Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:44   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: "The First" from the SPEEDSPORT stable !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Try cranking with the throttle pressed around 7-10%

Tried that as well. Though I have never ever had to do that earlier on. Don't think that is needed in an MPFI engine. It always started 1/2 self irrespective of weather etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
pranav - isn't that a procedure to crank in a carb engine incase of an overflow?

Can the FPR be at fault? or the Fuel pump?

Agreed, that was mostly true for Carb engines. The FPR gauge shows a constant 3, so that is ruled out too. I suspect plug connectors or maybe the ignition coil. Just gut feel. I may be wrong.

Cheers
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:40   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Tried that as well. Though I have never ever had to do that earlier on. Don't think that is needed in an MPFI engine. It always started 1/2 self irrespective of weather etc
Based on your own observation that the engine was running very rich. If fuel has puddled up in the intake, you need to get the circulation going quick. The fuel correction trims are usually on the higher side on cold starts, so the extra fuel does not help while cranking. What you end up with is a cold wet cylinder that cannot sustain a flame. The 10-15 cranks heat up the internals and flush the fuel out and your car starts.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:42   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on your own observation that the engine was running very rich. If fuel has puddled up in the intake, you need to get the circulation going quick. The fuel correction trims are usually on the higher side on cold starts, so the extra fuel does not help while cranking. What you end up with is a cold wet cylinder that cannot sustain a flame. The 10-15 cranks heat up the internals and flush the fuel out and your car starts.

Are you an automotive engineer or just a "super informed petrolhead" What you said is logical, hence the question !!

Life is a learning process, one who learns everyday or at every oppurtunity is wise, those who think that they "know it all" are either egoistic or idiots

Cheers & Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:00   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So is it good for MPFi cars as well? Some cars mention that you must not press the gas pedal when cranking (Eg. most maruti suzukis). In case of Carb cars - it is an usual practice - depress the gas pedal when cranking, in case of an overflow.

Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:35   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So is it good for MPFi cars as well? Some cars mention that you must not press the gas pedal when cranking (Eg. most maruti suzukis). In case of Carb cars - it is an usual practice - depress the gas pedal when cranking, in case of an overflow.

Thanks

MPFI cars do not need to be cranked with a depressed accelerator. As per my understanding, in case of Carb engines it is recommended to depress the accelerator, so that the butterfly opens up & the excess fuel is removed from the carb & the engine fires up

Cheers
Old 24th December 2010, 00:00   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
It is done for the reasons I explained above. It is not recommended as the manufacturer does not account for aftermarket ECUs overfuelling the engine making it run rich.
Old 24th December 2010, 20:35   #322
Senior - BHPian

Starting problem disappeared as unexpectedly as it came. Though she takes atleast 3 cranks still. But that is way better than 15 !!
Old 24th December 2010, 21:54   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
MPFI cars do not need to be cranked with a depressed accelerator. As per my understanding, in case of Carb engines it is recommended to depress the accelerator, so that the butterfly opens up & the excess fuel is removed from the carb & the engine fires up

Cheers
Hey there,

I find logic in the point that MPFI engines do not need to be cranked with a depressed accelerator pedal, however, my car's (Alto) manual mentions otherwise for situations when the car wouldn't start. I feel that your car's manual might also have such a point (since it is also a Suzuki).

Any idea on why it could be so?

Drive safe.
Old 29th December 2010, 20:51   #324
Senior - BHPian

All of a sudden I have 9.5 kmpl instead of the earlier 7.5 kmpl. Me = Driving the way I always used to. Maybe the ECU is in the learning process.

So far = so good. The car will be garaged for tweaking after I get back my Pajero !! To sort out small glitches.

All izzzz well !!!!

Cheers
Old 30th December 2010, 21:14   #325
Senior - BHPian

The car went back to like 15-20 cranks for start up..idling at 3000 RPM !! I really hope all of this tweaking gets sorted, sooner than later.

If nothing else it is embarrasing to run a car which needs that many cranks to start up.

Phil are you listening ??

Sort it out once & for all

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 30th December 2010 at 21:34.
Old 1st January 2011, 21:04   #326
BHPian

@ricky : if its soo embarassing to run then wouldnt it be logical to come in and get it sorted out ? told you your crank position sensor is acting up now only if you pick up your lazy bones and land up at the workshop - not at 3pm wanting the car back in a couple of hours.

whats your point on going on and on about the same thing when you wont leave the car at the workshop ?

you keep cranking on the road and on the forum from ecu malfuntion to what not, but wont drop the car to be looked at.
you wont come in the morning, you wont drop the car over night. keep driving it , keep cranking it and keep looking for me on the forum .
you think it'll fix itself on its own or how ?

now you'll say i need the pajero back only then i'll drop the swift THATS a call you take.

and as for your pajero, cross is fixed. and for all the engine seals leaking - your engine has full back comrpession hence the leaks if i fix them ( by pulling the gearbox,transfer case out in a couple of months it leak again. soo NOW take a call on when you want to take the pajero or drop the swift .

for me to listen to you , YOU have to listen to me. being enthusiastic is great but to a point where its over bearing is good for no one.

phil
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:57   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsport View Post
@ricky : if its soo embarassing to run then wouldnt it be logical to come in and get it sorted out ? told you your crank position sensor is acting up now only if you pick up your lazy bones and land up at the workshop - not at 3pm wanting the car back in a couple of hours.

whats your point on going on and on about the same thing when you wont leave the car at the workshop ?

you keep cranking on the road and on the forum from ecu malfuntion to what not, but wont drop the car to be looked at.
you wont come in the morning, you wont drop the car over night. keep driving it , keep cranking it and keep looking for me on the forum .
you think it'll fix itself on its own or how ?

now you'll say i need the pajero back only then i'll drop the swift THATS a call you take.

and as for your pajero, cross is fixed. and for all the engine seals leaking - your engine has full back comrpession hence the leaks if i fix them ( by pulling the gearbox,transfer case out in a couple of months it leak again. soo NOW take a call on when you want to take the pajero or drop the swift .

for me to listen to you , YOU have to listen to me. being enthusiastic is great but to a point where its over bearing is good for no one.

phil

So has the crank position sensor come ? I am willing to leave the Swift "overnight" but I do need to take the Pajero back (as I need a car to drive)

So the Pajero is fixed in totality ? Should I take it today ? The cross is finally changed, that is nice, the engine oil drip every now & then is still there ? It is only today on the forum that you are telling me about the Pajero, so I guess I will speak with you & figure out the course of action.

As for my talking about the misbehaviour of the Swift, I do not see why you are getting all worked up. I have said VERY nice things about the build - so I guess it is fair if I put down something which is not nice too. Chill buddy !

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 2nd January 2011 at 12:09.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:41   #328
Senior - BHPian

The Swift is back at Speedsport for the final tweaks !! The starting problem , erratic idle, excessive fuel consumption, and installation of Hella Comet 500's on the front bumper.

Hope to get the car back in top shape, with the glitches gone for good.

Will update, when I have any "news" !!

Cheers
Old 7th January 2011, 21:09   #329
Senior - BHPian

Awaiting update anxiously !! Where art thou Mr. Speedsport ? Still wrapped up with the tuning or what ?

Cheers
Old 23rd January 2011, 17:56   #330
Senior - BHPian

Update :

I finally got the car back today. The idle is smooth, the smell of unburnt fuel is gone. Drives brilliantly. The tweaking Phil did seems to have gone well.

So the sleeper Swift is on the prowl again !!

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks