Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 23:51   #211
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!

Thought of posting an update since a couple of members asked about the status of the car within the last week or so..

Lots of changes inside the engine bay and a new exterior colour. What started off as this:
My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-100_0050_res.jpg

Has basically been completed at this:

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_67942.jpg

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_67952.jpg

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_67962.jpg

They've taken me over a great journey of knowledge, made me some great friends and helped me make a mark in a very short period of time and at a young age.

The engine bay is dirty, I know. An open air scoop with no filtration and rain does that. The engine bay will get some love now since the ITB setup is pretty much at its final and most refined spec. All the vac tubing has been pushed under the ITBs to get a cleaner look. A wire tuck will follow when the engine is taken out for installation of forged internals and other turbo goodies. The turbo job will happen over the next 3 months and should be another rollercoaster since I've set some very high goals for myself. Looking forward to sharing the build progress whenever I start.

Cheers.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2012 at 17:57. Reason: Re-uploading as attachment. Using IMG tags on the full size image breaks the page layout. Thanks
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 16:05   #212
Senior - BHPian

Kitna deti hai???

PS: I am an Idiot! Actually wanted to ask when you are doing your Dyno test. Publish some results soon man. Good job with the car!
Old 20th June 2011, 18:46   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Kitna deti hai???

PS: I am an Idiot! Actually wanted to ask when you are doing your Dyno test. Publish some results soon man. Good job with the car!
Mileage of around 8 in the city, around 12-13 on highway. With a very light foot. The throttle input has to be consciously controlled. Haven't been able to spare time to travel so far away for a dyno test, will try and get it done within the next couple of weeks.
Old 21st June 2011, 03:44   #214
BHPian

What AFR's are you using Pranav? Unless you are completely down on torque & have to rev the engine quite a bit to get moving in stop-&-go traffic, i reckon you could get a LOT more mileage in the city.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:15   #215
Senior - BHPian

Around 12:1 at idling, then leaned out to 16.5-17:1 at low loads, 13.5:1 at high rpm. You have to run them that rich at idle RPMs, ITBs will not idle otherwise. That's why most track cars running ITBs have a fast idle. Running an Alpha-N map (TPS vs RPM tables). Have loads of torque right from idle. Beyond 3.5k, you are pushed back into the seat.

Last edited by pranavt : 21st June 2011 at 16:17.
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 19:34   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Around 12:1 at idling, then leaned out to 16.5-17:1 at low loads, 13.5:1 at high rpm. You have to run them that rich at idle RPMs, ITBs will not idle otherwise. That's why most track cars running ITBs have a fast idle. Running an Alpha-N map (TPS vs RPM tables). Have loads of torque right from idle. Beyond 3.5k, you are pushed back into the seat.
Pranavt : Wow thats is really pumps a good Gforce to recon with!!! What is the fastest conering speed you have acheived?
I completely agree, this hobby gets you over to lots of friends who share the same passion.
So when are you planning for the turbo? and the question is from? RRP?
Old 21st June 2011, 22:55   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Pranavt : Wow thats is really pumps a good Gforce to recon with!!! What is the fastest conering speed you have acheived?
I completely agree, this hobby gets you over to lots of friends who share the same passion.
So when are you planning for the turbo? and the question is from? RRP?
No racetrack in Mumbai, and no stunts on public roads.

I've already got most of the parts for the turbo job (forged internals, wastegate, 1000cc injectors, etc) except for the turbo itself, another couple of months. All work will be done in-house, nobody else will be involved in the build, as usual.
Old 22nd June 2011, 06:37   #218
BHPian

So you will be having some kind of airbox around your ITB's when you go turbo?
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:56   #219
Senior - BHPian

Yes, a custom intake manifold first designed in CAD, then will do FEA on the design to make sure it allows equal airflow into all 4 throttles. Getting a perfect seal will be critical to not allow any boostleaks. Designing that should be loads of fun
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:11   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Yes, a custom intake manifold first designed in CAD, then will do FEA on the design to make sure it allows equal airflow into all 4 throttles. Getting a perfect seal will be critical to not allow any boostleaks. Designing that should be loads of fun

Cool!

When using TPS vs RPM signal calibration, how are you compensating for A/C load? Do you have a saperate matrix for that?

Last edited by 1self : 23rd June 2011 at 11:17.
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:08   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Cool!

When using TPS vs RPM signal calibration, how are you compensating for A/C load? Do you have a saperate matrix for that?
Not really. The load is constant as long as the compressor is turned on, so the idle is automatically raised to around 1300 RPM from the normal 900 rpm idle. It could be idled lower with AC but there's no torque below 1500 rpm because of the massive load. Some new parts are on the way. The engine will be getting a wiretuck, and the CAD work will be started tonight, hope to put up some WIP shots of the intake I have in mind.
Old 8th August 2011, 08:33   #222
BHPian

Pranav,

How are you managing to 'smoothen' the MAP signal & get responsivness at the same time in day-to-day traffic? The reason i ask is that i know you have connected all the throttel body vaccum lines to the vaccum 'accumulator' & thence running the map vaccum through that. How responsive is that? I think your biggest hurdle is a stable but responsive MAP signal.

I believe a better solution would be to have individual vaccum accumulators at all throttle bodies like toyota 20valve engines have.

What do you think?

Last edited by 1self : 8th August 2011 at 08:39.
Old 8th August 2011, 12:14   #223
Senior - BHPian

The MAP value is measured by teeing vac lines from all 4 throttles. However, this is not through the accumulator but directly connected to the MAP sensor. The MAP reading is stable, if you can call it that. With ITBs, you will damn never get any vac readings above 15-17% throttle. It usually reads ambient pressure (around 960-870mbar) at 20% throttle lol. However, I see MAP readings of around 300 mbar at idling, which is pretty close to what people with plenum will see.

The fuelling/ignition maps are Alpha-N, so MAP readings are not taken into consideration when calculating the fuelling. It's a hell of a lot more responsive than a plenum with a single TB, mainly due to the short intake tract. There is no hurdle to speak of. The car's been running perfectly fine as a daily-driver, while having the responsiveness and punch beyond 3k RPM.
Old 15th September 2011, 04:17   #224
Senior - BHPian

A small peek backstage into some of my research. That's a transverse cut of a Honda City VTEC head.

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-ohchead.jpg

Apologies for hiding the important bits, some of the work is way too important to be shared yet. All will be revealed in time.

Just a small note. Requests for original pics by PM will not be entertained right now. Thank you.

Last edited by bblost : 15th September 2011 at 12:12. Reason: typo, as requested.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 20:38   #225
BHPian

Been too long since your last update bro.

What's been happeneing with the 'lifestyle choice?' ;-)

Most Viewed