me which one looks better. Also is it possible to attain the OE paint finish?
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestions on full body repainting (possibly color change) of Mondeo-1235772766meg6.jpg  

Need suggestions on full body repainting (possibly color change) of Mondeo-pb191284.jpg  

Need suggestions on full body repainting (possibly color change) of Mondeo-pb191283.jpg  

Need suggestions on full body repainting (possibly color change) of Mondeo-1235772725meg1.jpg  

Need suggestions on full body repainting (possibly color change) of Mondeo-dsc02105.jpg  

Old 18th June 2009, 21:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Red one with those wheels looks super hot, black is no way near just too subtle.

So my vote goes for the Red one
Old 18th June 2009, 22:13   #8
BHPian

@novice, the pics above look good, black is a common color for the Mondeo, its like just another mondeo, since you are painting the entire car I would suggest a nice color as the sunset copper in the pic above or red.

Here's a pic I dug up from my laptop...liked it in red.
Need suggestions on full body repainting (possibly color change) of Mondeo-1551273645_fa6c1f8755.jpg
Old 19th June 2009, 11:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

@novice
Red colour looks good.
If y0u stay in south Bangalore, Checkout with SAI Colorium at JP Nagar, It's is in Sarakki Rd, They do a neat job.
Old 19th June 2009, 12:12   #10
BHPian

The red looks darn good, though you might want to be very specific on the exact shade of red. The Formula Red, Manchester Red and Corrida Red in the Palio Sports, Cedia and Octavia RS respectively are some of the best flaming reds in the country.

Another option to confuse you: Blue. More electric blue with a lot of metallic shine, like the Aquarius Fiesta 1.6s, it might suit the car and it would stand out unlike any other Mondeo!

Black is too subtle for a repaint IMO. I've only seen 2 colors of Mondeos - Silver and Black.

Cheers!
Payne
Old 20th June 2009, 11:07   #11
BHPian

Agree to an earlier post. All we come across are Black and Silver Mondeos, so +1 to the red color . Will go with the persona of the car, and will contribute a lot to the road presence of an already impressive vehicle.

Further, I am closely watching this thread because I plan to buy a used Ford Fusion sometime soon and I had related queries. I do not intend to hijack the original thread, but some related questions

1. Will a full repainting (with color change) give the same effect as OEM paint? Most cases I have come across, the color is great at the start but loses its sheen/gloss pretty soon. Also most pics I have come across related to repainting have a matte finish, unlike the glossy feel of OEM paints. Is it just me?

2. I read elsewhere on this forum, that for a color change you would need to strip off the original paint. This would cause a loss of the electrostatic primer and would leave your vehicle more vulnerable to rusting . Any thoughts on this?

3. Will a change of color drastically reduce resale value? My mechanic seems to think so .
Old 20th June 2009, 18:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Agree to an earlier post. All we come across are Black and Silver Mondeos, so +1 to the red color . Will go with the persona of the car, and will contribute a lot to the road presence of an already impressive vehicle.

1. Will a full repainting (with color change) give the same effect as OEM paint?

2. I read elsewhere on this forum, that for a color change you would need to strip off the original paint. This would cause a loss of the electrostatic primer and would leave your vehicle more vulnerable to rusting . Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for the suggestion on the color choice. I too prefer Red over Black. Eagerly waiting to know answers to the queries you posted, am also worried about the quality of paint finish. But I am not worried about the resale value, anyways there wouldn't be many takers even if I give out my Mondeo for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@novice
Red colour looks good.
If y0u stay in south Bangalore, Checkout with SAI Colorium at JP Nagar, It's is in Sarakki Rd, They do a neat job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
Another option to confuse you: Blue. More electric blue with a lot of metallic shine, like the Aquarius Fiesta 1.6s, it might suit the car and it would stand out unlike any other Mondeo!

Cheers!
Payne
Thanks for the suggestions.
Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestions on full body repainting (possibly color change) of Mondeo-st220.jpg  

Need suggestions on full body repainting (possibly color change) of Mondeo-dsc01870.jpg  

Old 30th June 2009, 21:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

For painting options in BLR, please look @
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bangalore.html

It has many recommendations, and my experiences are also posted here.

Cheers,
Old 1st July 2009, 13:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
For painting options in BLR, please look @
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bangalore.html

It has many recommendations, and my experiences are also posted here.
Thanks for the information. Lathangi Ford quoted Rs.45K and Metro Ford Rs.1lakh for the same color repaint. Do you think the quote from Lathangi Ford reasonable based on your experience? Also I will check with Sai Colorium before making a decision.

After reading through the thread you mentioned, I am worried about the after effects of color change especially the rusting aspect. So I may drop that idea and go for the same color repaint instead.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:26   #15
BHPian

Sent you the details through PM. Please check it out.

Most Viewed