Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:07   #196

Words cant express what a great job you've done.
Very impressed.

Dont like itb's but now you've tempted me to the dark side.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:36   #197
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, it's an honour. And welcome to the dark side
Old 19th August 2010, 11:04   #198
BHPian

Pranan, I got here tru the link you send me in regards to the speedo cluster.. went tru this thread and MUST say you have a neat this going... people like me know a lil about whats under the hood... and dare not look in that direction.

Would like to see pics of the final destination where the mod reached.

all the best!!
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:46   #199

dude did you cc the bare head when you had it off.
just the head.

Some feedback for your porting.
a. You should have at least used the flexi shaft.
b. Your bowl work needs a lot of improvement.

Next time you have the head off send it to me. Ill do a free Port and Polish for you.
And balance the flow out between the runners. With my home made flow bench.

The good news is you've not ruined the heads. And the still more good news is there is still more power to be had from that head.

What head gasket did you use. Ive seen nothing but China Junk in the market so far.
You got a source for Orignal Honda Head gaskets ?

Im waiting on my valve seals, cam seal and head gasket before I start porting my head.
If your ever in Bangalore in the next few days. Pop over and check out the port and polish on our latest Balneo build.

The cam is so radical the lobes are rubbing on the valve adjuster nuts.
First stage 3 build Im doing. Mohits was more of a stage 2 build.

Your car must be making at least 85 BHP at the rear wheels by now
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:05   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoy View Post
dude did you cc the bare head when you had it off.
just the head.

Some feedback for your porting.
a. You should have at least used the flexi shaft.
b. Your bowl work needs a lot of improvement.

Next time you have the head off send it to me. Ill do a free Port and Polish for you.
And balance the flow out between the runners. With my home made flow bench.

The good news is you've not ruined the heads. And the still more good news is there is still more power to be had from that head.

What head gasket did you use. Ive seen nothing but China Junk in the market so far.
You got a source for Orignal Honda Head gaskets ?

Im waiting on my valve seals, cam seal and head gasket before I start porting my head.
If your ever in Bangalore in the next few days. Pop over and check out the port and polish on our latest Balneo build.

The cam is so radical the lobes are rubbing on the valve adjuster nuts.
First stage 3 build Im doing. Mohits was more of a stage 2 build.

Your car must be making at least 85 BHP at the rear wheels by now
Did cc the head. 32.8cc, and after some work on the combustion chamber, 33.5cc across all 4. I see the folly in using a Dremel now, there are better and quicker ways to get the work done than an electric die grinder. I've compensated for the differences in flowpaths across the runners but haven't taken pics of the latest work I've done. The bowls were worked on afterwards too. Nonetheless, will be sending you the head when I buy the Bisi 3.6 . You will find improvements that are obvious to you but I've missed. I've only seen head gaskets come in full kits, and that one is good for stock and nothing more. I will be ordering a couple of Honda HGs from the US when I open the head again. That next time will be a complete balls-out spending spree, hopefully sometime in December. Majestic Honda is the best source of original Honda stuff, but they do geolocation and don't serve their webpages outside the US. Get in through a proxy and you will find everything you need.

There are a couple of other sellers, but don't remember their links right now. You will find them in my bookmarks that I've posted in the backstage section on RDDreams.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_p...php?vin=&Label[ProductID]=CIVIC&Label[YearID]=1996&Label[DoorID]=4&Label[GradeID]=EX&Label[AreaID]=KA&Label[TransmissionID]=5MT&Label[SectionID]=ENGINE&Label[IllustrationGroupID]=CYLINDER+HEAD+%28VTEC%29&ProductID=4&YearID=14&Do orID=4&GradeID=8&AreaID=2&TransmissionID=3&Section ID=1&IllustrationGroupID=2065

Last edited by pranavt : 22nd August 2010 at 12:21.
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:03   #201

Dude the best advise I can give you. Or to anybody who is doing head porting.
Take it easy on your first port and polish job. Try and remove as little material as you can.
Focus on just the finish / texture. Else you will do more harm than good.

Its very hard to fix a head ported by somebody else. In fact as a rule I do not touch engines if they have been moded by somebody else.

So take it easy. the number one mistake made by people on their first few P&P jobs is over doing it.

Whats your power target ? 400-500 BHP ?
Im putting off my Rods and Piston purchase for now. Maybe we can buy our parts together. I should have more funds by Dec. Blown the bank on round 1.
We can take both the cars down to CBE and tune the maps on a real dyno.
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:28   #202
Senior - BHPian

Power target is in the 350-400 whp range. Will be posting the block to keep the sleeves from moving and will be doing a DIY water/alcohol injection setup to help with the low octane levels and keep a safe margin in case of bad fuel. Better to spend some money as insurance than pray for good fuel. Will see how the stock sleeves are when the block is taken out, that will decide whether I stick to 75mm bore or .5 oversize. Good news is that we can use FJ's rods, and by then he might have come out with rods that don't lower the compression a lot. The current build is finally getting to completion; I just received the CNC'd flange and runners and they're just awesome Cut from solid blocks of steel. The flange has also got the oversized gasket-matched intake/exhaust ports that are on the head. The hold-up was because of the tapering inside and outside diameters of the runners. Even after it was cut, seperating the runners from the waste block required cutting up the block from outside and cutting up the inner waste into 3 pieces for removal. Each runner took 10 hours from start to finish, after a spare piece was done to check for quality and final approval.

Had a thought about the runner length and decided to go longer and preserve atleast some semblance of low-end torque. The setup will end up looking like the one you posted on RDDreams about a guy's custom plenum. Have already got nice K&N socks to go with the new velocity stacks. Will be doing 4 x 180 degree bent pipes welded to a flange that will mount to the ITBs by screws. These will face the front and get fresh air from just under the windshield through an inconspicuous scoop in the hood.

Looking forward to Dec. A friend is probably flying down from the US, so I'll get him to carry almost everything except the heavy stuff like the turbo, intercooler, etc. Will save a bundle on shipping charges.
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:01   #203
Senior - BHPian

One of the last updates for this thread as the car virtually nears the end of its naturally aspirated life.

The engine was rebuilt by myself with new gaskets, seals and piston rings and it ended up working, and working well ... The final step of the NA journey is my "custom" Stage 3 cam LOL. That will be going in at the end of this week or the next, depending on when I can spare time. After that, the 4500 RPM revlimit will be taken off that was put by me after the rebuild. The result of the new cam, my porting and polishing and various other changes will be seen for the first time, and dyno runs will be done in Mumbai and at Red Roosters' in Bangalore. The Mumbai dyno result will be for showing off and the Bangalore dyno result will be for my baseline before I make more changes

Since the last update, a lot of things have been upgraded and the others are sitting in my storage waiting to be put to use.

Perhaps a couple more updates will follow before a new thread is created to chronicle the next stage of this build which will perhaps be the first of its kind in India.
Old 24th November 2010, 08:54   #204
BHPian

Outstanding work Pranav,really impressive. Was a pleasure to see the car in flesh. Keep up the good work and best of luck for your future planned upgrades and mods.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:01   #205
Senior - BHPian

Thank you

Next time you're coming to Mumbai, let me know in advance; will not make you run around so much. And the revlimit will be lifted by then, so you get a drive. And please get your Lancer or 5 next time
Old 25th November 2010, 12:00   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Just ordered Bisimoto's valvesprings. Upto 14,000 RPM of fun . Need to get the crank balanced and lighter valvetrain components. Details of anyone who does balancing of crankshafts in Mumbai?
Will hook you up with a guy from where i did my B16 Crank. Very Professional work.
Old 25th November 2010, 23:13   #207
BHPian

Good to hear you rebuilt the engine on your own. How many men did u need to loosen up the crank pully bolt ??

All the very best for you first in India itbs + turbo setup

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 25th November 2010 at 23:15.
Old 26th November 2010, 01:23   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Good to hear you rebuilt the engine on your own. How many men did u need to loosen up the crank pully bolt ??
Thanks

As for the crank pulley bolt, I did have a relevant signature for a short period of time which went something like "When removing the crank pulley bolt, keep your fat friends handy".

Took a bit of ingenuity on my part since the block was already out of the car and when I tried to loosen the bolt, the whole block would roll over. Finally put the block under my bed, a small spanner wedged between the block and the flywheel to make sure the crank wouldn't turn, a couple of fat friends sitting on the bed and one swift kick with my torque wrench . Though this is after I cut open my palm and got a few stitches, so some of the other methods weren't so clever or safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
All the very best for you first in India itbs + turbo setup
Thanks again..
Old 26th November 2010, 04:57   #209
BHPian

Jitu did u get it done at acd dynamic balancing?
Old 26th November 2010, 23:56   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Will hook you up with a guy from where i did my B16 Crank. Very Professional work.
In Mumbai or elsewhere?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks