Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 11:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Around 50K, give or take a few thousand. Don't know if used ones are available, these would be imported from Malaysia.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:52   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@DocG: I've been reading a lot of you posts and a lot of them in different sections show that you're a diplomat's son and you seem to ridicule people with lower budgets using cheaper techniques.
It would be nice if you understand everyone is not well off and understand the point of view of the modder.
Not anymore, and yes I do understand that not everyone may be as well off as the next guy, but I never mean to ridicule anyone. The reason the tone seems that way is that I strongly believe that if you can't get it done right then don't try! My problem is with the cheaper techniques and not the lower budgets!!

It's simple really, you drive your car, you drive your car fast. Now lets send all those millions spent in R&D on your car for a toss, and get some cut springs and stiffened shocks. I personally would never sit in such a car. I also implore others not to go down this route due to budget constraints, it's not worth risking your life over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
The following brands make suspension stuff for the OHC from what I know. There probably are others that I'm unaware of.
Springs: Pedders, Eibach, HotBits.
Dampers/Shocks: Pedders, Hotbits.
Coilovers: HotBits, DMS.

None of the brands that you have suggested make anything for an OHC AFAIK. DMS coilovers, new, cost around 150-200K Indian Rupees.

I'm sorry, but what exactly do you mean by that? At no point were corners cut to get a cheap job done. The stiffening of shocks was undertaken after I had checked out Viper's car which had the same setup and rode very well.
Coilovers more often than not cost more than a set of springs and shocks. So you have the options you've listed above.

I would still not trust a custom shock no matter how much calculation has been done. Theory does not always work out perfectly in the real world. In R&D trials are held in controlled environments. Here you are the lab rat. I hope the experiment works out OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
They make automatic weapons. Maybe you mean H&R.
Yes I meant H&R that was a typo.

Last edited by DocG : 24th July 2009 at 12:54.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

^^ well manufacturers invest millions in R&D, but when the lot goes to mass manufacturing there are lots of engineering and cost constraints.
so a balance is struck between the various parameters and what we get rolled out of the assembly line is an average performing car.

for example a simple FFE job does well on a stock car. or say a CAI also gives the car a better breathing.

well your point regarding the safety parameters for the aftermarket jobs stands well and so these things have to be done from only experienced tuners.
Old 24th July 2009, 18:31   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Nice to hear that it's holding up well!! Do you feel the lateral movement of the chasis flex now? I'm sure the car is way better in a straight line but not too sure about the % of improvement in cornering.

Oh Sunilb is in town.. Anxious to get a TD on your car by now is he? hehe Tell him I said 'Hi'
Hey Ankit...I finally got to meet Pranav. Had a drive on his OHC and was very impressed with the enhanced sability and high speed cornering abilities all credit to his new stiffened setup.I did'nt feel the lateral movement at all...maybe Im over-expressive but believe me it felt just great.

Was blown away with sheer free flow of the power when Pranav pressed on the accelerator with the revv clocking 7000rpm and set the wheels spinning instantly...immediately made up my mind for getting the same setup for me, called Viper next who agreed to come along and tomorrow I'm meeting Viper for the Custom 4x2x1 headers and FFE.

Very excited for tomorrow's meet...
Old 27th July 2009, 01:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

God I love this car! Had an awesome drive yesterday coming from Lamington Road. Touched 160 kph easily but the amazing thing was the planted feel of the car. The Bandra Reclamation curve was taken at over triple digit speeds in the innermost lane (the whole road was completely empty) and the car didn't flinch, kept its lane and chewed off the curve like it was a straight. All the way, the car behaved beautifully. This was my first real spirited drive after the suspension work, with no rain around.

Loving the engine note too. Sounds more refined but throaty. Don't believe in seat-of-the-pants-dyno readings and will not post about the theoretical million horsepower increase or differences in throttle response. Now time to push this car to the next level. All will be known in a few months

Last edited by pranavt : 27th July 2009 at 01:03.
Old 27th July 2009, 08:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

great news. making the ohc planted to the roads is sure an achievement. next upgrade should be some good supportive seats.
Old 28th July 2009, 14:25   #52
BHPian

great to hear pranav, I am glad you are enjoying yourself. Your car looks good lowered too. Are you planning on a nice set of wheels now? Maybe you should get her to the next Mumbai meet.
Old 28th July 2009, 14:46   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Pranav, call me next time you townside (take my cell no from my facebook page). I need a drive in your car.
How loud is your FFE?
I am planning on going and getting my FFE silenced a bit now. I know it will affect performance a bit, but it's too loud and cops keep harassing. Infact, the other day i saw these bunch of kids (with open pipes) at carter road zooming like fools down the road and they looked so wannabe. I surely don't wanna get categorized in the same lot due to the sound of my car's FFE.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:16   #54
BHPian

I too got a custom FFE done on my OHC from Viper inspired by Pranav's setup but being a bit cautious on the decible level of the exhaust note to be a bit lower which was also shared by Viper for the basic concern of being caught by the traffic cops.
On my 1st TD with Viper on havin it I felt it to be reasonably loud and satisfying opening up at 3000rpm but now after a weeks' drive I've started feeling the note on the lower side and wished it would have been louder to flaunt the FFE setup. I just love the experience of heads turning on hearing the roar.
Will have to ask Viper if he ca n get it done when it goes for the tuneup and stiffeneing next week.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
great to hear pranav, I am glad you are enjoying yourself. Your car looks good lowered too. Are you planning on a nice set of wheels now? Maybe you should get her to the next Mumbai meet.
I'm getting my car for the Mumbai - Lonavala drive. As for the wheels, I love these Enkeis and shudder at the thought of replacing them with something else. Love them so much that they're getting refinished/repainted after the monsoons. Also depends on what tyres I buy. Hopefully those fancy Yokohama semi-slicks come in 14" sizes. And besides, not anytime soon, other things are in the pipeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Pranav, call me next time you townside (take my cell no from my facebook page). I need a drive in your car.
How loud is your FFE?
I am planning on going and getting my FFE silenced a bit now. I know it will affect performance a bit, but it's too loud and cops keep harassing. Infact, the other day i saw these bunch of kids (with open pipes) at carter road zooming like fools down the road and they looked so wannabe. I surely don't wanna get categorized in the same lot due to the sound of my car's FFE.
Doctorsahab, the FFE is quite loud. Never been harassed by cops though, mainly due to the cops in the 'burbs being a lot less strict and also because I know their regular hideouts on my daily route. Neutral gear is my best friend during those times when I see them on the road. Come for the Lonavala drive on Aug 2nd, don't know if I'll be coming south-side anytime soon. As for the wannabe bit, color your hair white and drive with windows open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilb View Post
I too got a custom FFE done on my OHC from Viper inspired by Pranav's setup but being a bit cautious on the decible level of the exhaust note to be a bit lower which was also shared by Viper for the basic concern of being caught by the traffic cops.
On my 1st TD with Viper on havin it I felt it to be reasonably loud and satisfying opening up at 3000rpm but now after a weeks' drive I've started feeling the note on the lower side and wished it would have been louder to flaunt the FFE setup. I just love the experience of heads turning on hearing the roar.
Will have to ask Viper if he ca n get it done when it goes for the tuneup and stiffeneing next week.
Congrats Sunil. Keep one thing in mind though, if you're not going to stay in Mumbai for long and will be handing over the car to someone else during that time, they will consider it a huge liability with all the attention from coppers.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:34   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilb View Post
let's get our setups exchanged then!!! I'll speak to jiggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Come for the Lonavala drive on Aug 2nd,
Who, what, when? PM me details
Old 28th July 2009, 18:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...-2009-a-3.html
Old 28th July 2009, 19:57   #58
BHPian

What semi slick are you talking about?
Old 28th July 2009, 20:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Advan Neovas. Don't know if you term them as semi-slick or not, just called them that based on their tread shape and amount.
Old 28th July 2009, 21:25   #60
BHPian

I am running 195/60R14 Neovas, you can run the same on your OHC, perfect fit. Have fun.

Most Viewed